Washington Nationals Concept

McCall

I just made navy the primary (I think it looks a little better on the white, not that I don't like what they have now with the red). Road is exactly the same as what they have and then I added an Alt.

Washington-Nationals-concep.png

Let me know what ya think, good or bad.

EDIT: the piping, btw, on the home and roads, is the same as the current roads; navy, red, navy. On the alt., if you can't see it, is red, white, red.

I like the compromise you've struck between the "W" and "DC" cap logos, because both of the logos have merit and deserved to be used in the overall design scheme. Also, I really like the alternate set, it works both at home and on the road. Great work :)

QPR%20Sig.png

This is EXACTLY what the Nats should look like on the field! Now if we could only get them a different logo...

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Like the set you've made.

But I continue my philosophical opposition to using "DC" as a cap or uniform logo.

The city the Nats play in is Washington. The boundaries of the city of Washington are coterminous with the District of Columbia. But the District is a federal district; this would be similar to a team that identifies itself by its home city by its state - like the Red Sox wearing an "M" on their caps for Massachusetts.

I realize that Washington is the only city in the District of Columbia, and they are essentially one and the same. But they're not truly one and the same. So just as seeing an "I" on the Cubs' hats would be improper, so too is the "DC" IMO.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Like the set you've made.

But I continue my philosophical opposition to using "DC" as a cap or uniform logo.

The city the Nats play in is Washington.  The boundaries of the city of Washington are coterminous with the District of Columbia.  But the District is a federal district; this would be similar to a team that identifies itself by its home city by its state - like the Red Sox wearing an "M" on their caps for Massachusetts.

I realize that Washington is the only city in the District of Columbia, and they are essentially one and the same.  But they're not truly one and the same.  So just as seeing an "I" on the Cubs' hats would be improper, so too is the "DC" IMO.

I know, but I just think it looks cool. ^_^

BTW, beautiful picture of your Niece in your sig. Today is my Niece's 1st Birthday. Happy Birthday, Anna Grace, from your Uncle Matt! :D (she's my lil' Anna Banana :P )

While you're at it, why not make the piping blue-gold-blue? Also, I'd love to see what it looks like with DC on the road cap. The city is commonly called "Washington, DC" or just "DC" to distinguish it from Washington State, so a cap-shirt combo that said "Washington DC" would make me a happy guy.

(And no, don't listen to they guy arguing that it's like Boston putting an MA on its caps. It's nothing like that. DC is what very many of us locals call the place in day-to-day conversation. "Washington" can mean anywhere in the region - I know folks in the farthest corners of Loudon County, Virginia, who tell people they live in Washington. Heck, my friend in Damascus, Maryland says that too. But "DC" refers to the city itself, where the Nationals actually play. Ditch the DC logo if you don't like how it looks, but don't get rid of it because of some patently ridiculous argument about it not being the city's name.)

20082614447.png

While you're at it, why not make the piping blue-gold-blue? Also, I'd love to see what it looks like with DC on the road cap. The city is commonly called "Washington, DC" or just "DC" to distinguish it from Washington State, so a cap-shirt combo that said "Washington DC" would make me a happy guy.

(And no, don't listen to they guy arguing that it's like Boston putting an MA on its caps. It's nothing like that. DC is what very many of us locals call the place in day-to-day conversation. "Washington" can mean anywhere in the region - I know folks in the farthest corners of Loudon County, Virginia, who tell people they live in Washington. Heck, my friend in Damascus, Maryland says that too. But "DC" refers to the city itself, where the Nationals actually play. Ditch the DC logo if you don't like how it looks, but don't get rid of it because of some patently ridiculous argument about it not being the city's name.)

while its true people here say DC instead of washington, Vitamin makes a good arguement and anyways the pretzel W looks ten times better than the DC logo.

while its true people here say DC instead of washington, Vitamin makes a good arguement and anyways the pretzel W looks ten times better than the DC logo.

No, Vitamin is just wrong. On reasoning, yes, but on plain facts too. The city is run, for example, by an entity officially known as "Government of the District of Columbia." The legislative body is formally called the "Council of the District of Columbia." The chief executive holds an office legally called "Mayor of the District of Columbia." Local judges sit on the "Superior Court of the District of Columbia." The city's seal says "District of Columbia," not "Washington." (Although the seal does show the Capitol building under about 200 feet of water, so take it with a grain of salt.)

One could go on; from the local police (MPDC) to the federal government, the city is always officially called "District of Columbia." Once the city of Washington came to occupy all the land of the District, the city ceased to exist, but the name stuck. "Washington" is essentially a nickname at this point, and putting a W on a DC team's cap is more like calling Virgil Ivan Grissom "Gus" than like making the Cubbies wear an I. But since "Washington" is the name we use to identify the whole metropolitan region, I'm all for using it as the team name even if officially there is no such place.

However, not liking the DC logo because of the way it looks is perfectly reasonable. It does look a bit too much like San Diego's cap logo for my taste, although the gold bevels reduce that somewhat. I'd rather see rounder letter shapes. And the pretzel W is actually growing on me, although I hope new owners will try for something better.

So are you gonna be at the Bobby when the Reds come to town week after next?

20082614447.png

BW, your facts don't prove much of anything. I get your point, but you're not factually proving much of anything.

The city is run, for example, by an entity officially known as "Government of the District of Columbia."

The government of the District governs all the cities in the District. As the city of Washington is the only city in the District, the district government and city government administer the same area. The government of any city is under the government of the state the city exists within. In this case, the governments fused so as not to be duplicitous (score one for bureaucracy).

Local judges sit on the "Superior Court of the District of Columbia."

No city has its own Superior Court. States do. Local judges near me sit on the Superior Court of New Jersey. What does this signify?

...from the local police... (MPDC)

And the police department protecting Charlotte, NC, is named for the county (Mecklenburg) in which Charlotte is found. Again, what does the name of a police department signify? There are shore towns in New Jersey that don't have their own police force, and are patrolled by the NJ State Police.

If Washington no longer exists, then why does every mailing address in DC list itself as "Washington, DC"? Ditto the license plates. And if the city adopted the district's seal, it doesn't mean the city's name isn't still Washington.

Philadelphia County contains only the city of Philadelphia (cities like Kensington and Germantown were absorbed into the city hundreds of years ago), so the governments are one and the same.

Like I said, I don't want to belabor the point. But I don't know how I am wrong, and your facts don't sway me. The distinction is more trivial in Philadelphia, since the city and county share a name. In Washington, they don't. Our nation's capital is still listed as Washington in every book I can find. The teams are named "WASHINGTON ----S", the logo should reflect the city the team is named for. Which is my point.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived