CFL uniforms: an observation

BJ Sands

Montreal: They've always gone with this type of look. I don't love it but I completely understand why it's being used.

Can you explain this? I find their look just atrocious, and I really don't understand it. Is it based on a historic look of some sort?

Haven't found a specific reason for the sectioned red, white, and blue uniform - the colours were to match their other sports teams. Know they started this look in 1974 (the era and it's looks may explain some of the reason).

in the tied for 7th section of here:

http://jimmullinnow.blogspot.ca/2012/05/cfls-classic-16-uniforms-all-16-of-em.html?q=cfl+uniform+best

"T-7. 1974-1980 Montreal Alouettes

Red and white; red, white and green; and green and red. It took until 1973 for the Alouettes to truly unite with the rest of Montreal when they rolled out these uniforms which placed all of the city’s major teams on the same page.

The logo would be moved to the side of the helmet for the 1975 season. Numbers would be added to the shoulder in 1976 along with a logo on the sleeve. Any combo was definitively Montreal.

The brand – like the 1970-73 one – was from the abstract logo school. The base is an “M” flying like a bird with a blue “A” in the background. The two elements also form a bird’s eye.
When watching the Alouettes in their Reebok retros, it seemed that all was right in the football universe again. Even if, as former running back and CFL Larry Smith once noted people thought the Als looked like they were playing for the Delta Airlines. "

The old helmet logo is also explained at the site here (chris creamer's):

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/6095/Montreal_Alouettes/1975/Primary_Logo

Where the name Alouettes came from as a team name is here:

http://www.museevirtuel-virtualmuseum.ca/sgc-cms/histoires_de_chez_nous-community_memories/pm_v2.php?id=story_line&lg=English&fl=0&ex=00000785&sl=8104&pos=1

Here's the relevant part of this section:

"The name Alouettes actually came from the song that describes children plucking a skylark (Alouette) feathers from the top of its head. The owners then decided on the Alouettes name when they heard a group of snowshoers singing the popular French song in a Montreal hotel lobby. The purpose of actually calling the team, the Alouettes is that the owners wanted to get the non-football enthusiasts who are French actually excited about football. The Alouettes first season was expected, going 7-3-2, but losing in their first ever playoffs."

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The helmets are one of the biggest issues as far as CFL design goes. Each team should stick to one helmet and incorporate some sort of striping (IMO BC is the only team that can pull off the stripe-less helmet). There was a point in time where every single team had a different coloured helmet and it was awesome. With Ottawa back in the league there isn't really a way around having two teams with black helmets, but the RedBlacks' and Ti-Cats' looks are distinct enough that it wouldn't matter. Calgary really needs to just drop black from their scheme altogether. Something like this (except with sleeve stripes that match the helmet), would be a great look:

4896179021_572ba3ce49.jpg

That's a brilliant football uniform. And it emphasis why the current Stamps' look just isn't working. I always considered the Stampeders a red, white, and silver team. Black was a distant fourth. Now they're a red and black team. It's a change I just don't care for.

The helmets are one of the biggest issues as far as CFL design goes. Each team should stick to one helmet and incorporate some sort of striping (IMO BC is the only team that can pull off the stripe-less helmet). There was a point in time where every single team had a different coloured helmet and it was awesome. With Ottawa back in the league there isn't really a way around having two teams with black helmets, but the RedBlacks' and Ti-Cats' looks are distinct enough that it wouldn't matter. Calgary really needs to just drop black from their scheme altogether. Something like this (except with sleeve stripes that match the helmet), would be a great look:

It's a good look, but problem is that it looks too similar to the Argos. I do like the idea of replacing black with silver. Maybe match the helmet stripes with the sleeves.

It's a good look, but problem is that it looks too similar to the Argos. I do like the idea of replacing black with silver. Maybe match the helmet stripes with the sleeves.

I agree.

As I've stated before, I don't have as much hate for the current stamps look as most people but, there is no denying the picture above shows how they could have a really great look.

Yes, dropping black for silver would also be a great move as well. Gives them a unique look.

I also agree that BC should be the only team without a helmet stripe. Unless the 'Riders bring back the helmet with the logo that wrapped around the back of the helmet. That thing was awesome. Or the Alouettes's helmet from the 60's with the wings on it. Also awesome.

That said, Hamilton's stripe should ALWAYS be the single yellow line, nothing more, nothing less.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Was looking for a place to post this... this was the closest thing I could find to a CFL logos/uniform thread...

anyway, good find here, Calgary Stampeders jersey with 50th anniversary logo (1945-1995) that I've never seen before... might be worth adding to the site if someone can vectorize it.

source_96_111064.jpg

Fernandez.Mervyn2.jpg

I also agree that BC should be the only team without a helmet stripe. Unless the 'Riders bring back the helmet with the logo that wrapped around the back of the helmet. That thing was awesome. Or the Alouettes's helmet from the 60's with the wings on it. Also awesome.

That said, Hamilton's stripe should ALWAYS be the single yellow line, nothing more, nothing less.

The Lions' helmets of the 80's and what they have now show the difference between looking like a big-league team and looking like a high-school team. Even the Arizona Cardinals' stripeless white helmets look awkward compared to the Bills', Dolphins', and even the Colts'. Light coloured or metallic coloured helmets of CFL/NFL teams should always have a stripe.

I like the simplicity of the Lions look but we'll agree to disagree. Different opinions are what keeps this world interesting.

That logo looks so weird on that helmet, I don't know why but the current version (with the colors flipped) looks like significantly better in my opinion..

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Like this?:

tempPV4_2916--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

For those who aren't aware, the Cardinals' QBs are wearing the Black stripe on their helmets during training camp to better identify themselves on film.

Like this?:

For those who aren't aware, the Cardinals' QBs are wearing the Black stripe on their helmets during training camp to better identify themselves on film.

At first glance, I thought he was wearing a Raiders uniform.

Like this?:

I saw that yesterday on the network & was wondering why Palmer had it he was the only QB I saw but I liked the stripe alot

No stripes on a helmet, make the helmet look cheap and bland... what are equipment managers that lazy they can't put stripes on a helmet?

Maybe the reason equipment managers don't put stripes on the helmet, is because the team doesn't want stripes on the helmet. It has nothing to do with laziness.

Toronto wore all white tonight for the first time in this uniform set. Not a bad look.

Indeed.

http://m.argonauts.ca/photo_gallery/gallery/id/12901#&ui-state=dialog

That game was a matchup of the best (Toronto) and the worst (Montreal) uniforms in the league. The Argos' uniforms are NFL ready and the Alouettes' are ready for a garbage can. So many mismatched elements like most of the league.

Whenever it's on and I get a chance I like to watch the CFL. It's fast-paced, fun, and fills a void before September.

That said, I don't think I could watch it full-time because of the ghastly uniforms. It seems like every team has sets with mismatched elements, bad templates, and just random designs that don't work.

I know there are a few CFL fans on here, and I just want to know how you put up with it.

Did you watch the Super Bowl? If so, how? Surely it would have caused you to have a stroke.

superbowl48_018.jpg

Archived