Sports Video Games

TorinK92

Am I the only one who's kinda ticked off that PS3 and XBOX 360 owners such as myself (I own a PS3, not an XBOX 360) are getting screwed over by game companies focusing mostly on next generation consoles (PS4, XBOX One)? It doesn't really seam like they make many graphical improvements for older consoles. For example, MLB 14 The Show on PS3 looked pretty similar to MLB 13 The Show on PS3, graphically wise. Not everyone can afford to go out and spend $500 on a newer gaming system.

No, it's rewarding the people who actually paid the money for the next-gen console, who are expecting things like better graphics, better gameplay, and an overall better game.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NHL 15 isn't going to have EASHL lol

And this is exactly why I've held back on a XBOX One. I was waiting on all the features of what is and isn't in the new NHL 15, and thanks to this, EA has saved me a few hundred bucks. There's nothing on either of the new systems that jumps out to me as a "must buy" just yet. NHL is my most played game, so I would have traded in everything I had (including because screw backwards compatibility, right?) and upgraded, but eh. I can still get NHL and FIFA (even Madden if I feel like it) on 360 and not lose any enjoyment (or lose my GTA5.)

Based on what I've read around and seen in their gameplay videos, NHL15 on XBO/PS4 is just a pretty/shiny version of NHL14. All the moves, reactions, gameplay look the same just with a new coat of flappy jersey/shiny arena paint. All of EA's marketing for NHL15 points to graphics, the arenas, and the new commentary, but nothing to the on-ice play. They spent this entire production cycle making the game look nice, and didn't have enough time on the backend to work on the actual game, online and offline.

EASHL will still be on the 360/PS3 versions, so I'll just stick with that.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Am I the only one who's kinda ticked off that PS3 and XBOX 360 owners such as myself (I own a PS3, not an XBOX 360) are getting screwed over by game companies focusing mostly on next generation consoles (PS4, XBOX One)? It doesn't really seam like they make many graphical improvements for older consoles. For example, MLB 14 The Show on PS3 looked pretty similar to MLB 13 The Show on PS3, graphically wise. Not everyone can afford to go out and spend $500 on a newer gaming system.

Why would a video game company waste a whole bunch of resources on last-gen games?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

No, it's rewarding the people who actually paid the money for the next-gen console, who are expecting things like better graphics, better gameplay, and an overall better game.

I don't believe this anymore.

What's the incentive for video game companies to actually commit to a better quality game on the newest generation consoles? Of course developers have to put out the better graphics on the newest consoles for the game to actually function, but what motive do developers have to actually put forth games with better quality?

In terms of sports games. this is why competition between rival companies for the same sports video games was the better identifier for putting out a better game quality, rather than simply expecting it on a new-gen console just because. It was better for consumers when EA and 2K fought eachother for the best football/baseball multi-platform video game out there, because companies had to work hard to improve their quality to get your bucks into buying such game. Now because of exclusivity contracts, with EA running the NFL show, all you'll get every August for $65 is roster updates, while with 2K running the MLB market, all you'll get for $65 is a glitchy turd of a game, full of fielding and glitch histarities.

In terms of FPS games, what will enable developers onto making a better-quality "Call of Duty" on the new-gen consoles? The campaigns are basically recycled from past versions and are getting shorter, while the DRM's are making it increasingly impossible to play this game without online access. As proven the last couple of years, people will still come in droves to fork over $65 for the newest CoD game every November because of the name recognition and because of celebrity endorsements. What incentive is it for these developers to make a better quality game on the next-gen systems when all they're doing right now on the current consoles pay dividens?

I don't believe this anymore.

What's the incentive for video game companies to actually commit to a better quality game on the newest generation consoles? Of course developers have to put out the better graphics on the newest consoles for the game to actually function, but what motive do developers have to actually put forth games with better quality?

In terms of sports games. this is why competition between rival companies for the same sports video games was the better identifier for putting out a better game quality, rather than simply expecting it on a new-gen console just because. It was better for consumers when EA and 2K fought eachother for the best football/baseball multi-platform video game out there, because companies had to work hard to improve their quality to get your bucks into buying such game. Now because of exclusivity contracts, with EA running the NFL show, all you'll get every August for $65 is roster updates, while with 2K running the MLB market, all you'll get for $65 is a glitchy turd of a game, full of fielding and glitch histarities.

