Gate City FC logo concept

dgnmrwrw

Reading the local Greensboro, NC sports page recently, I came across a brief summary of a Gate City FC match, about a team I didn't even know existed. A quick search revealed a painfully bad logo, so I threw this concept together as a replacement.

I tried to keep the colors similar to what the club currently uses, going with lime green, dark green, and light blue. Greensboro is known as the "Gate City" because of its status as a railroad and highway traffic hub, so I tried to incorporate both along with a bit of the city skyline. Thoughts?

oPxf3JV.png

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

It's rendered quite well, but is a little busy. One of those situations where maybe picking one idea and running with it would be best, rather than trying to work in as much meaning as possible.

For me, being proud of the fact that your city has a lot of clogged highways seems silly, so I would drop the road. The soccer ball could also be dropped. Then you just have the skyline above, the railroad below. Would be much cleaner IMO.

Greensboro ain't that great. Confusing roads and an Amtrak station. Drive a few minutes over to Winston-Salem. Visit a real city.;)

Banter aside, this is pretty good. Not the biggest fan of the cloud style, but I could get past that. If you really want to go for the hub style, have the train track and road meet at the soccer ball. Love the colors, BTW.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

I love the wordmark, and everything north... but then it really falls flat below that. The tracks, road, and buckyball seem forced together.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Wonderful job. A bit busy, but it works well.
The ball at the bottom might need drawn at a different angle, but I really like it being there under the railroads. Keep it, just redo it a little.

And the clouds are great. Tons of movement in this logo/crest, which is a winner.

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I agree the ball is problematic. I really wanted something at the bottom to balance the blue on the top, but it's clearly not working as is. I'll try a few different reworks (including removing it altogether) to see if I can find a better solution.

I'll also try to simplify things a bit in general.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Archived