All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. With that logo, by Menace they must mean teenage hoodlum or night stalker from an episode of SVU.
  3. That's an interesting point. I'd be curious if the contract specifies either aspect of that (uniform v platform).
  4. I'm far from a corporate apologist, but Nike didn't spend $1 billion-plus just for the privilege of outfitting football teams. They bought a branding platform, and that's what they've used it for. I'm not sure why we would expect anything less from it.
  5. This isn’t news, just my personal preference: I find the Seahawks uniforms a bit busy but also so close to being a great modern design. I do not like the stripes connecting from the sleeves across the chest, nor do I like the number font. The font is overly complicated with weird angles and the pattern in the numbers clutters things up, especially when paired with the outline. They should either eliminate the pattern and keep the outline or use the pattern sans outline. A simpler font and limiting the design to the sleeve caps would clean this up tremendously. The pants stripes are great. The sleeve caps make me think of these as a cousin of the Falcons, except this set isn’t riddled with generic stripes, panels, and tapered lines. It also helps that these come with meaningful inspiration of the indigenous people whereas the Falcons inspiration is anyone’s guess.
  6. Gambling bills are ready to be signed (or not) by the governors of Montana, Iowa, and and even Indiana.
  7. The Continental League is what put the gun to MLB's head to expand, but by the same token all four major sports leagues were going through expansions, so I don't know how much credit should go to the Continental League for getting the ball started on expansion. There's no question the League led directly to the creation of the Astros and Mets. The rest is a bit murkier. I mentioned Toronto earlier as being a market the MLB could have expanded to decades before they did. The Toronto Maple Leafs of the International League were playing in a 20,000+ seat stadium and outdrawing some Major League teams well into the 1960s. It shouldn't have taken until the mid-'70s for someone to pipe up and say, hey maybe that city with the million-plus population base and a decades-long track record of supporting baseball should get a team. Another market I didn't mention in my earlier post that MLB could have been first to but wasn't is Atlanta. When the Braves came into town, the team they displaced, the Atlanta Crackers had been in operation since 1892. But the second the NFL announces the Falcons (franchise awarded specifically to block AFL expansion), it's okay for an MLB team to go there. What should tell you is up until about the 1950s, no matter how strong a minor league market was, it didn't matter. They weren't getting a team. That's why when you study baseball history in the United States before the 1960s; you can't just focus on the MLB and ignore everything else. The sport was way bigger than MLB would let you believe because there were so many underserved markets, which is what gave rise to brainstorming tours, minor league dynasties and most importantly the Negro Leagues. Its a completely different world today, but I still see baseball twiddling their thumbs when it comes to cities like Portland, Austin, and Montreal. The built-in excuse now is we need all of our teams to be comfortable with their ballpark situations before looking into other markets. But name one year in the past 50 where this has been true across the league? You don't set unattainable goals if you're serious about doing something.
  8. Bump. The game is officially sold out. https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/04/23/2020-nhl-winter-classic-cotton-bowl-sold-out/
  9. I’m guessing he was trying to show Chelsea’s leaked kit. It’s one of their worst I can recall.
  10. I like the idea of yellow as the home jersey if it's what they wore when they moved in 1946. That being said, I can see the Rams completely ticking all the fans off if they ditch the current home design for a Seattle like design.
  11. Not that it means anything but the Redskins are using their throwback logo for something at the draft:
  12. The image is broken. What teams was it?
  13. Because fans are just as varied in opinions as players and owners. Cleveland would need a new jersey every game to meet what everyone wants.
  14. Because focus groups don’t work...
  15. Every time someone says the rams home jerseys should be yellow, an infant dies.
  16. It wasn't for lack of trying, even if it never made it onto the field. I have seen the Continental League given a great deal of credit for MLB's decision to finally expand in the '60s. Most of the expansion or relocation markets of the '60s were originally supposed to be part of the CL. The Mets franchise was actually awarded to the New York CL ownership group (which effectively killed the CL).
  17. When you can, please check my last PM. It's about my request, which I posted on one of your forum topics/threads back a few months ago. Thanks in advance and sorry just in case.

18. Today
  19. Just last week I found out about the existence of floorball, which is played on a court with a length ranging from 118 to 131 feet, and a width ranging from 59 to 66 feet. In this sport the goalie does not have a stick.
  20. And the Vikings redesign of '06 (*shudder*). The difference is that, for whatever reason, I don't seem to remember that many people pinning those horrible designs as directly on Reebok as we do now on Nike. I think the general feeling was those ideas seemed to be largely a product of NFL Properties. That may or may not have been true, but in the decade that they were exclusive, Reebok definitely didn't put themselves out front and center on every change the way Nike does. Now when there's a new uniform, it's debuted with Nike imagery, and Nike logos, and buckets and buckets of Nike-speak. I'm sure it's true that the teams are just as much to blame/praise for new uniforms now as they were then, but the way it's presented it doesn't always feel that way.
  21. I recently read a very good book on the Continental League called Bottom of the Ninth by Michael Shapiro. It's an odd book, ostensibly about both Branch Rickey and Casey Stengel. However, the two of them don't interact; the book looks separately at the formation of the Continental League and at the Yankees' 1960 season. The author never even makes any coherent case for why Rickey and Stengel should be considered in parallel. This book is really like two books in one cover. The half about the Continental League is far more interesting. While Stengel is indeed a fascinating character, there has been plenty written about him. Whereas, this chronicling of the attempt to launch the Continental League is the most detailed material I have ever seen on that topic. The central character in that story, apart from Rickey, is Bill Shea. And there are many scenes involving Yankee owner Del Webb, baseball Commissioner Ford Frick, A.L. President Joe Cronin, columnist Dan Daniel, and even some AFL owners, as the Continental League's Denver team was originally controlled by Broncos founder Bob Howsam.
  22. Literally nobody says that. Nike takes heat because Nike is the one currently screwing up the league. We took on Reebok when they were doing it, but now complaining about them seems misplaced. A bit late, like Ike jokes.
  23. Yeah, but we should never take press release marketing-speak very seriously.
  1. Load more activity

• Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?