MLB Fonts

eriqjaffe

I've been messing around with Illustrator and Fontographer, and I've managed to create a handful of TrueType fonts based on MLB teams styles:

The first two are, essentially, taken directly from the Club Art files that MLB put up for public consumption with their MLB Kids website contest:

Basic "MLB Block":

mlb-block.png

"MLB Cubs":

mlb-cubs.png

The other two are hand-done. The letter sets were extrapolated from what I could find, so they may not be 100% accurate.

"MLB Angels":

mlb-angels.png

"MLB Blue Jays Vintage":

mlb-blue-jays-vintage.png

Comments / criticism?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fontographer has been phased out in favor of FontLab. Macromedia hasn't updated/upgraded Fontographer since 1996. There have been a few incrimental updates, nothing of real big notice (mostly tiny patches). You have to search Macromedia's site for any notice about the program; they focus all their attention to Dreamweaver, Flash and Freehand. There are no plans to update Fontographer.

From what I've read, FontLab's drawing and metrics functions are far superior to Fontographer's. Fontographer had pretty good drawing tools, but I was more comfortable drawing my letterforms in Illustrator and importing them as .eps vectors (it's kind of a pain).

I had a trial version of FontLab but I never installed it. I think there's a Mac OS-X version for it now. If you want to use Fontographer on an OS-X machine, you have to use it in Classic mode.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I do plan on releasing them...I'll probably just attach .zip files to this thread at some point.

I found Fontographer a bit difficult to navigate at first, but I'm used to it now, and it's pretty simple....I am using Illustrator to do the drawing/tracing/monkeying and importing the files into Fontographer...seems to work pretty well, as long as I don't mess up the compound paths in Illustrator.

I do plan on doing some other teams...I have numbers for the Phillies, Pirates and Astros done...the hard part is finding quality samples of the lettering for tracing purposes. It's times like this that I wish I had access to the MLB Style Guide...

--Eriq.

I do plan on releasing them...I'll probably just attach .zip files to this thread at some point.

I found Fontographer a bit difficult to navigate at first, but I'm used to it now, and it's pretty simple....I am using Illustrator to do the drawing/tracing/monkeying and importing the files into Fontographer...seems to work pretty well, as long as I don't mess up the compound paths in Illustrator.

I do plan on doing some other teams...I have numbers for the Phillies, Pirates and Astros done...the hard part is finding quality samples of the lettering for tracing purposes. It's times like this that I wish I had access to the MLB Style Guide...

--Eriq.

awesome man. You beat me to it! I've started working on getting the letter and number forms for a number of MLB teams, just started, until I can get a type program. I've got the red sox wraped up, but I'm holding off until I get a type program. Those look awesome and I look forward to the actual fonts being released by you!

Outstanding....absolutely outstanding!!I saw the Blue Jays old font and my jaw dropped!Just to let you and everyone else know,you're first font-the "basic" style-

already exists in free ware form.Here is the link if anyone is interested in getting it.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what else you have in store!

MLB Basic style font-freeware

EDIT-Upon comparison they are'nt the exact same font in the numbering,but a very close compliment.

98Falcons.png

I've some Red Sox Style fonts... but all the letters are in a vectorial format.

Only caps letters and no numbers.

I'm searching Giants Style fonts. I'm eager to change the Red Sox Style font for those Giants Style fonts.

BTW... very, very good work, eriqjaffe!

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Outstanding....absolutely outstanding!!I saw the Blue Jays old font and my jaw dropped!Just to let you and everyone else know,you're first font-the "basic" style-already exists in free ware form.

Yeah, I have that Amarillo USAF font, and the lettering is just a bit too wide to match.

A good link, nonetheless.

I'm searching Giants Style fonts. I'm eager to change the Red Sox Style font for those Giants Style fonts.

One font that looks like either the Giants or Pirates is called "vanilla whale", but I don't think it's free.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

One font that looks like either the Giants or Pirates is called "vanilla whale", but I don't think it's free.

JeffB

Thanks! I found that after your clue:http://www.1001fonts.com/font_details.html?font_id=1001

But IronChefShark is right. Vanilla Whale is similar but not too near to the Giants Style.

It does not matter! ^_^ Because I can reform it and "ya está"!

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Archived