"Embroidery" technique

eriqjaffe

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was messing around in Photoshop, and managed to get the following effect using a combination of noise, motion blur, beveling and "satin" on an otherwise flat .gif:

cresting_test.gif

Can anybody offer me any tips to improve the technique?

damn. quoting Sammy Sosa, "it's SOOOO real!":D

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I wouldnt go so far as to say it was perfection, but it is DAMN good. I'm pretty dern handly at photoshop, and I havent been able to come up with anythign that good yet.

SPEEEEEECH! SPEEEEEECH!

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Now, can you do that with the double-bird on the bat Cardinals and the Phillies' scripts?

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

I wouldnt go so far as to say it was perfection, but it is DAMN good. I'm pretty dern handly at photoshop, and I havent been able to come up with anythign that good yet.

SPEEEEEECH! SPEEEEEECH!

SPEECH! :notworthy:

hes disappeared. :D

No, sorry, I didn't disappear.

Here are the basics of what I did:

Start with a logo or shape. Seperate the various colors into seperate layers using the magic wand. For the sake of simplicity, I'm only going to show you one color:

step1.gif

Duplcate each color's layer and make them white. I used the Hue/Saturation controls to do this:

step2.gif

Working with the "white" layer, select all (control-click on the layer in the layers palette) and add noise:

add_noise.gif

Then, still working with the "white" layer, select the layer using control-click add a motion blur:

motion_blur.gif

Set the layer's blending mode to Mulitply, Overlay or Color Burn (depending on how it looks to you). For this, I chose Multiply:

step4.gif

To be continued...

That IS great, now the second test is whether you can mock the chainstitch effect that some MLB teams use on their uniforms. I know the Astros for one use it; I'm sure other teams do as well... it basically has the "loopy" look of the varsity letter on your old high school jacket, if anyone knows what I'm talking about...

AstrosTransitionsSig.gif

Now you go back to working with the "color" layer...apply a bevel using settings like these. The important thing is to set the "Highlight Mode" color to be the same as the color of the layer you're working with...adjust the Depth, Size, Higlight Mode Opacity and Shadow Mode Opacity to taste:

bevel.gif

I also used the "satin" overlay, to help give it a bit of a shine...

satin.gif

And I wound up with this:

step6.gif

I'm still experimenting with this, but I'll be sure to share any refinements I come up with.

a few links with other stitch Tuts:

http://www.myjanee.com/tuts/brush7/stitch/stitch.htm

http://www.bertmonroy.com/tutorials/text/23_stitch.htm

http://www.graphics-world.com/cgi-bin/tuto...itle=Embroidery

and this:

"We are unaware of a filter or effect that accomplishes this in a single application. However, the Alien Skin "Xenofex " plug-in has a "fir" filter and several background effects that look just like embroidered stitches. You could start there. The embroider industry has software that actually converts an image to stitches but I do not know if that actually shows the stitches.

Simulating stitches would be difficult because of the way the light reflects off the shiny silk thread used in most embroidery machines."

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

that looks good nick. you might be able to SLIGHTLY darken the white areas to make them show the effect better. also, i see this could be done either way, but wouldnt the blue space in the middle of the D, around the bronco, be flat as well? on most embroidered pieces?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived