Great Lakes Indoor Football League

Gamingboy

Actually, if you look on a couple of the teams' sites, notably the NY/NJ team, there's a partner logo on the lower left that one of the designers here uses. So, I presume that means the logos weren't stolen, but rather commissioned.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Yes, I did 5 out of the 6 logos for the GLIFL.

Skye Designs did the Lehigh Valley Outlawz, which I like very much.

They were all done with fairly strict guidelines from each owner, (except for Port Huron) so if you have a problem with any of them, take it up with the pwners. I did the best I could given the parameters I had to work with.

And, unfortunately, those of you that have had to experience working with tough clients, you know what I'm talking about. :evil:

Bash them if you want, just give me some good reasons and critiques so I'll know what I need to improve upon in the future.

Thank you.

While being bored, I came across the website of the Great Lakes Indoor Football League

It has logos. And all I'm going to say is that at least they aren't the ABA. But they're still rather unimaginative or look like glorified clip art. They can all be seen here.

I actually really dig the Lehigh Valley Outlaw logo. The name/city mix don't mesh but the logo owns.

They were all done with fairly strict guidelines from each owner, (except for Port Huron)

thats kind of funny because as I was looking at the logos that one stuck out as my favorite and most creative. maybe the owners should just let you do your work ^_^

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

Yes, I did 5 out of the 6 logos for the GLIFL.

Skye Designs did the Lehigh Valley Outlawz, which I like very much.

They were all done with fairly strict guidelines from each owner, (except for Port Huron) so if you have a problem with any of them, take it up with the pwners. I did the best I could given the parameters I had to work with.

And, unfortunately, those of you that have had to experience working with tough clients, you know what I'm talking about. :evil:

Bash them if you want, just give me some good reasons and critiques so I'll know what I need to improve upon in the future.

Thank you.

I'll give you my honest opinion using my design knowledge/experience:

Battle Creek Crunch:

I don't think I've ever seen a tiger represented like that, but it works due to the fact that I would guess they are trying to make a play on the Tony the Tiger character. Isn't Battle Creek home of Kellogg's? I love the font design and claw marks. For some reason the tiger's nose deosn't look like it fits his face. Am I seeing the laces of the ball on his head? If so that is a nice subtle touch. All in all, I think it can be marketetable, and works. Can it be better? Yes, but I don't know your guidelines.

Marion Mayhem:

Once again, you have a way of choosing a font design that works. My guess is that you are starting with a font idea in your head and working backwards on this logo. I like the idea of the two football players, I just wonder if they would have lloked better more simplified, even silhoutted to give more attention to the "mayhem" inspired font. Must have been a tough logo to do huh? I think for what you may have had to deal with, you proabably scored on this one.

Lehigh Valley Outlawz:

I think yet again you nailed the font design. GREAT JOB! (You must be great with corporate identity logo designs. You know, companies that need a logo that is mostly text.)

The only little nit pick I have is the fact that the logo is a little hard to recognize at first. Its dynamic and shows movement, which is fantastic, but its hard to distinguish from the hankerchief around the face, from the hat, gloves, etc. Did you try a black hat with red outfit, black gloves combo? This is a logo that if they would have allowed a fourth color would have been perfect. I still love it though, and think its a touchdown.

Port Huron Pirates:

I have to say this one works in all ways. I love the font/letters as bones (nice touch!) The dynamic sweeping arm is perfect. Face is simple, subtle, and works well. The only thing I'd suggest is to accentuate the wave of water just a bit more. (i.e. a little more wave shape or even a little more purple highlight. I know that you wanted the focus the viewer's eyes on the bright purple pirate. But maybe a little bit more on the wave. I think I'm nit picking) GREAT LOGO!

Rochester Raiders:

Did you try making the flag bigger? It seems like you ended up not being able to decide if the buildings should be bigger or the flag bigger then made them equal. I think the thing would make this logo work would be deciding which one should be bigger. One suggestion would be to make the flag bigger and put the skyline as a silhouette in the background ala NY Mets.

NY-NJ Revolution:

I love the idea here. What surprises me is that for the first time, this is a logo where the font DOESN'T work for me. I would think that an all capital and bold typeface is key here. Maybe one that would resemble an old stone wall. I also don't think the coat and hair should both be gray. Did you try using Blue for he coat. It is also hard to distinguish the left arm holding the sword. To be honest I don't have any suggestions, its tough predicament.

Hopefully that helps. Please don't take any criticism as negative. All design criticism (As long as it is based on design principles) is meant to improve not degrade. But, it sounds like you are a design professional, which tells me that your skin is thick enough. GREAT WORK ALL TOGETHER! It must have been a tough project!

-Surge

I saw them. I especially like my hometown Rochester Raiders. The skyline representation is classy and a good idea.

Good job. These are definitely a million times better than the truly horrendous ABA logos.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Thanks for the wonderful critique powersurge.

And you're right, on the Mayhem one, the font was the only thing that was a strong point from the get-go. We didn't want it to be a logo that looked like it had been done before, and this idea was presented, so I tried to work with what was being laid out to me by the owner.

And the Rochester one, all I can really say is I'm glad it turned out as well as it did. I presented a couple of more uniqie ideas/variations with it, but the "Oakland Raider-look" was the only thing the owner wanted to see. With that being said, it could have been a lot worse, trust me.

Thanks for the wonderful critique powersurge.

And you're right, on the Mayhem one, the font was the only thing that was a strong point from the get-go. We didn't want it to be a logo that looked like it had been done before, and this idea was presented, so I tried to work with what was being laid out to me by the owner.

And the Rochester one, all I can really say is I'm glad it turned out as well as it did. I presented a couple of more uniqie ideas/variations with it, but the "Oakland Raider-look" was the only thing the owner wanted to see. With that being said, it could have been a lot worse, trust me.

You obviously do great work. Its not easy to design a logo PERIOD. To have demanding clients with restrictions makes it damn near impossible at times, so I applaud your work and effort.

I understand now about the Raider's logo. Too bad, your other idea was probably a winner huh?

What other types of work do you do?

Archived