Sanic

Unpopular Opinions - Anything and Everything

CS85    5,115
14 hours ago, DDR said:

Unpopular opinion: I think the Glorious Tournament of Victory is stupid. To each their own.

It's profoundly stupid.  

Also you're stupid.

DDR    927
3 hours ago, CS85 said:

It's profoundly stupid.  

Also you're stupid.

Good talk!

Ice_Cap    7,426
On 2017-03-16 at 4:41 PM, DDR said:

Unpopular opinion: I think the Glorious Tournament of Victory is stupid. To each their own.

You're not wrong.

SFGiants58    1,734

The Disaster Artist (the book about the making of the movie The Room), while hilarious, is a disturbing look into Tommy Wiseau's mental state. He doesn't come across as unintentionally funny, but rather as just an obsessive :censored: who is creepy around women, oblivious to the needs of his actors and crew (read the bit where Greg takes him to see The Talented Mr. Ripley - where Tommy completely misses the point of that movie), and all around a terrible person to be around. It didn't endear me to him at all.

DG_Now    3,803
On 8/4/2017 at 9:08 PM, The Six said:

Wes Anderson is a talentless hack.

Nah. He's got a formula, for sure, but it's not talentless.

I really love Bottle Rocket, Royal Tennenbaums and the Life Aquatic. I didn't care for the Darjeeling Limited. I didn't see Moonrise Kingdom or the Grand Budapest Hotel, in part because I feel like I maxed out on Wes Anderson.

You know what's really good? Fantastic Mr. Fox.

DDR    927

I'll agree with that. His stuff is formulaic. He's got a very distinct style. But he's very talented.

DnBronc    34
On 1/8/2017 at 2:29 PM, MCM0313 said:

I generally like '80s music better than either '70s or '90s music.

Late-80's music is better than early-80's. I like metal and rap better than new wave. 

As for 90's music, I think that Nirvana was very overrated, as was Grunge (even though it wasn't bad). On You Tube, this guy called Grunge the special olympics of metal. 

MCM0313    766
12 hours ago, DnBronc said:

Late-80's music is better than early-80's. I like metal and rap better than new wave. 

As for 90's music, I think that Nirvana was very overrated, as was Grunge (even though it wasn't bad). On You Tube, this guy called Grunge the special olympics of metal. 

Yeah, never been a fan of grunge. I like new wave though.

OnWis97    2,152
7 minutes ago, Zeus89725 said:

The California flag sucks, as does Texas'.

I'm with you on California.

Texas's flag is OK, though if some lower-profile state used it, it would be regarded as just another flag.

B-Rich    223
11 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

I like beaches on the New England (or all of the Northeast) coast more than the ones out in Southern California.

I tend to agree, to some extent.

Having just come from a southern California vacation (and taken a surfing lesson at Venice Beach);  I can tell you that the water in San Diego, Malibu, and Venice, while pretty to look at, is essentially worthless.  It is TOO DAMN COLD.   Thankfully they gave us wet-suit tops for the surfing lesson; I don't think I could have handled it otherwise.  And the sand is  not so great either-- sort of a neutral gray/tan, dirty looking stuff. 

Meanwhile in terms of my northeast experience, the water on Block Island, Rhode Island was actually warmer, and the beach a little nicer.  Sort of like the seashore scenes in "Jaws"... But on the other hand, the beach at Coney Island was DISGUSTING:

240782_224149497612942_2050228_o.thumb.jpg.73e36671fff587a4fe43a12a33405907.jpg

Yucky water and a dirty, trash-strewn crowded beach composed of dirt-colored sand.

The best beaches in the country, however, are on the Gulf Coast Florida panhandle.  Sugar-white sand.  Caribbean-like clear water with a turquoise hue.  And water temps that don't freeze you to death.  Took this just last week in Miramar Beach near Destin:

20170802_121556.thumb.jpg.6e9fbe6596b3887fe7431a0513281c62.jpg

OnWis97    2,152
25 minutes ago, B-Rich said:

But on the other hand, the beach at Coney Island was DISGUSTING:

Yucky water and a dirty, trash-strewn crowded beach composed of dirt-colored sand.

