Quirks you miss about ballparks/stadiums

johnnysama

This is a thread about some of the minor things, those odd quirks that you don't see at stadiums or are extremely rare.

----

Prior to the 1970s, Canadian football fields listed yard markers every FIVE yards. It may look convoluted, but that is a strange quirk.

The letter 'G' appearing next to the end zone on NFL fields. As far as I know, the Pittsburgh Steelers were the last to drop this upon their move to Heinz Field in 2001.

Ballparks listing outfield distances in metric units. This is only seen @ Rogers Centre today, and for good reason there.

UBwef0L.png

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a thread about some of the minor things, those odd quirks that you don't see at stadiums or are extremely rare.

----

Prior to the 1970s, Canadian football fields listed yard markers every FIVE yards. It may look convoluted, but that is a strange quirk.

The letter 'G' appearing next to the end zone on NFL fields. As far as I know, the Pittsburgh Steelers were the last to drop this upon their move to Heinz Field in 2001.

Ballparks listing outfield distances in metric units. This is only seen @ Rogers Centre today.

If the REDBLACKS are to be the model, i will miss the centre C line in th CFL, being replaced by the 55

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

"No pepper games" signs.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

----

Ballparks listing outfield distances in metric units. This is only seen @ Rogers Centre today.

Why the h_ll would any team other than Toronto use metric distance on their walls? It'd make no sense at all (looking at you, Marlins.)

PHI ALPHA! SIGMA ALPHA EPSILON. CAROLINA GAMECOCKS. ST. LOUIS CARDINALS. ST. LOUIS BLUES. ORLANDO CITY SC. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS.

sc_gamecocks_sig1.png

----

Why the h_ll would any team other than Toronto use metric distance on their walls? It'd make no sense at all (looking at you, Marlins.)

The Mariners used to have distances in fathoms out on their outfield walls...

----

The Mariners used to have distances in fathoms out on their outfield walls...

That's pretty clever, they should bring that back.

Not sure if it really counts towards this, but the league logos on the outfield walls at major league stadiums. I know it's next to impossible to do in this age of stadium advertising, but that was a staple of watching baseball in my childhood.

That's a good one. Sorted as the standings. A lot of teams still do it with flags but you have to look for 'em.

I don't know that I miss this one, but a great quirk in football was both teams' bench areas on the same side. I think that ended when the Packers quit playing at County Stadium, but I think some other teams in multi-purpose stadiums used them.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

----

If the REDBLACKS are to be the model, i will miss the centre C line in th CFL, being replaced by the 55

Agreed. The 'C' instead of '55' became standard in the late 1970s. The 'C' looks better, IMO.

UBwef0L.png

I think the only thing I miss about 70s cookie cutters is the way that the retractable sections had those metal floors that would bounce when the crowd really started getting into it. This was at least true about Three Rivers, I assume all of them had this quirk.

I think the only thing I miss about 70s cookie cutters is the way that the retractable sections had those metal floors that would bounce when the crowd really started getting into it. This was at least true about Three Rivers, I assume all of them had this quirk.

i think RFK Stadium still has that.

so long and thanks for all the fish.

----

The Red Sox used to use metric at Fenway from 1976-2002.

Archived