Failed expansion teams you wanted to see.

Davidellias

Baseball:

Orlando Sunrays

OrlandoSunRays.jpeg

This wasn't an MLB expansion possibility, but a AA Southern League team from the early 90s. The franchise currently resides in Montgomery, AL as the Biscuits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando_Rays

Edit: My bad, read the link.

Thanks for the oops. The MLB expansion candidate was backed by the original Orlando Magic owners, with Pat Williams as the front man.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In 1974, the NFL announced the formation of the Intercontinental Football League. There were to be 6 teams in the inaugural season of 1975, followed by a 4 team expansion bringing the league to 10 in 1976. It never materialized, but it was the NFL's first thought about going international. The original 6 were to be the Barcelona Almogovares, Berlin Bears, Istanbul Conquerors, Munich Lions, Rome Gladiators, and Vienna Lipizzaners. The expansion 4 were to be the Copenhagen Vikings, Milan Centurions, Paris Lafayettes, and Rotterdam Flying Dutchmen.

As a fan of the original WLAF, I would have liked to see this pulled off, though I really wasn't paying too much attention to football (or any other sports) at the time...

Back in the 90's I read in the news that the NHL might expand to New Orleans. I wish that happened so much.... I can't explain how much I want that to happen.

Hey, I'm glad you're a hockey fan, but that's a hysterically awful idea.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Back in the 90's I read in the news that the NHL might expand to New Orleans. I wish that happened so much.... I can't explain how much I want that to happen.

Hey, I'm glad you're a hockey fan, but that's a hysterically awful idea.

This is the Bettman-era NHL though. For all we know the Flames or Islanders may move down to Nola if an expansion team doesn't arrive there first

Look at the old IceGators, the Brass, and the Kingfish's attendance. Pretty solid except for BR's last few years.

EDIT: I don't mean it'd be a good idea but it COULD possibly work.

NewOrleansBowl_zpsb1707dea.png

Yeah, lots of ECHL/SPHL/god-knows-what-L teams have "pretty solid attendance" because tickets are cheap and you get to watch a bunch of dudes whale on each other. A climatically and economically volatile southern city wouldn't be my first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth, tenth, or eleventh choice. But hey, never let it be said that you're worse than Brownsville!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah, the IceGators numbers were impressive, but would have been fatal at the NHL level. And the Brass could only pull in 6000 their best year.

It's a moot point, though. New Orleans is too broke to afford a team regardless of the inherent stupidity of the local city fathers.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yeah, lots of ECHL/SPHL/god-knows-what-L teams have "pretty solid attendance" because tickets are cheap and you get to watch a bunch of dudes whale on each other. A climatically and economically volatile southern city wouldn't be my first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth, tenth, or eleventh choice. But hey, never let it be said that you're worse than Brownsville!

Hey man I was just defending my city and state.

11,000 screaming fans back in the day in Lafayette. 6,000 in NOLA and BR.

Yeah, the IceGators numbers were impressive, but would have been fatal at the NHL level. And the Brass could only pull in 6000 their best year.

It's a moot point, though. New Orleans is too broke to afford a team regardless of the inherent stupidity of the local city fathers.

We're on the rise, but still I'm a homer and just defending my city.

NewOrleansBowl_zpsb1707dea.png

I was there last summer. I assume you mean "rise" in the cliche "the South will rise again" sense.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Also I have family in OKC and they were I'm the final five for an NHL team when ATL, NSH, MIN, and CBJ got teams. I think OKC would've done better than Atlanta and possibly better than Columbus or Naahville.

No way, especially if the Thunder would end up playing there anyways. OKC is at max a 1-team city, especially during the same time

Maybe if the hockey team had been there for 10 years and was doing well, it would have scared off another winter-spring team from playing there. If there was a fairly successful hockey team there in 2005, I wonder if the Hornets Pelicans? still would have played there post-Katrina.

In 1974, the NFL announced the formation of the Intercontinental Football League. There were to be 6 teams in the inaugural season of 1975, followed by a 4 team expansion bringing the league to 10 in 1976. It never materialized, but it was the NFL's first thought about going international. The original 6 were to be the Barcelona Almogovares, Berlin Bears, Istanbul Conquerors, Munich Lions, Rome Gladiators, and Vienna Lipizzaners. The expansion 4 were to be the Copenhagen Vikings, Milan Centurions, Paris Lafayettes, and Rotterdam Flying Dutchmen.

I've never, ever heard of this. Source?

My favorite expansion that never happened I suppose would be the entire Continental League, which Branch Rickey & Co. would have unleashed on professional baseball in the early 1960's had the American and National Leagues not eliminated the potential competition by expanding to New York, Houston, Los Angeles and (de facto) Minnesota.

nav-logo.png

I've never, ever heard of this. Source?

http://www.footballgeography.com/1974-nfl-announces-plans-for-a-six-team-european-league/.

Download the PDF at the bottom of the page. It is a 7 page read and is pretty detailed.

Milwaukee would have gotten a NHL team in the 80s if Dollar Bill/the Blackhawks hadn't vetoed it. I would have liked to see that.

This. Although I root for the Hawks in the playoffs when pitted against a non-Original Six team, I'm still reluctant to consider them my team for this reason.

Milwaukee was also a candidate for an AFL expansion team in the 1960s, but the Packers objected and it became a sticking point for the merger. It sure would've been interesting to see how a Milwaukee AFC team would've fared during the Packers' lean years of the 1970s and 1980s.

Not so much an expansion, but before they came up with indemnity payments to NFL teams in the same markets, the Oakland Raiders were rumored to head to Portland, and the New York Jets to Birmingham, before it was decided to have them pay the 49ers and Giants some extra cash for infringing on their markets. I know in the mid to late 60s, there was a strong push in Portland to build the Delta Dome for baseball and football, but was eventually voted down. Wonder if Seattle would have gotten the Pilots, Mariners, or Seahawks had Portland already had MLB and NFL?

Archived