Not to mention the dude that gets cut off on the left side of the photo.

Needschat    125

The NFL and major college football is being treated more like a religion than a sport or just games.  

habsfan1    1,241

I think Kevin Palmer, lead singer of the rock band Trust Company, has one of the best singing voices ever.

His Bryan Adams cover of Heaven blows away the original. How is this band not more famous?

wildwing64    1,143
3 hours ago, (probably)notabandwagonfan said:

The US flag is really ugly and so is the money

At least your currency is consistent. At the time of writing our £5, £10, and £20 notes are all completely different.

But similarly, while I don't hate the design of the UK flag I find its use in certain applications to be incredibly tacky and cringeworthy. I also hate what it seems to have become symbolic of in recent years, but we're not allowed to discuss that topic here and I'd rather we didn't anyway. For similar reasons I feel even more detached from the Flag of England, even though I like the design itself.

sc49erfan15    866
9 hours ago, (probably)notabandwagonfan said:

The US flag is really ugly and so is the money. 

The flag is a little cluttered, but the symbolism is solid.

The money... yes, it leaves a lot to be desired. Specifically United States coins, but U.S. paper money is a little drab as well.

WARNING: LONG POST AHEAD

I've revived my dormant interest in coin collecting over the past year or so, since I inherited the collection my dad and I put together - so I've come to a few opinions regarding U.S. coins in general. Dead presidents are boring. Let's get allegorical motifs and representations such as Liberty back on our money ASAP.

17rh_a.jpg

Above is a 2017 United States proof set. Yawn.
-The obverse of the Lincoln cent has been the same since 1909 (the reverse has changed a few times - "wheat" reverse until 1958, Lincoln Memorial reverse until 2008, "shield" reverse since)
-The obverse of the Jefferson nickel was the same from 1938-2004 (the new one is an improvement, though)
-The Roosevelt dime has never had a single major design change from 1946-present (not even a commemorative reverse!)

-The Washington quarter has used basically the same bust on the obverse since 1932 (but rotating reverses for the State Quarters and such)

-The Kennedy half has not changed design since 1964 - except for the Bicentennial coins (and is only currently minted for collectors, not for circulation)

-The golden dollar coin has been such an amalgam of designs (Sacajawea, other Native American commemoratives, more dead presidents, and the Statue of Liberty) that it's confusing to the average person - who rarely uses it. While we're at it, I'm a proponent of discontinuing the $1 bill in favor of a $1 coin, increasing the prevalence of the $2 bill, and possibly replacing that with a $2 coin as well.

Let's compare 2017 with a 1923 set, shown below:

dHbJNaO.jpg

Even though they're pretty worn, these are still great. Yeah, Lincoln's there, but IMO the Buffalo nickel, "Mercury" dime, Standing Liberty quarter, Walking Liberty half, and the Peace dollar represent the best looking era of U.S. coins ever minted. I think the artistic interpretation and allegorical motifs are vastly superior to dead presidents.

Let's go back further, to the "Barber" coin set of 1892-1916, plus a Morgan silver dollar:

barbertypeset.jpg  

1903-CCsteelfake2.jpg

Again, worn (it's hard to find images of uncirculated type sets), but still beautiful. A lot of people find these rather plain, but I'm a fan - not as much as the 1920s set, but it's still good stuff.

Finally, I'll end with the "Seated Liberty" style of coinage, which lasted from 1836-1891 (plus a Shield Nickel and Flying Eagle cent)

seatedtypeset.jpg

Still superior, in my opinion. I'll stop here, because this post is already long and image-heavy enough (and there are tons of varieties pre-Seated Liberty stuff), but I think I've proven my point here. Let's redesign the coins to feature as few dead presidents as possible. Will this happen, given that it'll probably be construed as another "TEHYRE REMOVIN HISTORY!!!1!!" movement? Probably not, but it's well past time for a change.

Kaz    652

I'm all for any change that eliminates the penny; when even vending machines don't accept them anymore it's a sign to move on