All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. It depends on how you measure it. Do you look at it as 4 games per season, or as just under 25% of the season? I lean toward the latter, so I'm not sure that it is the most restraint.
  3. Eh, Denver’s set is still better
  4. Same. While I'm in the minority here, I think variety is good. I can also understand the worry that it can turn the league into a free-for-all like college. But that means team switching helmets every week. As it stands now I have no problem with teams wearing alternates 3 times a year. Out of the "big 4" major leagues in America the NFL is still far behind everyone else and has shown the most restraint. I'm completely okay with "city" uniforms in other leagues but can agree that it's not necessary in the NFL. If the H-Town unis are the closest we get to that, I'm fine. Like it or not this is the way the world of sports branding has gone.
  5. I actually really like the new home uniform
  6. To me it waters down the identity. Universities are not as tied to football and football helmets for their identity, as they have bigger athletic departments and more. While Michigan bringing out an "M" helmet and a cartoon mascot helmet to go along with their famous helmet would raise eyebrows, at most schools, it's all an expansion of a broader identity. I'm well into my 40s and so maybe this isn't the same for younger people but the the helmet was a defacto alternate (or occasional primary) for all teams when I was younger. T-shirts, jackets, hats, stickers, etc. displayed the helmets. I still remember my Vikings pajamas with the helmet taking up most of the front. While this has diminished some, the helmet has remained a part of the identity...now you have no idea which helmet the Texans will wear. This holds true to several other teams. The helmet, outside of maybe Dallas and a couple of other teams, is going away as a key team identifier.
  7. From release video on Youtube. Darker blue, lighter red.
  8. I would've swore these were dropping later, but here's my take Pros: Design is not as out there as I thought The usage of colors pops really well and is balanced (although the road uniform is a little navy heavy) Any design these days that uses fairly traditional pants striping + contrasting socks gives it a big upgrade Cons: Why do we need two different designs? You're a franchise that's twenty years old, it doesn't make any sense to not just color swap (especially because I do think the shoulders horns work) There's pictures of it, but the last names are HUGE! Derek Stingley Jr's nameplate goes the entire length of the jersey The uniform is more flashy than it needs too, especially with the all red + chrome; that uniform is not gonna be fun to watch Just like Denver went all in on mountains, Houston went all in on "candy paint", which is gonna make every single combo of theirs extremely flashy (frankly too flashy) Other comments: I won't lie, I actually dig the H-Town set quite a bit. It's annoying that the logo is mostly light blue when the uniform elements are red, but it should look good as a twice-a-year set. Seems like so much of the uniform is built to look fantastic under the NRG stadium lights, but when the Texan will only be having 2-3 home night games. the candy gloss won't look nearly as good. Frankly, I'm waiting to see what the uniform looks like in normal outdoor sunshine. Overall, it does work well, but I'm always gonna be pissed off that they didn't just match the home and road uniforms. It's definitely one of the most eye-catching sets in the league now, but that's not necessarily a good thing. Having mostly traditional striping bumps it up, but I still think it's a fairly slight downgrade to the old ones. It could've been a hell of a lot worse, though.
  9. I started this thread back in 2013. The Texans were the first on the list... and I stand by it. Downgrade.
  10. Yeah, I think the premise that they're the [insert power 5 school nickname] of college hockey is the issue. Denver's really more like a Villanova or Gonzaga just with more national titles. They're phenomenal at one sport but not at all present in the top levels of D1 at anything else, while UConn, Duke, and UNC are all power 5 schools. I'm not sure I'd trust the average fan to know what Nova or Zags' mascot despite both being hyper generic. Honestly, it really all comes down to the fact that football is the truly important sport for fan knowledge. The top level FBS schools are the ones everyone knows and everyone else is a crapshoot.
  11. Not everyone is a hit, but yeah much prefer teams have their own compared to Soccer where a lot of the time it’s the same font throughout.
  12. Bull horn helmet, great idea, poor execution. Can barely see it.
  13. It'a funny to see the disparity on which jersey is the best/worst from the Houston set. I wouldn't be surprised to see the alternate become the new primary before long since it has the same stripe as the away. I think the H-Town set would work better with the recolored Texans logo on the helmet and the old english H on the shoulders. I'm ambivalent on the red helmet. It's a good idea for a helmet logo but I think the horn is too large.
  14. "It'Z aGaInSt NfL RuLeZ 4 tHeM 2 UsE TiTaNs CoLoRz"
  15. I am likely in the minority but I actually like the number font. Not everyone needs to wear a standard Block font a la the new Arena League
  16. My thoughts on the new Texans uniform set: PROS: - The red helmet with bull horns is a great alternated helmet - Road jersey horn striping - Keeping the current blue helmet - some sort of pant stripe CONS: - They should have flipped the design motive on the home and alternate red so that the home and road have consistent designs and the alternate has the primary logo on the sleeve to offset the bull horns on the helmet - Pant stripe only goes partial up the leg - Inconsistent color usage on the H=Town alt, would have made the H on the helmet red or the numbering H-Town blue - Numbers are a poor update from the prior font Overall, it's a mix and trying to have something for everybody without developing consistency across all uniform elements in the design.
  17. I've simply never understood this take. What makes having more options less professional? What makes having combinations and the ability to put show your brand in an another way that it contrasts the competitors brand on the same playing field. Hey if it looks good it looks good. By no means am I happy with all of the Texans choices but I don't think choices makes a team any less professional. In fact it gives this forum another thing to argue about on a week to week basis when it comes to pants and socks choice.
  18. This went better than I anticipated. I think the red, white, and blue primaries (I suppose the red isn't "primary") are upgrades...even with the horn missing from one for no reason. I really anticipated disliking this. H-Town is awful. My ranking: Lions. Short of perfection on the primaries but an enormous improvement. A-. (Would be easy A if no unnecessary black uniform and then add stripes to the pants and it's an A+). Jets: B+. Huge improvement. That logo just works, the Namath look was tired and the previous look was blech. Broncos: C+. Improvement overall but missed the boat on what would have made people happy and it's a bit gimmicky. Like the Namath jerseys, the previous look was aging poorly. Texans: C. Improved primary jerseys but too many identities with the original, the horns, and the H. H-Town is brutal and of these four teams, they were the one in least need of a change. I never loved their look but it was sturdy and generally classic for a newer team. Upgrading to these jerseys (sans H-Town) would have made sense but all the other stuff makes it a bit of a mess.
  19. I actually had no idea and I'm a college hockey fan.
  20. I don't hate the Texans set, but it's a definite downgrade. It's better than the worst of the Nike sets: Titans, Jags, Bucs, Browns, Rams bone, etc. -The home is definitely the best of the bunch. -The font drags the whole set down. -I don't mind the horn helmet. -Mono-red sucks please wear that with blue or white pants. (they won't) -The H-Town jersey is unnecessary and just a way to force the Oiler blue in. Not a fan of the H logo either -And finally, why do teams hate contrasting socks?
  21. I assumed it’d be the case. New ownership and the franchise has seemed to make largely bad decisions the last 8 years.
  22. This looks good, but I guess I don't understand why you'd go with the horn-striping for the white and red jerseys, but not the home navy. That would have kept these jerseys relatively simple but without the repetition of reusing the helmet logo on the sleeves.
  23. It says on the Texans landing page for the reveal that the alternate is the "first City Edition" in the NFL. It actually says that. Could be a case of their production team just lazily throwing words around, but could be an indicator of how talks with Nike have gone and lead me to believe what I suspect is going to be a shift towards some very unconventional alternates (I try to block it from my brain, but the Commanders black uniform very much fits this mold, as did the Falcons gradient which was reminiscent of the Hawks)
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.