Stolen Work

NOppenheimer

So i've been quiet about this for a few years because I didn't want to make enemies in the industry I was trying to break into, but check this out.

I applied to the United Soccer League in 2016. Did some test graphics for them (which they wanted built in indesign, big red flag). Here's one matchup graphic i made with the assets they gave me. In my in person, the designer Enrique Alvarado said he liked what I made but would maybe move the USL logo to the bottom corner. Totally reasonable, i was scared to break from brand guidelines and put it on a busy background.

IMG-2302.jpg

So imagine my surprise when this is their playoff graphics

IMG-3368.png

I didn't want to get into a fight but this really hurt me, because 1. I didn't get the job and 2. it looked worse! My friends took it upon themselves to go after him on twitter and I stayed out of it, all he replied with was some laughing emojis. They asked if i was interested in a position in 2017 which i turned down because I was with the Rays, and still had a job opportunity at Under Armour open. But mostly I would've socked him in his face when I saw Enrique. 

Since then, a close friend began working there and apparently he got fired (which is why the position opened up) and the mood seems to be that he was genuinely awful. There's some crossover in twitter followings so people will tag us together if it's about soccer design and I still absolutely hold this grudge.

So if you're reading this Enrique, kiss my ass

• Like 30

3 hours ago, raysox said:

So i've been quiet about this for a few years because I didn't want to make enemies in the industry I was trying to break into, but check this out.

I applied to the United Soccer League in 2016. Did some test graphics for them (which they wanted built in indesign, big red flag). Here's one matchup graphic i made with the assets they gave me. In my in person, the designer Enrique Alvarado said he liked what I made but would maybe move the USL logo to the bottom corner. Totally reasonable, i was scared to break from brand guidelines and put it on a busy background.

IMG-2302.jpg

So imagine my surprise when this is their playoff graphics

IMG-3368.png

I didn't want to get into a fight but this really hurt me, because 1. I didn't get the job and 2. it looked worse! My friends took it upon themselves to go after him on twitter and I stayed out of it, all he replied with was some laughing emojis. They asked if i was interested in a position in 2017 which i turned down because I was with the Rays, and still had a job opportunity at Under Armour open. But mostly I would've socked him in his face when I saw Enrique. 

Since then, a close friend began working there and apparently he got fired (which is why the position opened up) and the mood seems to be that he was genuinely awful. There's some crossover in twitter followings so people will tag us together if it's about soccer design and I still absolutely hold this grudge.

Looked up their Twitter immediately after reading this. Their page doesn't even exist. Looks like Twitter is siding with you in this case or maybe they deactivated their account so we couldn't come and bash them. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

1 hour ago, raysox said:

Nah it exists I looked him up during posting that. I’m not gonna show where cause it’s not worth it, but man I’ve seen his portfolio and it’s not strong

I was talking about the USL Twitter and Insta. Their official page doesn't show up on either platform for me. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

12 hours ago, raysox said:

So what you're saying is that you wouldn't recommend applying for their job opening, I take it? 

• Like 1

spacer.png

13 hours ago, dsaline97 said:

So what you're saying is that you wouldn't recommend applying for their job opening, I take it? 

oh no they're fine now, I've met a couple of them through my friend. Go for it!

also @Griffinmarlins they rebranded and changed their handles

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

watching Netflix's QB1 show and one of the local high schools uses Fraser Davidson's redskins logo just modified a bit (took out the arrowhead)

for their apparel (not for their team equipment). man, it sucks how people just find good designs online and think its fair game to slap it on sweatshirts.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This isn't quite as in-line with paid vs unpaid work like much of the other items listed here, but it's just as frustrating.

Last night I got word that an Auburn-based Twitter account had posted some work of mine. I take a look, and they had (poorly) slapped a different logo on top of my photo. The base image comes from my site and is the first mockup photo to appear on Google under "auburn basketball court." It's actually an old court, from 2009-10, when Auburn played in the old Coliseum (note the Final Season logos).

