So when does an outdated jersey become "cool" or "lame"

hormone

I was thinking about this because 1) I'm anal about jerseys and 2) I have no luck with jerseys.

For example, I'm a Buccaneers fan (stop laughing). Over the years I acquired an Alvin Harper #82 replica (he changed his number next season), Dunn replica (left via free agency next season), Alstott replica (retired two seasons later), Brooks fashion replica, Talib (all three authentic and got hurt and traded in the next two seasons), Sapp replica throwback, and last year bought Vincent Jackson throwback authentic (not allowed by NFL to wear), Doug Martin authentic (changed template), and Revis authentic (changed template and left team). I "retire" a jersey when the player gets traded or the team gets a new design (yes, I'm thinking about buying their new crap).

So, for instance, if I'd wear Sapp, I feel it's "cool" because he's retired, a super bowl winner, and a hall of famer, but if I wear Revis, it's lame because he spent one year there and was gone and the team changed uniforms (I don't want to turn this into how TB went from one of the best to one of the worst).

So, what's the unwritten rule of when to continue to wear or to "retire" a jersey. I live in Pittsburgh, so I feel your Bradshaw jersey is cool, but your Barry Foster jersey is lame.

Thoughts/Opinions? I remember the website straightcashhomie so that's where I had this thought today. I'm not taking this to the level of making fun of anyone that can only afford a jersey every so many years as replicas are a $100 nowadays.

KISSwall09.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a pats welker jersey, celtics garnet jersey, Red Sox papelbon jersey, and bruins segin jersey and out of those the welker one is the only one i dont wear because of the way he left, but all did great things for us and maybe welker will change my feeling about him in some way but until then I'm not wearing it but keeping it. So pretty much if they won you championships, and was a legitimately great player it is always ok to wear their jersey even after they leave unless they leave on bad terms.

@coast I didn't mean it in a bad way, it's just the way I feel. Basically, when a style changes or a player changes, there is that awkward stage and then a time when it can become cool again...just like fashion. I was just gathering people's opinions and thoughts on the matter.

KISSwall09.jpg

If he's an All Star for your team, it doesn't seem to matter if he wore that jersey. So going with Sapp would work. Personally, I always get my name and number because it's too easy for a jersey to be out of date when a certain player is on it.

km3S7lo.jpg

Ā 

Zqy6osx.png

Ā 

I love obscure player jerseys. But it usually takes about 10 years for them to become "cool" again. My Bucks purple Vin Baker jersey goes over good whenever I bust it out the last couple years. But the years right after he left the team I didn't wear it. It's more of a retro nostalgia thing.

I think obscure player jerseys will always be cool, or maybe I just say that to justify my Rams #50 Pisa Tinoisamoa jersey.

I'd love to get my hands on a Lawrence Phillips jersey...

Lawrence Phillips jersey would be cool if he wasn't convicted of 80 billion crimes. Not sure what pride there is in wearing a jersey of a dude who ran his car into teenagers and also choked out his girlfriend.

Rare player jerseys will always be cooler than complete d-bag jerseys.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Ā 

As long as the player did good things while there AND, most importantly, left on good terms.

I just bought a Steelers Alan Faneca and Willie Parker for cheap because everybody still loves them.

And if they're an obscure player that the average person won't know but the superfans get a real kick out of, then it's extra awesome

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

First off, this is a legitimate question. No one is going to jail but understand while you have the right to wear whatever jersey you want, others also have the right to criticize you for the jersey you choose to wear.

Here's my take: if the player made a significant impact on your team, was well-liked by fans and is currently not playing anywhere else in the league, then the jersey is cool. However, if the player is playing elsewhere or left the team on bad terms, then the jersey is lame. It's also lame if the player you're wearing didn't play well or pan out while he was on the team.

In the examples listed in the OP, the Harper, Dunn, Alstott, Brooks and Sapp jerseys are all cool because those were productive and popular players for the Bucs. You couldn't have worn Dunn while he was with the Falcons or Sapp when he was with the Raiders though. Vincent Jackson is OK because he's a current member of the team, as is Doug Martin. Revis was essentially a mercenary for the Bucs, didn't fit well with the new coaching regime and is now gone, so I wouldn't wear that one.

Wearing an obscure player's jersey could backfire, or at the very best garner no reaction. If people don't recognize the player you're wearing, they could assume you're wearing a customized "Your Name Here" jersey. Opinions on those vary. Either that or you're going to have to explain to everyone who comes up to you who the player is. If you want to avoid being bothered by people's questions then I'd stray away from obscure players. Also keep in mind the player might be obscure for a reason.

In all, I'd just stick to current players. That's the best way to support the current team. Also, if you just wear a current player's jersey at a game you and other fans can get to the business of enjoying the game, paying attention to the action and cheering instead of having people interrupting you with complaints, compliments, questions, etc. on your jersey. Also, wear only the team's current colors to the game to show your support (if your throwback is the same color as the current unis that's OK). Away from the game, any legendary player or current player is OK to wear.

