NFL Summer League

Discrim

I got the idea a little while ago, and I said I'd start a project so here it is. Basically, makin the preseason a little more interesting by treating it like baseball's spring training, though Summer League has a better ring to it than Summer Training. I've divided the NFL into 8 4-team "leagues," designated a host team, and given each league a fancy name. Each league has 2 teams from the AFC, 2 from the NFC and none are from the same divsion. To make it complete, each team will get a special uniform for the summer, a nod to wearing BP jerseys for spring training games (and also to some minor league hockey teams' wearing warmup jerseys). Here are the leagues, and the links to each uniform will be updated accordingly!

Cheese League-Green Bay, Wisconsin

host: Packers

Chiefs

Saints

Jaguars

Sun League-Phoenix area, Arizona

host: Cardinals

Cowboys

Ravens

Dolphins

Rocky Mountain League-Denver area, Colorado

host: Broncos

Colts

Seahawks

Panthers

Midway League-Chicago area, Illinois

host: Bears

Rams

Steelers

Bills

City League-New York area

co-host: Giants

co-host: Jets

Texans

Falcons

Golden Gate League-San Francisco and Oakland

co-host: 49ers

co-host: Raiders

Lions

Titans

Capital Conference-Washington DC area

host: Redskins

Vikings

Bengals

Patriots

Ohio League-alternating between Cincinnati and Cleveland areas...this year: Cleveland area

host: Browns

Chargers

Bucs

Eagles

enjoy, fellas. B) ah, if only it were summer.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you'd already seen the Packers, and it's linked to.

now, I introduce the Cardinals!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/Disc...CardsSummer.png

I got the idea for the yoke striping from Pantone's alternate logos, hence the black sleeves. I took the pants stripe from there as well.

2016cubscreamsig.png

At first glance, I thought that Packers concept was out there, I mean out there. I mean, a hockey template on a football jersey? It would NEVER work. Then, I put into my mind an image of a player wearing that jersey with full pads on. And suprisingly, it works. So Discrim, once again, I salute u because dammit that was ingenious.

While I'm not sold on the idea of the league concept, because football can and in most cases does train relatively close to their home cities. I love the pre season jersey idea. It is such a great idea it's a wonder it hasn't been done yet. The marketing possibilities are endless. They could change every year. I'm really looking forward to your upcoming designs.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

While I'm not sold on the idea of the league concept, because football can and in most cases does train relatively close to their home cities. I love the pre season jersey idea. It is such a great idea it's a wonder it hasn't been done yet. The marketing possibilities are endless. They could change every year. I'm really looking forward to your upcoming designs.

heh, they probably could...I remember ManUre had a special shirt worn for some exhibition games in the US, and shoot, this practice is common in Australian football's* preseason tournament-a club might roll out a new jumper* design for the preseason and then save their traditional look for the regular season. I recall a couple clubs' preseason garb departing from their normal colors for sponsorship purposes (Western Bulldogs, Richmond, and the Kangas come to mind). A few preseason designs proved to be so popular the club adopted them for season use, usually as the away jumper (though a St. Kilda jumper with a cross on front managed to replace the traditional jumper for about 5-6 years)

*Australian football: one of the five (or seven, depending on how you look at it) forms of football in existence...primarily played in (you guessed it) Australia, hence its name. Also known as Aussie rules, footy, or AFL. Aussie rules' top league is the Australian Football League. If you wanna know more, put Google to use ;)

*jumper: used in Aussie rules to mean a player's jersey. also sometimes called a guernsey. for the history of VFL/AFL jumpers, go to http://www.footyjumpers.com

2016cubscreamsig.png

here we go with the next two...the Saints and the Bears

first, the Saints

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/Disc...aintsSummer.png

I only plan on making one jersey per team (only making two if I can't avoid it), and since I already have the Pack in gold, the Saints will be in white (the Chiefs will be in red, and the Jags are gonna sport teal). the sleeves are inspired by the fleur de lis, as you can see.

then, the Bears

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/Disc...BearsSummer.png

I thought about various sleeve striping methods before just going with the regular stripes. hell, apart from the big V, this is the same as their regular duds. the V was inspired by a similar V used by some of the clubs in Australia's National Rugby League, and is a nod to the rugby-style uniforms the Bears wore in their early days.

2016cubscreamsig.png

Interesting. That Bears' concept is almost too sedate to be here with the others. My favorite so far is the Saints. It shouldn't be a problem keeping it to 1 white jersey per division as long as the divisions don't play each other in your proposed summer league. But if I were on a team that wore black, I'd be pissed if my squad had to wear black while the other guys stayed cool in white. Maybe every team should wear their lightest primary color, or maybe use gray for a few teams to solve the problem. Or stripes would be different enough to set some teams apart.

Can't wait for the rest.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Interesting. That Bears' concept is almost too sedate to be here with the others. My favorite so far is the Saints. It shouldn't be a problem keeping it to 1 white jersey per division as long as the divisions don't play each other in your proposed summer league. But if I were on a team that wore black, I'd be pissed if my squad had to wear black while the other guys stayed cool in white. Maybe every team should wear their lightest primary color, or maybe use gray for a few teams to solve the problem. Or stripes would be different enough to set some teams apart.

Can't wait for the rest.

that's more or less the plan...the teams would play each other in a round-robin style tournament, and then have a championship and 3rd place game in the last week of the preseason. think of it as a way to make the preseason a bit more interesting.

2016cubscreamsig.png

Mate, Just as we're getting ready for our preseason you're doing the NFL equivalent.

Fantastic.

I think I like the Bears best. The blue looks a little light, but the vee is great.

The whole thing, as you've mentioned, has an Aussie Rules experimental design thing about it.

And thanks for linking to my site, nice to see it's of some use.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Archived