On top of that, I found a user on an Auburn message board site "blanked out" one of my uniform photos to create a (terrible) template for himself. Even left my logo watermark in the background. I politely asked him not to just color over my photos. I'm very generous with my templates and would be happy to share them with him. He wasn't too respectful with his remarks either. I mentioned I work hard on my product and have built a brand with my site.

DyxfpVPXQAML_7B.jpg

I check now and see that the thread has been deleted.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

• 1 month later...

This is less about a designer getting screwed and more about a league (I'm using that word lightly) being shady as hell.

For the past year a new arena league, the National Gridiron League, has been hyping everyone here in Roanoke up for some football. The league still hasn't started (it was supposed to this month), and if you look at the logos these teams are using, I have a feeling they never will (click the link, the rundown is near the end of the video.)

https://www.wsls.com/news/virginia/roanoke/new-roanoke-arena-football-league-tells-city-leaders-league-is-still-on-track

EVERY SINGLE TEAM LOGO looks stolen. Even the league logo is a direct thievery of the old UFL logo!

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 1

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

I just recently found out about the ECHL's Norfolk Admirals 3rd jersey that they currently wear and it looks very close to a concept that I did for the Hampton Roads admirals for my ECHL series back in 2015. The Norfolk team didn't adapt the old identity until 2017 so mine definitely predates it. The striping is absolutely identical and the only differences are really the white outlines on the numbers and the chest stripe continues to the back. I'm thinking someone from the team saw my concept online and decided to use it.

q0o7ZAs.png

• Like 2

qG3b3mu.pngK0Kq4L6.pnglSDF7kP.png

I just recently found out about the ECHL's Norfolk Admirals 3rd jersey that they currently wear and it looks very close to a concept that I did for the Hampton Roads admirals for my ECHL series back in 2015. The Norfolk team didn't adapt the old identity until 2017 so mine definitely predates it. The striping is absolutely identical and the only differences are really the white outlines on the numbers and the chest stripe continues to the back. I'm thinking someone from the team saw my concept online and decided to use it.

q0o7ZAs.png

You could probably sue if you really wanted to. It does look like your concept got stolen.

• Like 5

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

On 2/7/2019 at 11:27 AM, Clintau24 said:

Last night I got word that an Auburn-based Twitter account had posted some work of mine. I take a look, and they had (poorly) slapped a different logo on top of my photo. The base image comes from my site and is the first mockup photo to appear on Google under "auburn basketball court." It's actually an old court, from 2009-10, when Auburn played in the old Coliseum (note the Final Season logos).

Barstool is notorious for using other people's content.

https://deadspin.com/comedian-says-barstool-sports-stole-her-video-tried-to-1833048577

• Like 3

Who's logo is this on the left? I swear I've seen it before.

BRUINS_BANNER.GIF

From a cursory glance, because this is a bad Jr. B team so website and picture updates aren't the priority, the logo is on the pants shell and appears to have moved from a shoulder patch to on the collar, like where the NHL logo is on NHL jerseys.

• Like 1

IEI5Tg1.png

7 hours ago, monkeypower said:

BRUINS_BANNER.GIF

From a cursory glance, because this is a bad Jr. B team so website and picture updates aren't the priority, the logo is on the pants shell and appears to have moved from a shoulder patch to on the collar, like where the NHL logo is on NHL jerseys.

https://www.behance.net/gallery/918853/Bakken-Bears

• Like 1

9 hours ago, monkeypower said:

BRUINS_BANNER.GIF

This work is @GFB from his NHL redesign over a decade ago.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Having your stuff stolen is just the worst feeling. 

You put in the work and you draw up a lot of options from the research you've done and have narrowed it down to a logo you can be proud of to present to the clients and then they pick it. 

Then some :censored:(s) steal it and claim it as their own work and a lot of the times, they get away with it. I've had it happen a few times and in one of the times, someone posted their logo and alerted me that they ripped off my work (not particularly great work mind you, something I did for a local DJ..etc, but my work nonetheless). 

• Like 1

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions