Photoshop Effects

irondudez

i was trying to create some nfl jerseys in photoshop usin the nfl fonts, but i'm having problems with effects, namely the eagles and dolphins.. when i do a stroke effect, the corners of the numbers and names are too rounded, and when i do the drop shadow effect for teams like the dolphins or ravens i just cant get it right (you'll see what i mean in the pics i post)... i wondering if there are any plugins to download or if there is anything i am missing allready in the program that could help me (i have adobe photoshop 7.0).

MY Dolphins attempt:

DolphinsAway.jpg

What it SHOULD look like:

00221723_xl.jpg

^^^^^ i cant get the drop shadow effect in the 2's

My Eagles attempt:

EaglesAway.jpg

What it SHOULD look like:

00122393_xl.jpg

^^^^^ the corners of my stroke effects are too rounded.

I can't explain the rounded strokes problem, I haven't used Photoshop 7's path features that much. But part of the problem is that you're using a drop shadow to mimic a 3-D shadow. A drop shadow doesn't show perspective in that sense, it only shows foreground over background. You may have to draw in the missing points of the actual 3-D shadow to have it look right.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

in the stroke layer style box under the Position area change it from outside to inside and it will stop rounding.

as for the shadow do this:

create a new layer beneath the text layer

ctrl+click the layer with the text to select the text then in the new layer beneath it fill it with the shadow color

ctrl+ d to deselect and while on the new layer below the text hit V or select the move tool.

while having the move tool selected hold alt, while holding alt alternate hitting the down and right arrows on your keyboard and a new layer will be made for each new position thus creating a solid, diagonal, shadow. it should wind up looking like this:

dolphinsnumbers.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there... Big dummy here with Illustrator 10...

I am trying to follow these instructions but having trouble following along...

in the stroke layer style box under the Position area change it from outside to inside and it will stop rounding.

Check

Check I think... I click new layer which puts the layer on top, I then move the layer underneath the layer with text.

ctrl+click the layer with the text to select the text then in the new layer beneath it fill it with the shadow color

I am lost. After creating the new layer, the focus changes to that layer. I am holding down the control key and am I clicking the layer with text on it from the layer window (which then makes both layers in the layer window highlighted?) or am I clicking on the actual text which then puts the focus back on the text and the text layer. When I try to fill it changes the color of my text. Am I missing something? (beside graphic design ability? :) )

Thanks.

mvps.jpg

Hi there... Big dummy here with Illustrator 10...

I am trying to follow these instructions but having trouble following along...

Check

Check I think... I click new layer which puts the layer on top, I then move the layer underneath the layer with text.

I am lost. After creating the new layer, the focus changes to that layer. I am holding down the control key and am I clicking the layer with text on it from the layer window (which then makes both layers in the layer window highlighted?) or am I clicking on the actual text which then puts the focus back on the text and the text layer. When I try to fill it changes the color of my text. Am I missing something? (beside graphic design ability? :) )

Thanks.

LOL.. .That is because I am following Photoshop instructions in Illustrator! LOL. Boy I told you I am a big dummy.

I will look this up in the Illustrator thread and if not.. post it there. :D

mvps.jpg

ctrl+ d to deselect and while on the new layer below the text hit V or select the move tool.

while having the move tool selected hold alt, while holding alt alternate hitting the down and right arrows on your keyboard and a new layer will be made for each new position thus creating a solid, diagonal, shadow. it should wind up looking like this:

dolphinsnumbers.jpg

FYI - those still round a bit, but it's on the inside of the stroke.

How about Option C?

Put your numbers on a layer by themselves. Ctrl-click to select.

Select... Modify... Expand.... Enter *twice* the width of your desired stroke. (The selection will expand evenly on either side of the original number.)

Create a new layer underneath your numbers and fill it with your stroke colour. Merge if the mood strikes you.

Voila! No more rounded corners.

Eriq, your avatar's making me hungry....

Archived