Minimal to no use of certain logos

Sanic

I've seen this some of the time, mostly in basketball, but have you seen how some teams don't use their considered primary logo at all?

The most recent is the Wizards' rebrand. The monument-ball and the Bullets nod are the only ones being used on the uniforms, the court, and even the random team charts that players take pictures of. The jumping wizard logo? Almost nowhere to be found.

Same with the Jazz. The old script is pretty good on the unis, but the newly recolored-to-death mountain logo, I can't see it anywhere. Other notables are the Raptors and the Nuggets, but they still use the primary on where the secondary and the tertiary logos are supposed to be.

Another one is the Sens. That sideways-facing senator they introduced in 07' is nowhere at all. Not even on merchandise from the official shop. Why introduce a logo that you'll never use at all? I don't get it. Still marked as present on the logo page

At least the Yankees use their primary on merch when it doesn't relate to the uniforms.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another one is the Sens. That sideways-facing senator they introduced in 07' is nowhere at all. Not even on merchandise from the official shop. Why introduce a logo that you'll never use at all? I don't get it.

That one was removed from their identity at the end of the 2010-2011 season.

Another one is the Sens. That sideways-facing senator they introduced in 07' is nowhere at all. Not even on merchandise from the official shop. Why introduce a logo that you'll never use at all? I don't get it.

That one was removed from their identity at the end of the 2010-2011 season.

Did they ever use it?

The NBA examples are a result of the league's high price tag for switching logos. Recolors of the current logo are presumably not subject to this fee, so teams have just recolored their old primary logo and introduced new alternate logos that are used much more often than the designated primary.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

The Yankees' primary is used all the time.

Not only is it on a ton of merchandise, but it's all around the stadium:

Yankees-flag-Yankee-Stadium.jpg3819769014_c01f49ac19.jpg10415954.jpg

It was even on their most recent championship rings.

yankees-2009-world-series-ring-031.jpg

And this is from the post-Series parade.

yankees-parade-video-11-06-09jpg-3dd9267

There's this mistaken perception that the Yanks don't use their primary logo. They don't wear it on their uniforms, but they use it a lot.

That was never an official logo - at least, according to the NFL.

I believe it was seen around the stadium, but was never part of the official graphics package.

Still marked as present on the logo page

Yes it is...and that's a mistake.

3819769014_c01f49ac19.jpg

Holy crap -- look at how many calories contained in the sliders and the fries -- especially the cheese fries! No wonder why ballparks are installing wider seats!
I thought that everyone would start in with the prices, but yep. There's a very good reason why the city started requiring calorie counts.

3819769014_c01f49ac19.jpg

Holy crap -- look at how many calories contained in the sliders and the fries -- especially the cheese fries! No wonder why ballparks are installing wider seats!
I thought that everyone would start in with the prices, but yep. There's a very good reason why the city started requiring calorie counts.

Prices were the first thing I noticed. $5.00 for a water, and $6.00 for a mild beer flavored water...

When the Warriors lost their mascot to the team that used to be from Seattle, this primary logo was rarely used. In fact, I don't even remember seeing any of it at team stores during that period before their rebrand in 2010.

If you're like me and had absolutely no idea what the heck this was talking about, here's some literature on the matter:

http://peninsulapress.com/2011/01/03/thunder-enlightening-whatever-happened-to-the-golden-state-warriors-mascot/

And an excerpt: "The following morning, I flipped open my laptop, determined to find some answers. I quickly learned that the NBA’s Oklahoma City franchise – formerly the Supersonics, who were relocated from Seattle in 2008 – had selected the name Thunder. This forced the Warriors to remove the moniker from their mascot. I gritted my teeth in frustration" ... [To be continued...]

.... Wow. Powerful stuff.

90758391980.gif

Archived