MLB & Soccer Crossover (Cubs added)

jdp

I have seen NFL and, currently, NBA crossovers, but I have yet to see a baseball-soccer crossover. I even did some searching for one. Anyway, I thought I would try my hand on it.

I'm taking comments on any and everything.

Here's the first one: Arizona Diamondbacks SC

I went with their secondary logo, as it seemed to fit better as a soccer badge.

14929181815_0331e6a098_o.jpg

All fonts used in this series will be from Conrad's MLB package.

Concepts done in Illustrator and Photoshop.

EDIT: I should also mention, if it hasn't already been recognized, that the kit sponsors are just the namesake of the home ballpark. In the case there isn't a sponsored park (Yankee Stadium), I'm using a prominent ad from within the park.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah looks like their wearing a big cowboy belt buckle with the A logo on it. I would ditch that, but I like everything else. Pretty clean and simple. Maybe could see the Diamondbacks being a little more out there seeing as how they don't have much in the way of uniform tradition. I could see a beautiful 3rd in the purple and teal too! Can't wait to see some pinstripe designs in the future as well. I don't usually follow crossover threads, but baseball and soccer I think could be really unique and cool.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Sublimated scales, yes. And yeah, I was seeing what it would look like with the logo on the waist. Didn't look as bad as I thought it might.

Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

You're right, the secondary does work better as a crest. Good call there.

The home's a bit drab. I would like to see a few more design elements worked in.

Nice stuff on the away with the sublimated scales.

Agreed with others that the logo on the waist doesn't really work. I was going to say that a good chunk of players wear their shirts untucked and that would cover up the logo, but thinking on it, I'm not sure how true that is. Still, there are better places for it.

Yeah, I can't argue with anything so far. I will say that Puma has tamed their designs somewhat, and I usually try to keep in line with what the manufacturers are doing. I already have some updates in mind for this anyway, so I'll incorporate more in the future.

The waist band "A" was an ill-conceived move not to be repeated. Then again, if it looks that much like a belt buckle, maybe it will fit in nicely on one of the Texas teams. ;)

Yeah, I can't argue with anything so far. I will say that Puma has tamed their designs somewhat, and I usually try to keep in line with what the manufacturers are doing. I already have some updates in mind for this anyway, so I'll incorporate more in the future.

The waist band "A" was an ill-conceived move not to be repeated. Then again, if it looks that much like a belt buckle, maybe it will fit in nicely on one of the Texas teams. ;)

I was actually going to say that I think it could work really well with the Rangers. Could definitely see an update of the old marshall's star logo from 94-02 working well right there, and possibly as the badge.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

dang, you beat me to it, but this is a really nice job. Love the sublimated scales.

My only hope for the future is that the logos have a soccer look to them - not just roundels with a soccer ball replacing the baseball. That's one my goal was when I started my NHL/Soccer Crossover.

Props for actually putting advertisements ont he uniforms, that's the one thing about the soccer crossovers that ahs bugged me, no one ever puts sponsors on the uniforms.

Ive only seen 4 soccer crossovers and every one has had sponsors. Maybe i missed the ones without them - thankfully.

Update to the Diamondbacks.

I added a bit more to the scale sublimation to it mimics the pattern on a snake. albeit simplified. I actually tried adding far-more detailed scales so it actually looked like a diamondback snake, but it wasn't turning out well. I'll post those at another time for comparison's sake. Until then, here's the update.

14771941620_626d3590ff_o.jpg

Later today I'll post Atlanta.

Nothing on the updated Diamondbacks, eh? Very well. Maybe this will get the comments coming in...?

AFC Braves
Here's Atlanta. I approached this one as a combination of eras, mostly because their existing design elements fit in this application.
The crest is slightly adapted from the Braves current alternate logo. Again, it had a logo that lent itself well to a soccer crest, so I didn't feel the need to change much.
Although the feather on the shorts comes off as similar to basketball, I liked the look, so I ran with it. I also incorporated the middle portion of the feather on the chest.
As for the clash kit, I went straight grey, despite comments about the Arizona home being too plain. Not only do the MLB Braves away uniform look somewhat similar, but this also looked better than a navy shirt, I thought.
14772079327_caa7c7037f_o.jpg
Next up is Baltimore.
By the way, anything you like/dislike about the presentation itself? It's a WIP, so I'm open to suggestions.

Love the crest, love the feather on the shorts. The V on the home jersey, though, I'm not really sure where that comes from. It kind drowns out the crest and the sponsor logo. And grey's a bit drab for the away; would rather see either red or blue.

As far as the presentation, it looks great. All I could offer is to watch the kerning on the title font and maybe make the images a bit bigger so that some of the details are more visible at first glance.

Arizona uses SC (soccer club) while Atlanta uses AFC (association football club). Can individual clubs decide whether they want the sport to be called soccer or football?

My mindset going into this was each team would be a one-off, not really an association or league, so, yes, each could define its own name. You make up a good point, though, so I'll give it more thought going forward.

I will say that Atlanta's AFC is supposed to be Atlanta Football Club; not that it should change much to the viewer, but wanted to at least note that.

I Atlanta, but I think the numbers should be red with a blue outline on the grey.

I did try that, but it muddle the numbers too much for my liking. I'll make the images bigger, so maybe that will correct this.

Love the crest, love the feather on the shorts. The V on the home jersey, though, I'm not really sure where that comes from. It kind drowns out the crest and the sponsor logo. And grey's a bit drab for the away; would rather see either red or blue.

As far as the presentation, it looks great. All I could offer is to watch the kerning on the title font and maybe make the images a bit bigger so that some of the details are more visible at first glance.

The "V" comes from the red portion in the middle of the feather. Point taken on the rest. I do like the grey against the navy-red stripes, but I guess it doesn't translate to soccer.

2267.gif

Thanks, folks. Keep 'em coming.

Archived