First off, this is a legitimate question. No one is going to jail but understand while you have the right to wear whatever jersey you want, others also have the right to criticize you for the jersey you choose to wear.

Here's my take: if the player made a significant impact on your team, was well-liked by fans and is currently not playing anywhere else in the league, then the jersey is cool. However, if the player is playing elsewhere or left the team on bad terms, then the jersey is lame. It's also lame if the player you're wearing didn't play well or pan out while he was on the team.

In the examples listed in the OP, the Harper, Dunn, Alstott, Brooks and Sapp jerseys are all cool because those were productive and popular players for the Bucs. You couldn't have worn Dunn while he was with the Falcons or Sapp when he was with the Raiders though. Vincent Jackson is OK because he's a current member of the team, as is Doug Martin. Revis was essentially a mercenary for the Bucs, didn't fit well with the new coaching regime and is now gone, so I wouldn't wear that one.

Wearing an obscure player's jersey could backfire, or at the very best garner no reaction. If people don't recognize the player you're wearing, they could assume you're wearing a customized "Your Name Here" jersey. Opinions on those vary. Either that or you're going to have to explain to everyone who comes up to you who the player is. If you want to avoid being bothered by people's questions then I'd stray away from obscure players. Also keep in mind the player might be obscure for a reason.

In all, I'd just stick to current players. That's the best way to support the current team. Also, if you just wear a current player's jersey at a game you and other fans can get to the business of enjoying the game, paying attention to the action and cheering instead of having people interrupting you with complaints, compliments, questions, etc. on your jersey. Also, wear only the team's current colors to the game to show your support (if your throwback is the same color as the current unis that's OK). Away from the game, any legendary player or current player is OK to wear.

Agree with this with the exception of Alvin Harper. He was one of the worst free agent signings in NFL history, so I would either steer clear of that jersey, or find a way to replace the nameplate(if it has one) with another player. There's nothing wrong at all for a Steelers fan to wear a # 29 Barry Foster jersey. Foster enjoyed one of the great rushing seasons in club history in 1992, when the Steelers won the AFC Central in Bill Cowher's first season as head coach. The high number of carries that season and injuries reduced Foster's effectiveness later, and the Steelers let him go in the expansion draft.

It's kinda case by case.

First off, if it's game-used, I think it's cool regardless...even if it's the third base coach. Whenever I see a sharp-looking really obscure Twins jersey (two great ones I've seen are Serafini and Ullger) I suspect it's game-worn (or at least team-issued) and it gets a mental "thumbs up" from me.

Otherwise, it's not really "lame" but some (long time players that most of us would know) may be better than others (star player primarily recognized for days with a different team), but I think they are all part of the team's history. You don't need to go out and buy a new one because a player left or the team changed its uniform.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

Ā 

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

i disagree

i have a manchester united replica shirt from 1998-2000

i dont wear it anymore because i dont support them, (i followed them at the time though, because all my family supported them, so i did too in the same way one might follow Barcelona but live in germany)

but to me for to wear it again wouldnt be a problem (if i didnt have it hung on my wall as a collector piece) because it has Ryan Giggs name on the back (the mans a united legend) and it has the gold premier league logos worn in the 99-2000 season on the sleeves denoting the team are the current reigning champs, but that season previous they had won the champions league and F.A cup too ...so it was a season to remember for them, and im glad they kept the shirt two years in a row otherwise i wouldnt have been able to use the gold patches, but then again it wouldnt have mattered

but i also have sheffield wednesday kits that dont particularly bring back fond memorys

sheff-wed-h-93-95.gifsheff-wed-a-93-94.gifsheff-wed-a-94-95.gif

sheff-wed-h-95-97.gifsheff-wed-a-96-98.gif

sheff-wed-h-03-05.gifsheff-wed-a-03-04.gif

i mean we were hammered 5-1 at home by nottingham forest in that 1995-97 home shirt for christs sake .....but i wear em (and many other fans still do) because the designs are interesting, ...i mean in my opinion the only critisim i get when wearing them is for having an owl on the chest, and if thats all people have to critique then i dont give a :censored:

but i also have some i do have good memorys of

our 1991 league cup winning shirt for example

sheff-wed-home-89-91.gif

the one we wore in the inaugural premier league season

sheff-wed-home-91-93.gif

our 70s classic sets

sheff-wed-h-77-83.gif

or christ even the one we wore 2 seasons ago when we got promoted

its like that in football, i mean arsenals adidas "bruised" banana shirt from 1991 is thrown up in bad kit depates but once upon a time you couldnt look anywhere in london without seeing one, and i often still see them being worn today, its kind of a classic no matter what your view of its design by todays standards

football tends to be like that

Archived