NL:Rewind To The Past Redesign Contest

ColtzFan101

I'd participate in this contest, but it seems doomed.

expand on that please...why is it doomed? if you want to submit something, submit something, if not, then don't...but why is it doomed?

I think the man wants a little clarification from Coltz as to what exactly we're gonna be doing with this, and none has been forthcoming...that and kinda sidestepping a pretty legit query from rmered doesn't help matters either.

The kid's got a good idea...executing it is a totally different story.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well then, to heck with the "rules." We don't need no stinkin' rules!

I say this is an "update an old NNL franchise as if the negro teams had somehow survived into the modern era, sort of like how there are still 'traditionally black' colleges and the BET network" contest. So there.

Plus, I've had this idea kicking around for a while anyway, and this "contest" is as good an excuse as any to finish it up and put it out there for criticism and ridicule. But before we get to the pictures, here's a little explanation of the concept:

Washington Potomacs

It was the era of P-Funk's Chocolate City, of Sweet Sweetback and Shaft, and a last hurrah for feel-good patriotism in a country where freedom had been on a generation-long advance and black pride was a power in the land. It was the mid-1970s. Like many businesses and athletic teams, the long-struggling Washington Potomacs of the traditionally black NNL changed their look to honor America's Bicentennial.

And suddenly George Clinton and Chuck Brown weren't the only black performers getting it on in the nation's capital. Decked in bright, even garish polyester uniforms that resembled nothing so much as a Blaxploitation movie poster redrawn by a graffiti artist, the Potomacs made a late run at the pennant, falling only a game and a half short in 1976, and then went on to dominate the league, winning five straight titles from 1977-81, winning three Negro World Series along the way.

So even as the team has muted its colors and stepped back from some of the loudest excesses of its late-1970s look, it has kept the basic shapes of its Bicentennial-era championship identity. After flirting with combinations of oranges and hot pinks, by the mid-1980s the franchise had returned to its traditional colors of blue and brown, with highlights of red lingering from the championship years.

The funk-era lettering stayed, reworked in the team's more sedate colors. The early 1990s saw a move to brown pinstripes, which lasted only two seasons on home uniforms that never caught on with fans but remain the team's signature road uniform. There's just something about pinstripes that go with DC, easily the most overdressed city in North America.

As an urban team, the Potomacs have long favored a DC logo on their caps, though with the advent of contemporary merchandising strategies the franchise settled on home caps with an iconic funky W and road caps with the team's late-1940s DC logo. The brown "Washington DC" BP shirts were first worn in 2002 and soon became a citywide fashion phenomenon, prompting the Post to declare, "Brown is the New Black," albeit about six months after the trend had peaked. Marion Barry successfully resurrected his political career in 2004 wearing a brown Potomacs shirt throughout his campaign for the Ward 8 District Council seat.

The Logos

potomacs-logos.png

Home Unis

potomacs-homeunis.png

Road Unis

potomacs-roadunis.png

Batting Practice

potomacs-bpunis.png

20082614447.png

Well then, to heck with the "rules." We don't need no stinkin' rules!

I say this is an "update an old NNL franchise as if the negro teams had somehow survived into the modern era, sort of like how there are still 'traditionally black' colleges and the BET network" contest. So there.

You are correct sir.

manning2.gif

BUSCH STADIUM III IS COMING,ARE YOU READY?

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS (12-4-0) NEXT GAME VS KANSAS CITY

TB LIGHTNING (19-20-2) NEXT GAME @ COLORADO

ATLANTA THRASHERS(24-12-6) NEXT GAME VS PHOENIX

COLTS BACK TO BACK PLAYOFF APPEARANCES 05-06/06-07

Basically the contest is what ballwonk said and all the requirements are on the first page with optionals. Just follow that and do your own thing with it. What do you think any of these teams jerseys would look like today, with our advances in logos of course.

manning2.gif

BUSCH STADIUM III IS COMING,ARE YOU READY?

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS (12-4-0) NEXT GAME VS KANSAS CITY

TB LIGHTNING (19-20-2) NEXT GAME @ COLORADO

ATLANTA THRASHERS(24-12-6) NEXT GAME VS PHOENIX

COLTS BACK TO BACK PLAYOFF APPEARANCES 05-06/06-07

[quote name=rmered' date='Wednesday, November 16th, 2005 -

Now Rob, will you explain this beauty from Men at Work? :P

Travelling in a fried-out combie

On a hippie trail, head full of zombie

Easy.

A Kombi was a van made by Volkswagon you could fit a mattress in, and therefore live out of.

kombi%20vermelha%2003.jpg

If it was Fried out, it would mean the engine was faulty.

A hippie trail is a suggested travel itinerary, taking in places regarded for their free-lovin' nature.

To have a head full of zombie would indicate the presence of hallucinogenic pharmaceuticals.

So to translate:

Travelling in a broken down RV

Around parts of the world known for their liberal attitudes, high on drugs.

PS

And I still don't know whether to do a new uniform & logo or an old uniform and logo.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

PS

And I still don't know whether to do a new uniform & logo or an old uniform and logo.

Excellent explanation.

As for the contest, I think you can safely follow Ballwonk's lead and do a new uniform and logo for an old team. Feel free to also include an interesting back story as well (though you will be hard pressed to top Ballwonk on that). In fact, maybe that should be part of the contest. :P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Anyone notice in the subtitle that he wrote "A C&C Approved Title"...

Does Creamer have an ampersand for a middle initial nowadays? Silly Canadians...

No, it just indicates that the contest was approved by the Music Factory. This is, after all, the contest that makes you go, Hmmmm.

20082614447.png

Anyone notice in the subtitle that he wrote "A C&C Approved Title"...

Does Creamer have an ampersand for a middle initial nowadays? Silly Canadians...

No, it just indicates that the contest was approved by the Music Factory. This is, after all, the contest that makes you go, Hmmmm.

LOL :D

Here's my entry, and my first logo and uniform concept in months. Even though it doesn't look like this contest will get off the ground, I decided to enter (hey...if only the two of us throw in our designs, I'm garunteed at least a silver :D ). Anyway, my backstory can't compare with ballwonks. Basically, I just modernized their origional look. Gone are the giant KC jerseys and hats (the ones with one letter on each side of the jersey), but I left the red sleeves and piping. Anyway, here it is: my Kansas City Monarchs concept.

monarchscopy.jpg

Archived