Pirates to host 2006 MLB All-Star Game?

Slickster

I was hoping to see the ASG in San Francisco in 2006. I guess it will be in 2008 instead.

Not if St. Louis wants it. We were promised it in 2006, but the owners want to wait for the ballpark village commerical area to be more complete, so they decided to wait, but we've been told we can have it at some point by 2010. Now, I dunno if we get to pick when we want it, or just that we will get it in '08 or '10, so I guess it still could be in SF.

Pittsburgh again? They just hosted it 10 years ago!

I'd love to see one at the new ballpark, but c'mon, there's gotta be better rotation than that. St. Louis would be my choice... if the new ballpark is ready by then.

My choices (years since last time hosting)...

2005 Detroit (34 years - already confirmed)

2006 St Louis (40 years)

2007 New York (30 years)

2008 San Francisco (24 years)

2009 Kansas City (36 years)

2010 San Diego (18 years) or Arizona (never) - whoever wants it more

2011 Tampa Bay (never)

2012 Pittsburgh (18 years)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

WTF? 12 years inbetween? That's a record. And why stay away from what's been called all over the place by visiting teams as one of the best, if not the best ballpark in MLB?

Maybe there is some truth to the league owners mad that Giants management went private to find funds for the ballpark.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

It looks pretty much like its a done deal. The Pirates have on their web site that they are holding 4:30 pm ET (1:30pm PT) with Major League Baseball officials including Commisioner Bud Selig.

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/NASApp/m...s_pit&fext=.jsp

PITTSBURGH -- PNC Park will be the site of the 2006 Major League Baseball All-Star Game, according to a report published on Monday in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

The Pirates and Major League Baseball have called a press conference for Tuesday at 4:30 p.m. ET, at which time it will likely be announced that the Pirates have been awarded the right to host the 2006 Midsummer Classic. Commissioner Bud Selig is expected to be on hand to make the announcement.

Pirates GM Dave Littlefield would neither confirm nor deny that his club had submitted the winning bid, but he did recognize that the ability to host the event would be a great asset for both the organization and the city.

"We've got a beautiful ballpark at PNC Park," he said. "To be able to showcase it would be tremendous accomplishment for the region."

Pittsburgh last hosted an All-Star Game in 1994, at Three Rivers Stadium. The Midsummer Classic was also held in the city in 1944, 1959 and 1974.

So it looks like...

2005-Detroit

2006-Pittsburgh :cursing: (nothing against the team or the city, just Selig)

2007-Tampa Bay, Kansas City, Anaheim, NY Yankees (although Steinbrenner wants a new park first)

2008-St. Louis

2009-One of the three who didn't get the 2007 ASG

2010-San Francisco (and just in time for Bonds not to participate in the HR Derby) :cursing:

I agree with you STL, PNC is gorgeous. They used limestone for the ballpark? Very nice touch, gives it a unique feel to it.

Nothing against St. Louis but I think MLB should give consideration to new ballparks that have been built already.

so it should be ARIZONA, SF, CINNCINATI, SD and PHILADELPHIA to get consideration before St. Louis. Who I beleive haven't even started building the new park. or am I wrong?

Nothing against St. Louis but I think MLB should give consideration to new ballparks that have been built already.

so it should be ARIZONA, SF, CINNCINATI, SD and PHILADELPHIA to get consideration before St. Louis. Who I beleive haven't even started building the new park. or am I wrong?

I think they have started building in St. Louis.

If Bud was any kind of human being, he'd give us the ASG soon as possible to make up for the plop that he pulled two years ago.

But that's If Bud was any kind of human being...

Anyway, it's too soon for Pittsburgh to host it again... they should've waited another couple years.

I would've given it to San Fran, but that's me...

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

I think Cincy, San Fran, St. Louis and Arizona should be on the clock right about now. Pittsburgh should wait till at least 2014, San Diego, 2012, and Philly, 2016. Actually, I'd hold off on giving Philly the All-Star Game until 2026.

LvZYtbZ.png

I also think that Cincy, San Fran, Arizona or St Louis should get the all-star game. Could you imagine having the game is Pittsburgh again? Nice stadium, yes, but too soon and I prefer to wait anyways.

I saw, I came, I left.

PNC is a nice Stadium but come on give the All-Star Game to other cities. I think by rule you have to wait a minimum 20 years between hosting the game.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Man, my Missouri team have gotten the shaft, STL - 40 years (ouch)??? KC-36 years (heart attack). I guess you gotta have a new stadium or kiss Bud ars' to get the game? :cursing:

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

The Cards have started construction, though it's hardly even the actual stadium if I heard correctly. It will be done in '06 though. They just wanna wait so the ballpark village commercial zone is doing business by then. Selig promised it back when it was a question as to whether they'd be able to build it, so I guess he wanted it done.

While I may agree with you about waiting 'till it's complete, not having the All Star Game in the city widely regarded as the best in baseball (especially by me), and at least one of the best, for 38 years (this year), is pretty terrible. It needs to be in St. Louis new stadium or not.

Archived