1954 Baltimore Orioles

neo_prankster

During a random google search, I recently came across a Bowman baseball card of the Orioles first season in Baltimore.

54lenhardtb.jpg

Was this Orioles uniform a prototype that went unused when the '54 season began?

The only reason the Orioles would do birds on bat would be if the Cardinals moved instead of the Browns.

Or perhaps the uniform on the card was a St Louis Browns uniform that was painted over?

On the subject of the Orioles...

pMLB2-9634194dt.jpg

I have never seen a photo or video or anything of the Orioles wearing this hat. The only time I've seen a member of the team in this hat was when Buck Showalter wore it in an interview once. The inside label says they wore it in 1955. Anyone know if this was actually worn by the Orioles, planned to be worn by them, or did American Needle just make this hat up?

During a random google search, I recently came across a Bowman baseball card of the Orioles first season in Baltimore.54lenhardtb.jpg

Was this Orioles uniform a prototype that went unused when the '54 season began?

The only reason the Orioles would do birds on bat would be if the Cardinals moved instead of the Browns.

Or perhaps the uniform on the card was a St Louis Browns uniform that was painted over?

That right there,IMO,is a prototype. That is coping off the Cardinals.The Commissioner of baseball must have warned the O's coping off the Cardinals and to change their uniforms.

That's a speculative airbrush before uniforms were unveiled.

The artist was guessing, and based the cards on the uniforms of the old minor league Orioles the Browns displaced, who wore birds-on-bat jerseys at times during their history.

For example . . . 1939.

eff-bal39r.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The airbrushed Orioles BiB jersey is beautiful. I love how the bat goes through the L.

Obviously that design is off the table now, but back in the day when the leagues were really separate, maybe they could have used it without it violating a trademark or anything (if the Cardinals even had that design element trademarked back then.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On the subject of the Orioles...

pMLB2-9634194dt.jpg

I have never seen a photo or video or anything of the Orioles wearing this hat. The only time I've seen a member of the team in this hat was when Buck Showalter wore it in an interview once. The inside label says they wore it in 1955. Anyone know if this was actually worn by the Orioles, planned to be worn by them, or did American Needle just make this hat up?

It was never worn on their caps, but it was a helmet logo in 1955.

1woodling1955.jpg

Archived