In terms of FPS games, what will enable developers onto making a better-quality "Call of Duty" on the new-gen consoles? The campaigns are basically recycled from past versions and are getting shorter, while the DRM's are making it increasingly impossible to play this game without online access. As proven the last couple of years, people will still come in droves to fork over $65 for the newest CoD game every November because of the name recognition and because of celebrity endorsements. What incentive is it for these developers to make a better quality game on the next-gen systems when all they're doing right now on the current consoles pay dividens?

What's the incentive for video game companies to make better quality games? $$$$.

Video games are iterative. The incentive to make better games is to ensure people will continue to buy not just the current game, but the follow-on games. There has to be a reason to market it. They want increase in sales. Trust me, word gets out if a video game is :censored:. NBA Live probably did not make a profit last year because the game was low quality on a next-gen console. The incentive is clearly sales.

2K doesn't run the MLB market, they run the NBA market, and although online gaming is glitchy, the offline experience is top notch. Sony runs the MLB market.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

So I got Madden 15 for the Xbox One Tuesday and I have to say....

It's the best Madden I've played in a while. The changes they've made are wonderful. They fixed the problems I had with Madden for the last couple of years. Games have never felt more real and the presentation is simply the best I've ever seen in a sports game.

In my first game, I played with the Cowboys, Week 1 against the 49ers. It was one of the closest and exciting games I've ever had against the computer. It was 14-3 Cowboys at the start of the 4th, then the Niners quickly scored a TD and forced me to settle for a FG. They came back scored a field goal and on my next possession made me go 3 and out. Now the score is 17-13 with 1:30 to go and the drive down the field to the one yard line with :35 left. If they score a TD, they'll win. I know I wouldn't have time to score. Somehow, my defense (who had 11 sacks on Kap for the day) held the Niners back and even forced them back to about the 15.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Does anyone have RBI Baseball 14? I'm torn on purchasing it.

No, but from what I've heard, reviews are pretty bad. IGN gave it 4.5 out of 10 while GameInformer game it 2 (out of 10).

It's the best Madden I've played in a while. The changes they've made are wonderful. They fixed the problems I had with Madden for the last couple of years. Games have never felt more real and the presentation is simply the best I've ever seen in a sports game.

In my first game, I played with the Cowboys, Week 1 against the 49ers. It was one of the closest and exciting games I've ever had against the computer. It was 14-3 Cowboys at the start of the 4th, then the Niners quickly scored a TD and forced me to settle for a FG. They came back scored a field goal and on my next possession made me go 3 and out. Now the score is 17-13 with 1:30 to go and the drive down the field to the one yard line with :35 left. If they score a TD, they'll win. I know I wouldn't have time to score. Somehow, my defense (who had 11 sacks on Kap for the day) held the Niners back and even forced them back to about the 15.

I take it virtual Alex Boone sat out the game then? :)

11 Sacks on Kaepernick is a bit crazy, but the way the starting OLine played in preseason, you never know...

Though it's good to have Boone back.

I take it virtual Alex Boone sat out the game then? :)

11 Sacks on Kaepernick is a bit crazy, but the way the starting OLine played in preseason, you never know...

Though it's good to have Boone back.

Lol, the sacks had more to do with computer Kap always trying to take off after about 1 to 2 seconds in the pocket. Had he stayed in, I'd have lost by about 20

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

I'm hating the fact that there's no NCAA game for the next gen consoles. Then again, had they released, it probably would have been an incomplete pile of crap like all of EAs other first releases.

At least we'd have some barebones of a game that'd probably receive occasional updates for the first two years and constant updated rosters online for a few years. if only NCAA had one more year.

I'm hating the fact that there's no NCAA game for the next gen consoles. Then again, had they released, it probably would have been an incomplete pile of crap like all of EAs other first releases.

In all honesty, a :censored:ty game is still probably better than no game, and I'd still play the crap out of it.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

College Football USA '96 is where it's at!

In all honesty, a :censored:ty game is still probably better than no game, and I'd still play the crap out of it.

As would I. And actually, considering Madden 25 was basically the same game for the next gen consoles (menus and modes-wise) as for the older consoles, they might've done the same for NCAA.

I will likely keep my 360 just for NCAA until the damn thing just stops running or they make a college game for the next gen consoles.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived