All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I feel that this is gonna turn into an argument of color shades.
  3. The padres and diamondbacks stand out as unique takes I’ve never seen before, they both turned out really great! My favorites are probably San Diego, Detroit, and New York. They all turned out great!
  4. Who's the next team in USSL 2018-19? It seems this hasn't been updated in a long time.
  5. Biden's stuff is pretty bad. The Joe tag looks like JO
  6. LeBron haters: “Why does everyone talk about LeBron all the time? There are other players in the NBA you know!” Also LeBron haters: *in discussions not related to LeBron at all* “Haha LUL LeBrick couldn’t even get his team to the playoffs! MJ’s still the GOAT and he always will be!!!!111!1!!!!1”
  7. Since my Thunder got eliminated, go Bucks. Giannis Antetokounmpo is the Jon Snow to the Warriors' White Walkers.
  8. Thank you for pointing this out. The Nike era has seen some big mistakes. However people seem to act like everything was okay before Nike, yet the Reebok era birthed the current monstrosities that are the Bengals, Cardinals, and Falcons. Plus how can we forget that previous Bills set which still might be the worst uniform in my opinion.
  9. Yeah, there was a lawsuit in the late '80s-early '90s regarding the use of the name "Hornets." IIRC, George Shinn sued the baseball team for the exclusive rights to "Hornets," despite the baseball team using the name nearly a decade before the Charlotte Hornets took the floor. He lost. I'm not sure if the Greensboro College Hornets were part of that lawsuit at all. Here's an article (scroll to the bottom) that seems to suggest they weren't.
  10. American League, Federal League, Negro Leagues, and the PCL have all featured Major League, sometimes even Hall of Fame level talent. There just hasn't been a league to challenge the MLB since Branch Rickey's Continental League in which was supposed to launch in the early-60's but never got off the ground. Even though it never got started, Rickey's gameplan made a ton of sense for the time because he recognized MLB's financial model wasn't just falling behind, it had slipped back. One of the reasons I think baseball fell behind the NFL was because they were so stingy about expansion and exploring new markets. The league was still only operating in 10 cities as late as 1952. I can understand why it took so long to get out to places like San Francisco and Los Angeles. But the MLB could have expanded to Toronto, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Buffalo, and Baltimore as early as the 1920s. The fact that no MLB team has gone under since 1901 is proof they could have expanded to more cities at any point, before the first '61 expansion. The AFL/NFL either beat or tied MLB with bringing franchises to Buffalo, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, Nashville, Oakland, Phoenix, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Tampa Bay. People frequently talk down about expansion, but it's the only way you can grow your league. If you don't take a city seriously when they are ready to be taken as a city capable of supporting a significant franchise, they will find another league that does. And you will be behind and trying to attract new fans, while the more established team has had potentially a 20+ year head start. Today, the same dynamics don't exist anymore. To seriously compete with Major League Baseball you would need at least $8-10 billion to start with, and that's assuming we're only running a six-team league. Looking at alternatives going family-friendly because you already have hundreds of Minor-League teams to serve that function. I don't think rules changes or a different presentation style alone would be enough to attract a younger audience that MLB isn't currently hitting. You could play playoff games earlier, but again I would look at them as ancillary issues and not something you can build a league around. The only thing I think you could do with regards to creating an alternative to the MLB would be to start up a Women's league. The fact that nobody has attempted to do so since Phillip Wrigley is surprising to me. I know how many female writers I've run into who got into covering in large part because of A League of Their Own and have met more than one softball player who would prefer to be playing baseball. I saw the amount of buzz and interest generated by Mo'ne Davis. There was enough interest in the idea of a woman playing in the Majors to get a primetime network show green light. I see a demand here for a product that nobody is providing. I see way more room for potential growth there than another football league, or a three on three basketball league.
  11. Yes. The 12 feathers on the pant leg strip and back of the neck represent the 12th Man. I saw this in a few articles about the Nike revamp.
  12. Since you haven't mention it yet, don't forget about the Charlotte Hornets just 90 miles away originally from 1988 to 2002. More people are going to familiarize with a new NBA team than a D3 school. I've also found that Shenandoah U. Hornets joined the same conference as Greensboro's in 1992 (then known as the Dixie Conference). Lynchburg College of Virginia is another nearby former conference member with the same nickname. So with all these teams as the Hornets at the same time, I can see why Greensboro changed their name if it wasn't due some negative reason.
  13. I agree. I was thinking the seams would look similar to the Buck's city jerseys rather than just sublimated.
  14. I like it. I feel like with a mashup like this the seams should be visible.
  15. On that note, during the 1950s, the PCL gained the "Open" classification, and as such, is the only minor league to get that distinction.
  16. Dan Snyder going to choose Washington's first round pick. This dude deserves his fate.
  17. In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana. This mashup jersey draws inspiration from the rich history of Indiana high school basketball which is embedded in the fabric of the state's sporting culture.
  18. New Orleans Jazz sounds awful, due to the syllable dissonance. Two words (one syllable and three syllables) paired with a one-syllable name just doesn’t sound right. Pelicans and Hornets are better. Besides, Utah Stars? ABA fetishization is annoying.
  19. Imagine how good this Clippers team would be if Lebron trolled everyone & joined them instead of The Lakers. Then again, with how his first year in LA went, he probably would have :censored:ed them up too.
  20. Today
  21. Looks like Brownie to me, as well. Is the one on the very bottom a football, with maybe a letter B in it? Colors look to be staying the same. I understand that they do focus groups and what not, but why not let the fans vote on a uniform?
  22. 1 - I disagree that their designs have been average at best. If I were to rank NFL uniforms, the majority of the Nike re-designs would be below 16, and thus NOT average. 2 - See @oldschoolvikings post above to see exectly how Nike highlights its swoosh. I don't hate Nike. I only wear NIke casual shoes. I DO hate Nike's design team, and how most NFL teams have bowed to their designs.
  23. Woof. That was a tough series to take from a Washington perspective. Some more thoughts: -Carolina fully, absolutely deserved that series. They outplayed us in their three prior wins; we did not outplay them in our three wins. Simple as that. -Justin Williams’ Game 7 loss with the Caps in 2017 remains his only Game 7 loss. -Hindsight is always painfully 20/20, but maybe, just maybe, alienating a Jack Adams winner who just did the impossible and won the freakin’ Washington Capitals the Stanley Cup so that you could hire said coach’s assistant (essentially just so other teams couldn’t hire him) wasn’t a great idea. I said it last night but it’s worth mentioning - how was Carolina so consistently able to get their preferred defense pair on the ice against the Ovechkin line? You’re home! You have the last change! You dictate the matchups! Todd Reirden may yet end up being a great coach, and he got us to a fourth straight division title, but now that the Islanders are through and we’re out, Trotz’s exit looms large. -Braden Holtby had his worst postseason game in a long time at the worst possible time. -Carolina suffocated the Caps’ PP. It cost us dearly a few times. -The Foegle hit on Oshie was dirty as all get out. -That no goal call in Game 6 looms large. Despite all of that nonsense/ranting up there, at the end of the day, we got our Cup. Can’t ask for too much more. I’d be happy to see any of the remaining teams win it all. Except the Bruins. May the next generation of Boston sports fans endure pain and suffering for eternity as penance.
  24. I love this Clippers team though. A three-year experiment in addition by subtraction. And a throwback to the 00s when we all (rightly!) thought Doc Rivers is a damn good coach.
  25. This might be an unpopular opinion but I think the Dbacks finally nailed it. I love that the dbacks added teal/turquoise to the red and black. I would be in favor of dropping the primary home and road unis and make the teal accented ones the primaries for home and road. I also love the re addition of the snakehead with the ball in the mouth.
  26. In the Rest vs. Rust debate I was firmly on Team Rest because the defense was banged up, Bobrovsky needed time to rest, and needed time for Vladislav Gavrikov to get over here from the KHL. We will see of course if it makes any difference. I kind of think that's one of those things that's talked about more than it actually matters. If they lose the series I don't think it'll be because they had too much time off and if they win I don't think it'll be because the Bruins had no time off. The Blue Jackets have a world class goaltender who's been lights out down the stretch and had one bad period against the Lightning, but was otherwise spectacular. He's had playoff troubles before, but looks like he overcame that against Tampa. Seth Jones and Zach Werenski are elite puck moving defenseman who play a big role in the offense, but I do enjoy watching Seth Jones stickcheck the puck off guys' sticks in the defensive because he's enormous and long. David Savard is a possession monster who's stepped up his offensive abilities this year and Dean Kukan has been a pleasant surprise this season. Their bottom pair on D, however, is a weak spot with the injuries they've had on the blue line. The forwards have some guys. Top line interchanges PL Dubois for Matt Duchene depending on the night, but Cam Atkinson and Artemi Panarin are on the wings. That's the most dangerous line. Josh Anderson is a big dude who motors, but plays clean and can score. He's Tom Wilson if Tom Wilson wasn't a dumb a$$hole. They also have some sneaky small fast guys like Oliver Bjorkstrand and this Alexandre Texier kid who seem to score every time they have the puck. Best ranked penalty kill in the league and they're the second least penalized team in the NHL this season, which is the stat I point to when so many national writers griped "the refs put their whistles away in the playoffs!". Maybe, but there wasn't a whole lot in that series where I went "yikes. got away with one there". Average to bad power-play for the whole season, but they went 5 out of 10 against Tampa, which is actually kind of misleading because one of those was at the end of game 2 when they were up 5-1, plus they scored a 6 on 5 goal in game 4 so really they were 6 for 10 if you think about it like that. It'll be interesting to see what they try against Boston because against Tampa they played a patient, defense-first, neutral zone heavy game that disrupted passes and made it difficult for the Lightning to enter the zone and their forecheck was really good. I'm not sure if the same systems will work against Boston, but one thing I saw was the team committed to playing complete team hockey with everyone buying into the systems and were air-tight responsible with the puck on the breakout and in the neutral zone, which was my biggest worry going into the Lightning series. I'm worried about them giving that Marchand guy too much room to operate. He always always always seems to have a goal and 2 assists against the Blue Jackets.
  1. Load more activity

• Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?