CFL uniforms: an observation

BJ Sands

Montreal: They've always gone with this type of look. I don't love it but I completely understand why it's being used.

Can you explain this? I find their look just atrocious, and I really don't understand it. Is it based on a historic look of some sort?

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Montreal: They've always gone with this type of look. I don't love it but I completely understand why it's being used.

Can you explain this? I find their look just atrocious, and I really don't understand it. Is it based on a historic look of some sort?

I agree, anotjher mis-match of previous looks and modern garbage. Helmet doens't match the colour scheme at all anymore, And the logo, just has to go. Every season I hooe and pray they come up with something new only to be dissappointed,

Yeah, like I said, I don't love it either. It seems like just strips of fabric sewn together at random.

But to explain it..... It's based on their look from the 1970s.

Once they came back (re-located from Baltimore) they went with a similar look (a blue jersey and a white jersey with the opposite coloured sleeves) and it's slowly kind of evolved but the one consistent is the jersey is one colour and the sleeves are a different colour.

But as they say...a picture is worth a thousand words, so this link will probably show you better than my attempt to explain it.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

1297341452346_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&si

Watching the Stamps-Eskies game and my gosh. The Stampeders away uniforms sure are terrible. I don't know if I've ever been so against a uniform set.

Change them!

I was watching too, is it just me or is there a hint of red in those black helmets?

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Watching the Stamps-Eskies game and my gosh. The Stampeders away uniforms sure are terrible. I don't know if I've ever been so against a uniform set.

Change them!

I cannot get over how beautiful Edmonton's home uniform looks compared to their horrible away uniform.

spacer.png

Change them!

I was watching too, is it just me or is there a hint of red in those black helmets?
IIRC, there are red "sparkles" in the black paint/shell (or whatever the black is)

IbjBaeE.png

Change them!

IIRC, there are red "sparkles" in the black paint/shell (or whatever the black is)

Yeah...that's exactly what I was thinking. I do not like that.

I get that the CFL was trying to do something different with those uniforms for the American Expansion teams.

It was stupid and looked weird, but I at least get it.

But when they did this in 1995...that was possibly the worst CFL uniform ever (at least in my opinion).

1995_zpsadf2aa02.jpg1995_Away_zps0ef64125.jpg

The CFL might be less commercialized than the NFL, but the sponsor patches and needless advertisements on CFL jerseys clutter their look up way too much.

The ads are far from "needless".

Without access to their books, I don't know that to be the case.

Three teams are public, so you can look at their annual reports.

There is nothing in the CFL today that is worse than these.

Damon-Allen-Memphis-Mad-Dogs-3.jpg

hbagwcy0gf2ef7agwe9vklttp.jpg

I get that the CFL was trying to do something different with those uniforms for the American Expansion teams.

It was stupid and looked weird, but I at least get it.

But when they did this in 1995...that was possibly the worst CFL uniform ever (at least in my opinion).

1995_zpsadf2aa02.jpg1995_Away_zps0ef64125.jpg

As a 90s kid who doesn't know much about CFL tradition (or at least I didn't before reading through this thread), I enjoy those big logo uniforms as much as I did the NBA ones, so at least there's one demographic for them

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Archived