Should a team's identity be "intimidating"?

Sanic

Rubbish. No player worth a damn cares about nicknames or uniforms. You also have zero data to support such a claim that a nickname or uniform influences on field success.

The Denver Broncos going to the ghost-horse and win their first Super Bowl.

The Tampa Buccaneers ditch Bucco Bruce and win the Super Bowl.

The Detroit Pistons win championships in red/white/blue, change to teal and lose a lot, go back to red/white/blue and win another championship.

Three off the top of my head.

Coincidence? I think so.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rubbish. No player worth a damn cares about nicknames or uniforms. You also have zero data to support such a claim that a nickname or uniform influences on field success.

The Denver Broncos going to the ghost-horse and win their first Super Bowl.

The Tampa Buccaneers ditch Bucco Bruce and win the Super Bowl.

The Detroit Pistons win championships in red/white/blue, change to teal and lose a lot, go back to red/white/blue and win another championship.

Three off the top of my head.

Coincidence? I think so.

Hey, you were the one who said there was zero data... :P

Correlation is not the same thing as causation, there was a multitude of other factors that went into making those teams successful than just the uniforms.

Of course it's not the sole reason, that would be stupid. But there is something to be said about expectation and "self-fulfilling prophecy" to an extent.

Correlation is not the same thing as causation, there was a multitude of other factors that went into making those teams successful than just the uniforms.

Of course it's not the sole reason, that would be stupid. But there is something to be said about expectation and "self-fulfilling prophecy" to an extent.

Ok you had me fooled for a second but now I know you're just trolling the thread...

I used to think that a change in uniforms had played a part in the turnarounds of certain teams, but people on this site convinced me otherwise a year or two ago. I don't remember the discussion, but the point was made that there are lots of other uniform changes that don't result in championships, but we forget about those when making the counterpoint.

That being said, let me add...

2008 Tampa Bay Rays

1981 Cincinnati Bengals

1987 Minnesota Twins

2002 Anaheim Angels

1993 Philadelphia Philies

an identity for any company or business should evoke a sense of pride and have a "personality" that is appropriate. for a sport like American football played by men who are the size of Volkswagens, the "fierce and intimidating" approach can be a good starting point. especially with names like Buccaneers, Raiders, and Jaguars. the point is not to scare the opponent but to communicate a message about your own team and show everyone what you value and what you're all about.

its a bit different for MLB which is so connected to its traditions which includes an early to mid 20th century design language and focuses more on family fun and American traditions rather than epic battles between modern gladiators.

for the record, design absolutely can affect the way we feel and think. colors affects our mood and blood pressure, and there might actually be something to "look good, feel good, play good".

A team name should have regional significance.

While I agree that a team name doesn't have to be intimidating I don't think it *has* to have regional significance. There's nothing regional about the names "Chicago Bears" and "Pittsburgh Pirates" but they work.

may be the most overlooked name trivia in sports. the Bears and Bulls both corolate to the Chicago stock market

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

While I agree that a team name doesn't have to be intimidating I don't think it *has* to have regional significance. There's nothing regional about the names "Chicago Bears" and "Pittsburgh Pirates" but they work.

may be the most overlooked name trivia in sports. the Bears and Bulls both corolate to the Chicago stock market

Pretty sure that's just a coincidence. The Bears were named to play off of the Cubs. To tie into this thread, the Bulls were named because it was a strong, intimidating name and tied in with the stockyards.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Pretty sure that's just a coincidence. The Bears were named to play off of the Cubs. To tie into this thread, the Bulls were named because it was a strong, intimidating name and tied in with the stockyards.

They did it back then? Wow

I used to think that a change in uniforms had played a part in the turnarounds of certain teams, but people on this site convinced me otherwise a year or two ago. I don't remember the discussion, but the point was made that there are lots of other uniform changes that don't result in championships, but we forget about those when making the counterpoint.

2008 Tampa Bay Rays

1981 Cincinnati Bengals

1987 Minnesota Twins

2002 Anaheim Angels

The Phillies changed in 1992.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'd say not at all, a lot of the best franchises in sports don't have particularly intimidating names- Packers, Yankees, Cardinals, Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, Canadians, Red Wings, Maple Leafs. I personally am more of a fan of teams with names related to location, work, or something else non-generic. Also, a lot of newer teams try using intimidating nicknames to seem legitimate (possibly)- Panthers, Jaguars, Grizzlies, Predators, Hurricanes, etc.

wbcfight2.gif

Canadians can be intimidating

2008 Tampa Bay Rays

1981 Cincinnati Bengals

1987 Minnesota Twins

2002 Anaheim Angels

The Phillies changed in 1992.

Oops, I stand corrected. I've spent the last twenty years thinking they went to the World Series the first year in these uniforms. I've never been a Phillies fan, per se, and am still holding a small grudge about what they did to the Reds in the 2010 NLDS. But I always loved that '93 Phillies team. It actually upset me when the Blue Jays beat them.

The purpose of mascots and nicknames is to give a face and identity to the team. It gives the fans something to identify with as they cheer on their team. Between the lines, a team's nickname or colors does nothing for their success on the field. Slayer is a great name for a thrash metal band but if they played bubblegum pop, it wouldn't matter. Their fast aggressive music is what makes them tough, the name Slayer just helps convey their identity but it doesn't actually add to the quality of their music.

Archived