Good Jerseys Ruined By Bad Sponsors

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ncf_a_vjenkins_600.jpg
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Someone might give the whole "Bimbo doesn't mean the same thing in other parts of the world" spiel. Correct... but in America it means 'a moronic slut'. So for an American team to have it proudly on their jerseys is mind boggling, especially for a new team wanting to attract fans

Gomez%20beastmode.jpg

Someone might give the whole "Bimbo doesn't mean the same thing in other parts of the world" spiel. Correct... but in America it means 'a moronic slut'. So for an American team to have it proudly on their jerseys is mind boggling, especially for a new team wanting to attract fans

Gomez%20beastmode.jpg

I honestly laugh just thinking of a woman wearing a shirt with that sponsor.

I am ok with sponsor logos on soccer kits, I am just used to it I guess. But, that said I would love to see some limits. I realize it is all about money and some teams, even some leagues, simply need to pimp out their uniforms to multiple sponsors, or to sponsors that don't add anything to the team's identity, but in a perfect world (a world not so perfect that sponsors are unnecessary, but one perfect enough to match my criteria) we would see some limits, such as:

1) Logos must use team colors or otherwise blend with the uniform (see Man U for the horrible Chevy logo as a horrible example.)

2) 1 sponsor per jersey. No shoulder, back, short, sponsors. Look at the MX League in Mexico and it is totally out of control.

The new Monterrey jerseys have 2 front jersey sponsors, sleeve sponsors, 2 back of jersey sponsors, 3 different sponsors on the shorts,

it is a NASCAR uniform with shorts.

3) No online betting sites. These are everywhere in the EPL and they are brutal.

4) No tourism boards from places that are not the home of the team. Talking to you Atletico Madrid. If you cannot advertise tourism for

Madrid or Spain, don't do it. No one wants to go to Azerbaijan, where apparently everything is on fire (???)

5) Try, just try, to have a sponsor who connects with the local community. I loved Newcastle when they had N.Brown Ale or Strongbow as a sponsor.

I buy a lot of jerseys, but part of my decision making process is whether or not I can tolerate the sponsor. I am just not going to buy a kit that has a betting site, foreign tourism board or a company I cannot respect as the main sponsor. It has meant not buying a lot of jerseys that were otherwise solid designs, but that is just the way I am.

Gomez%20beastmode.jpg

It's ironically non-ironic.

Of course, you can probably find their bread in a nearby grocery store as well.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• 3 weeks later...

Gomez%20beastmode.jpg

As a new fan...I can confirm. That awful BIMBO absolutely kills any inclination I have to buy a jersey.

That sponsor is bad on the home shirt but straight horrible on the away shirt. One more reason to hope they go down. :P

Also, curb the talk about whether or not you like sponsorship on jerseys, please. Keep this thread to a discussion of sponsorship gone wrong, not the merits of the situation.

6fQjS3M.png

I am ok with sponsor logos on soccer kits, I am just used to it I guess. But, that said I would love to see some limits. I realize it is all about money and some teams, even some leagues, simply need to pimp out their uniforms to multiple sponsors, or to sponsors that don't add anything to the team's identity, but in a perfect world (a world not so perfect that sponsors are unnecessary, but one perfect enough to match my criteria) we would see some limits, such as:

1) Logos must use team colors or otherwise blend with the uniform (see Man U for the horrible Chevy logo as a horrible example.)

2) 1 sponsor per jersey. No shoulder, back, short, sponsors. Look at the MX League in Mexico and it is totally out of control.

The new Monterrey jerseys have 2 front jersey sponsors, sleeve sponsors, 2 back of jersey sponsors, 3 different sponsors on the shorts,

it is a NASCAR uniform with shorts.

3) No online betting sites. These are everywhere in the EPL and they are brutal.

4) No tourism boards from places that are not the home of the team. Talking to you Atletico Madrid. If you cannot advertise tourism for

Madrid or Spain, don't do it. No one wants to go to Azerbaijan, where apparently everything is on fire (???)

5) Try, just try, to have a sponsor who connects with the local community. I loved Newcastle when they had N.Brown Ale or Strongbow as a sponsor.

I buy a lot of jerseys, but part of my decision making process is whether or not I can tolerate the sponsor. I am just not going to buy a kit that has a betting site, foreign tourism board or a company I cannot respect as the main sponsor. It has meant not buying a lot of jerseys that were otherwise solid designs, but that is just the way I am.

Don't forget Cardiff City's Malaysia kits.

mark-hudson_2210332b.jpg

Yeah I've always been puzzled by this..

• 2 weeks later...

Several years ago I went to Berlin on a business trip. I wanted to buy a jersey as a souvenir of my trip, but thanks to the sponsor, I just couldn't picture myself wearing this shirt out in public back in the US:

140500heimtrikot600.jpg

Gomez%20beastmode.jpg

I once bought a loaf of Bimbo bread just because it said Bimbo. Now that's brand power.

I'd say ANY jersey with a sponsor on it is ruined. I prefer the jersey to showcase the team's name and identity, not serve as a billboard.

87Redskins.png

Archived