Marquette Football

sc49erfan15

And the fourth installment in the mid-major madness, Marquette:

MarquetteFootball.png

Some notes...

-The other three were simple and traditional. This one? Nuh uh. I tried to make it modern but tasteful, though.

-Helmet...blue with a gold eagle. Why? They're the GOLDEN FREAKIN' EAGLES. Why the logo is blue, I don't know...but I'm not here trying to revamp their identity, I'm here to make a football concept. Blue helmet, gold eagle was really the only way to go.

-Striping...modern but tasteful, in my opinion.

-Didn't really know where to go with the font. I'm still kinda iffy on it.

-I didn't like creating a whole new set of pants just for the alternate...but hey, whatever.

I think that's about it...as always, comments and constructive criticism are greatly appreciated and encouraged...thanks in advance! When I have time, I'll start working on another one...already know the team.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I'm not sure if I'm sold on the side striping. It looks like a misplaced ellipse. Otherwise, these are sweet.

How do you think it might look to use the MU logo (minus the ribbon) as the helmet logo?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Very nice.

The ONLY thing I would consider changing is blue pants on the away alts? Eh, I dunno. Looks good either way.

Wait, does Marquette even PLAY football?!

Haha, no...that's the point. For well-known colleges and mid-majors that don't have football...my take on what it would be like if they did.

they do have a football team, it is one of the very few college club football programs in the country...the only other club team I can think of right now is the one at UWM...basically, they play each other and the JV squads of D3 schools.

basically, you aren't gonna see bigtime college football in Milwaukee anytime soon for various reasons, these three being the most important:

3: Wisconsin. UWM...football. to understand why the Panthers would only be allowed a 1-AA team at best, focus on the first two letters of their acronym. No way the folks in Madison would allow em to go 1-A. then...

2: Marquette's lack of interest...I wouldn't blame em: they sucked when they had a varsity team, and the club team usually finishes under .500. may as well stick to choking in basketball :D aaaaand the most important reason...

1: even if MU was interested and Madison wasn't afraid of instate competition, there is no suitable stadium in Milwaukee. there are a bunch of high school fields, but most (if not all) of them wouldn't be fit for an NAIA team.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I hope MU does get football back. UW needs someone to whip up on every year again. :D

Seriously, I think the stripes are wrong. In the spirit of that wacky Milwaukee Arena floor the WARRIORS and Bucks used to play on, I'd suggest using the color and then having stripes come down and outside from the shoulders to create a sort-of M shape. You could achieve the same effect with the Nike Batwing jerseys if the bat wing and the collar were the same contrasting color.

And, I must say this would look better in metallic gold. Call Bill Cords.

Packers-2.png

I hope MU does get football back. UW needs someone to whip up on every year again. :D

Seriously, I think the stripes are wrong. In the spirit of that wacky Milwaukee Arena floor the WARRIORS and Bucks used to play on, I'd suggest using the color and then having stripes come down and outside from the shoulders to create a sort-of M shape. You could achieve the same effect with the Nike Batwing jerseys if the bat wing and the collar were the same contrasting color.

And, I must say this would look better in metallic gold. Call Bill Cords.

I actually thought about the stripes forming an M, but it just wasn't working out. Is there any way you can post a pic of the floor or what you're talking about?

These are very good. The only thing I would like changed (and this is a personal preference of mine in general) is to get a letter (M) or letters (MU) on there instead of a logo.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I actually thought about the stripes forming an M, but it just wasn't working out. Is there any way you can post a pic of the floor or what you're talking about?

If you go to the new Packer uniform design concept HERE, you'll see that the batwings and the collar sort of combine to form an M if they're the same color. That's what I had in mind. You could achieve the same effect by rotating the shoulder stripes 90 degrees.

There is a team that has this kind of design, but of course I can't recall which team.

The Milwaukee Arena floor, incidentally, was designed by an artist named, interestingly, Robert Indiana. If you were looking from the end zone at the closest half of the court to you, there was a big M painted on the floor formed by the free throw lane at the bottom and the center circle at the top (framed in a diamond shape onto the other half of the floor). Imagine an M with an upside-down M on top of it, and that's what it looked like.

Packers-2.png

Normally, I loathe anything associated with Marquette (Go UWM Panthers!), but I'm going to forget about it for the minute or so it will take me to type this.

I really like your concept overall, the only thing that's really holding it back is the number font you used. Try finding a font similar to the MU wordmark, I think it would look very sharp. Great use of the shoulder pattern and piping on the pants, very sleek and modern.

Whew, that was fun, now I can go back to hating Marquette :devil:

QPR%20Sig.png

• 11 months later...

Sean. I love this striping. I've used it before myself. The only thing I would change is actually a technical thing. It looks like you were using the outline function on the numbers. Its more effective to make a copy of the numbers, and use the Paste Below option and use the outline function on the lower layer. When you use the outline on the solid number it looks muddled, there isn't enough white. Try it, you will notice a difference.

As someone who actually played football for Marquette, I can tell you I love this concept and think it is very sharp.

Biggest reason MU won't ever get football back is they are a campus located in an urban setting and don't want to be responsible for 100 extra aggressive athletes running around down there. That is right from an administrator's mouth, albeit about 15 years ago.

When I played, we had the warrior logo on the helmet, with blue jerseys, gold numbers and pants, along with a Navy helmet and gold facemask. You can check out the current uniforms at marquetteclubfootball.com.

Archived