Nolan cant dress up

brinkeguthrie

49ers Coach Mike Nolan recently petitioned the NFL to allow him to wear a suit on the sidelines during game days.

"To me, it's professional. I think it's respectful," Nolan said. "There was certainly no deal, no one came to me, there was nothing to gain. I wasn't trying to put the spotlight on me. But what I was trying to say, there's somebody in charge and this is what they look like."

The league turned Nolan down. Head coaches must wear the NFL-sanctioned team garb.

"There were marketing issues and sales issues, all that stuff," Nolan lamented. Beyond wanting to look the part of a man in charge, Nolan also viewed it as a tribute to his father, Dick, who was the coach of the 49ers from 1968-75.

"I must say looking at the pictures of my dad -- they are all around my office -- I thought, 'I'm going to do that.' But they are not going to let me."

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is why they will always be known as the No Fun League... the man is asking to wear a suit not a toga... jeesh... could anyone picture Tom Landry or Vince Lombardi wearing a team bunny hug or pullover jacket.... jeesh

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Mike Tice wanted to do that as well, and for a time, actually had a clause in his contract allowing him to wear a tie on the sidelines with a sweater-vest. I'm not sure if he still wears it...

Moose

Mike Tice wanted to do that as well, and for a time, actually had a clause in his contract allowing him to wear a tie on the sidelines with a sweater-vest. I'm not sure if he still wears it...

Moose

Tice should concentrate more on calling plays than his wardrobe.

Mike Tice wanted to do that as well, and for a time, actually had a clause in his contract allowing him to wear a tie on the sidelines with a sweater-vest.  I'm not sure if he still wears it...

Moose

Tice should concentrate more on calling plays.

Or the fluctuating market prices for tix.

I don't understand it. Why shouldn't Nolan be allowed to wear a suit?

Does the league want everyone to look like Belichick?

Then again, I'm sure some teams would love the play under a Belichick clone.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

that sux. :mad:

coaches should be able to wear what ever they want, even if it is a toga with a team logo on it. a coach looking like he is right out of Animal House(funny movie btw) would kick ass.

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

if Nolan did that to spite the league, it would be fine-city.

PS why does Belicheck always look like an unmade bed? He DOES have a lotta titles, but dont be sloppy doing it.

He did it the right way, by asking.

But instead of doing that, he should've showed up at his first game and got fined for it.

Would've been a better splash that way and got people talking about it. But he's a rook.

I suspect if they start winning, he might do it anyway. I mean, even if they fine you..so what?

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

I remember well Tom Landry in his fedora and suit. What year did the current rules take effect?

What absolute bullplop.

So the NFL, which always touts itself as a high-class organization is going to fine coaches if they don't look like they've been homeless for the past 3 years.

I'm not sure when this new rule went into effect, but I believe that Dan Reeves was the last head coach to wear a suit and tie on the field. I know he did it when he was coaching the Broncos, and he may have continued doing so with the Falcons, but I think he stopped the last year or so that he coached.

Don't hesitate to correct me.

if Nolan did that to spite the league, it would be fine-city.

PS why does Belicheck always look like an unmade bed?  He DOES have a lotta titles, but dont be sloppy doing it.

He did it the right way, by asking.

But instead of doing that, he should've showed up at his first game and got fined for it.

Would've been a better splash that way and got people talking about it. But he's a rook.

I suspect if they start winning, he might do it anyway. I mean, even if they fine you..so what?

Hell, why don't people start a fund raiser to py his fine so he can do it. How about a car wash or bake sale :P

Archived