CFL uniforms: an observation

BJ Sands

The only gripe I have with Calgary's is that the colour combo is too much like Ottawa's. Calgary needs to go back to red and white with silver trim. Give up on the black already, it's not your colour.

The Stampeders have used black in their uniforms since 1990. Since then, Ottawa is now on their third team and even dropped the black for a couple of years in the mid nineties. We own it, not a first year expansion team with a stupid name.

Calgary hardly owns it. Ottawa football teams were using black and red long before the Stamps hopped on the BFBS bandwagon. The team chose the name Redblacks because the colours are deeply connected to the Ottawa sports landscape, every major team in the city has used them. On top of that, the Stamps, much like Saskatchewan, would look much better without black in their uniforms. Both Calgary sports teams decided to add black as an outline colour and ended up going way overboard with it. At least the Flames have yellow to differentiate them a bit. The Stamps could own red and white (and possibly silver), and let Ottawa own black and red, like they rightfully should.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now it's a toss up between BC Lions and Stamps. I may side with the Stamps due to the number font being legible and that the guns on the shoulder aren't really a Canadian Friendly idea, which is why I like it. Get rid of the writing on the pants and this is great.

I want to see a red and white version of these Stamps unis. I would like them so much more than what they currently have. Although if that were to happen I'd like to see the regular red helmet stay.

That being said, even though I'm a Lions fan, these are the best of the signature bunch with BC at #2, mostly because of the Lions numbers.

iGLssSH.png

I have to say, I'm surprised at all the love for the stamps signature set. I guess I just can't get past the chrome horse.

Then again, when put up against the horrible Eskies away uniform, it does look better doesn't it?

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

The lids and everything else are OK, but that jersey... man, could they have put any less effort into that thing? I mean, I'd love to hear the thinking behind that one.

"Uh guys, lunch is pretty close and we told the boss we'd have the west division sets in by noon, so why don'cha just slap the EE on a green jersey and send it in. You wanna go to Sbarro or Subway today?"

That thing sucks, there's no other word for it. It's all the more painful considering what a solid set of unis the Eskimos had pre 1995.

I will agree that the Calgary look is great, but I can't get past the fact that it uses the Redblacks colours. You guys are the RED AND WHITE. The REDBLACKS are taken. Unless we want to go back to that Roughriders/Rough Riders thing.

The lids and everything else are OK, but that jersey... man, could they have put any less effort into that thing? I mean, I'd love to hear the thinking behind that one.

"Uh guys, lunch is pretty close and we told the boss we'd have the west division sets in by noon, so why don'cha just slap the EE on a green jersey and send it in. You wanna go to Sbarro or Subway today?"

I actually laughed out loud reading that.

The jersey is very plain. I agree. But I actually think it looks better than the Eskies road jersey.

Again, like all of these signature jerseys that have the logo on the front. Drop the front logo for numbers and it would be better.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Looks like the Eskimos' leak was pretty accurate.

crop_20694131529.jpg

crop_20694191625.jpg

crop_20694091733.jpg

crop_20694231942.jpg

The helmet striping is kind of interesting, but that's about all I can say.

I have seen worse uniforms like Edmontons away ones but not a fan of these at all but at least Reebok has not went with the college Adidas template which would make these all garbage.

Nice job giving Edmonton and Calgary the same pants striping. That'll go over great, I'm sure.

As for Calgary? Red helmets and white pants would make it tolerable but the black monochrome and Jags-esque helmet are just bad looking.

I agree with earlier sentiments. Let Ottawa be red and black (hehe) while Stamps reclaim red, white, and silver.

Oh. Hamilton won their first game in their new stadium. Huzzah! Except that they won the game in stupid grey monochrome with a helmet that used both side numbers and a pointless greyed out version of the logo.

This is exactly what people mean when they say stupid trendy alternates can ruin memorable performances.

Nice job giving Edmonton and Calgary the same pants striping. That'll go over great, I'm sure.

As for Calgary? Red helmets and white pants would make it tolerable but the black monochrome and Jags-esque helmet are just bad looking.

I agree with earlier sentiments. Let Ottawa be red and black (hehe) while Stamps reclaim red, white, and silver.

Oh. Hamilton won their first game in their new stadium. Huzzah! Except that they won the game in stupid grey monochrome with a helmet that used both side numbers and a pointless greyed out version of the logo.

This is exactly what people mean when they say stupid trendy alternates can ruin memorable performances.

No doubt Ice_Cap. I agree about Hamilton. They should have worn their regular black jersey for their very first game in their new stadium. After that, it would be perfectly fine. As for the Eskimos, their look is alright. It isn't terrible but, it is very, very boring. They could have at least made the jersey yellow. That way, it wouldn't be a boring version of their really nice home jersey. One more thing, I have to agree with Danny. The Roughriders' throwback jersey is fantastic. I honestly don't understand why Saskatchewan hasn't gone back to them full-time. Speaking of the Riders, I'm really glad that the CFL is a lot more relaxed on their jersey rules compared to the NFL. Their relaxed stance on jersey usage allows teams to have new alternate jerseys, even if they aren't very good while also being able to sport a gorgeous throwback jersey too.

Archived