Favorite sports documentary?

BengalsJunkie

- Battered Bastards of Baseball (I was intrigued when this popped up on Netflix and I've watched it twice. DID YOU KNOW: the name of this doc comes from a line in Jim Bouton's "Ball Four"?. Had no idea about Kurt Russell's baseball past.)

A bunch of infrared's babbling...

I bought a used paperback copy off of Amazon for $1 about a year ago and I opened it to find that it has Bouton's signature inside the front cover. I'm not a big autograph guy, but I thought that was a pretty good steal by me.

I actually read about half of it and got distracted by other things so when I was moving out to Seattle I ended up downloading the audio book and listened to it the whole drive from Cincinnati to Seattle. It really helped pass the time.

Anyway, did you like the book? It's pretty tame by today's standards but I think that's part of it's charm. It's hard to believe it caused all the trouble it did.

I did like the book, but it kind of started to drag on a bit as the season went on. He chronicles almost every single day and as we know a baseball season is a long march, but overall I enjoyed it. I'd put it behind Ken Dryden's The Game as far as athlete written books go, but it was good.

It's an interesting slice of history for that one strange season of the Seattle Pilots and it's cool that he happened to be with them to give an oral history of that team's brief appearance in the show. Also, his stories about "beaver shooting" were funny, but mostly because he called it "beaver shooting".

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's an interesting slice of history for that one strange season of the Seattle Pilots and it's cool that he happened to be with them to give an oral history of that team's brief appearance in the show. Also, his stories about "beaver shooting" were funny, but mostly because he called it "beaver shooting".

There is a documentary about the Pilots lone season in Seattle called "Brief Flight into History." The production value isn't the greatest (it's not bad by any means but it's not top quality) but it's well worth the two bucks to rent it on Amazon.

BB52Big.jpg

My favorites are in the 30 for 30 series, but it's basically three that I like the most and would be willing to sit and watch over anything else: The Two Escobars. Pony Excess and Roll Tide/War Eagle

• 1 month later...

(soz to gravedig, don't wanna start another spam thread)

New stuff coming starting Oct. 7:

• Playing For The Mob - Henry Hill and the Boston College point-shaving scandal
  • The Day The Series Stopped - 1989 WS earthquake
  • When The Garden Was Eden - Knicks' glory years in the 70's
  • Brian and The Boz - A look at Brian Bosworth, and what caused him to be a bust
  • Brothers in Exile - The stories of Livan and Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez
  • Rand University - Randy Moss story
  • The U pt 2 - The 'Canes in the 90's, going through NCAA infractions and sanctions

My totally, completely unbiased favorite sports documentary of all time is definitely not the one with me on the cover. :D

winthroprising.jpg

The documentary itself is actually not very good. But hey, I'm on IMDB!

For serious, though:

1. Hoop Dreams

2. The Other Dream Team

3. The Dream Team

4. Small Potatoes; Once Brothers; Free Spirits; The Marinovich Project

5. Murderball

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYXPun3m9oI&list=UUiWLfSweyRNmLpgEHekhoAg

My totally, completely unbiased favorite sports documentary of all time is definitely not the one with me on the cover. :D

MV5BMTI4MTQ1NTM3OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjc1

The documentary itself is actually not very good. But hey, I'm on IMDB!

For serious, though:

1. Hoop Dreams

2. The Other Dream Team

3. The Dream Team

4. Small Potatoes; Once Brothers; Free Spirits

5. Murderball

Don't see the picture.

Archived