Quirks you miss about ballparks/stadiums

johnnysama

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andre the Giant was the 8th wonder of the world. Chyna is the 9th. The best the astrodome can do is be named posthumously as the 11th. My wang is the 10th.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I miss symmetrical fields and stadiums. From about 1992-2012 every new park in the majors and minors alike rammed so many hokey and contrived "old timey" quirks down everyone's throats to the point where it made baseball seem more like a museum piece than a game to be taken seriously. Asymmetrical for asymmetrical's sake, basically.

• 4 weeks later...

Like a poster said earlier in the thread, I kinda too miss the mutli-colored seating levels...it somewhat gave those stadiums some personality. If there's one thing about the retro parks I don't care for much is the bland seat colors encircling around the ballpark.

Another thing I guess miss, and it's especially goes for the old arenas I seen in these classic games on TV, was the loudness of the arenas. Boston Garden, the L.A. Forum, Portland Memorial Coliseum, the MECCA, Chicago Stadium, or even the L.A. Sports Arena (in those rare times the Clips or USC filled the place) all had their distinct feels, but they made crowds of at least 10,000 or more seemed 20,000 or 30,000--loud, intense, energized. Except in a current NBA/NHL arenas, you don't have that feel anymore, and we all know why.

I miss bullpen cars, especially when they had a giant cap on them for the home team.

I miss the look and feel of ballparks I grew up watching on TV or attending.

I certainly don't miss those. Half the teams in the MLB don't have their pitchers hit, and unless a ball comes within 2-3 feet of them, or running to cover first base they never play defense either. They could at the very least jog their fat butts from the bullpen to the mound. Besides, guys like C.C. Sabathia could use the exercise.

I will say that I do miss the "No Pepper Games" signs. I remember having to ask my dad what that meant one time at Busch II. For some reason I thought it had something to do with taunting or something. Of course I can see why they aren't needed anymore.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived