Favorite Flag?

jaker52

Post your favorite flags here and explain the design if possible.

Mine is the St. Louis city flag

stlflag_zps2a8616bf.jpeg

It shows the Mississippi and Missouri rivers meeting with the city being the yellow circle. The saint symbol and the colors are because of French colonization. I would like to see what comes up. It can be from any city, state, or country.

jaker52sig.png

signatureofteams.jpg

MUNCHEN LOWEN (WAFA) GULF SHORES OSPREYS (IBL)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maryland

us-md.gif

New Mexico

nunst052.gif

South Carolina

SouthCarolina_4.gif

MD

The black and gold design on the flag is the coat of arms of the Calvert family. It was granted to George Calvert as a reward for his storming a fortification during a battle (the vertical bars approximate the bars of the palisade).[citation needed] The red and white design is the coat of arms of the Crossland family, the family of Calvert's mother, and features a cross bottony. Since George Calvert's mother was an heiress, he was entitled to use both coats of arms in his banner. It is one of only four US state flags that does not contain the color blue.

NM

The Daughters of the American Revolution pushed New Mexico to design a contemporary and unique flag in 1920. A contest to design the new state flag was won by Dr. Harry Mera of Santa Fe, New Mexico. Mera was an archaeologist who was familiar with the Zia Sun Symbol found at Zia Pueblo on a 19th-century pot. The symbol has sacred meaning to the Zia. Four is a sacred number which symbolizes the Circle of Life: the four directions, the four times of day, the four stages of life, and the four seasons. The circle binds the four elements of four together. His winning design is the flag that the state uses today.[1] The salutation, “I salute the flag of the State of New Mexico and the Zia symbol of perfect friendship among united cultures," was many years ago commonly recited in New Mexico public schools after the United States pledge of allegiance.

SC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_South_Carolina

Source: Wikepedia

jaker52sig.png

signatureofteams.jpg

MUNCHEN LOWEN (WAFA) GULF SHORES OSPREYS (IBL)

buy_libya_flag-01-01.gif

????? What in the world is THAT supposed to be?

Lybia under Ghadaffi I suppose.

My favourites so far:

Alsace (french region)

8d69591a4a.png

Veneto (italian region, the stripes float independently from the main flag)

it-venb.jpg

Venice%20board.jpg?1293338925

Kingdom of Laos

360px-Flag_of_the_Kingdom_of_Laos.svg.pn

Persia (one version of the persian flag)

p18pggel52vh5p4ht8s11o6eqe3.png

Where do I come from ?

1399006447-sig1.png

Who do I support ?

1399006379-sig2.png

The plain green flag posted earlier was the flag of Libya until the relatively recent revolution during the Arab Spring took place.

Here is my favorite flag:

doping_flag.jpg

East Germany (1949-1990)

The hammer represents the working class, the compass represents the intelligentsia, and the rye around the two represents farmers. Black, red, and gold are in horizontal stripes just like the flag of West Germany (same flag as the current reunified Germany) from the flag of the Weimar Republic.

Untitled_zps5e4a382a.png

Playing Europa Universalis kindled my passing interest in historical flags and heraldry.

Veneto (italian region, the stripes float independently from the main flag)

[redacted]

Venice had a sweet flag due to that winged lion.

Favourite Canadian flags:

240px-Flag_of_New_Brunswick.svg.png

I liked that it's quite colourful. A little busy, but it's based on the New Brunswick provincial coat-of-arms.

225px-Flag_of_Quebec_City.svg.png

Quebec City's flag evokes both Champlain's ship and its famous city walls.

P.S. Toronto has a nice flag also.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

Post your favorite flags here and explain the design if possible.

Mine is the St. Louis city flag

stlflag_zps2a8616bf.jpeg

It shows the Mississippi and Missouri rivers meeting with the city being the yellow circle. The saint symbol and the colors are because of French colonization. I would like to see what comes up. It can be from any city, state, or country.

I came to this thread with the intentions of posting this. A homer pick? Perhaps, but it is an awesome flag. I love the symbolism, the symmetry, and the color balance.

Simple and very aesthetically pleasing... Arizona.1000px-Flag_of_Arizona.png

D'oh... how did I forget this one. I loved those old Cardinals jerseys with the flag on them.

ArizonaCardinals1988.jpg

The Arizona Wranglers, which took their colors from the state flag, looked good too.

greg_landry_1984_07_15.jpg

Archived