Olympic hockey helmets

Mingjai

It seems that the Olympic hockey teams only have one set of helmets, unlike the NHL where teams have home/away sets. For example, regardless of jersey, the US wears white helmets, the Canadians black, the Swedes blue, the Russian red, the Czechs blue, the Finns blue, the Slovaks blue. Is this by IIHF mandate?

I say this because I think the US would look better with navy blue (or maybe even red) helmets, at least with their dark unis. The white with the all blue just isn't doing it for me.

5110202.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I think it completes the look... the look that is ugly and horrible for a hockey jersey set.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

Yeah, I noticed this too... the white helmets for USA's aways are particularly terrible looking. Any one else notice that none of the pants have any kind of striping either? The whole look is just very amateur / practice squad. Not suited for international level play.

While I agree with the assessment of the new Nike Swift uniforms, that still doesn't address the white helmet look. Even in recent World Championships and the 02 Olympics, the US still wore white helmets with the dark jerseys. The only exception I've found is the 2004 World Cup, which was run by the NHL and not the IIHF.

2002 Olympics

5084237_640X428.jpg

2005 IIHF World Championships

hall%20gill%20aaron%20miller%2004%20mwc%20v%20czech%20800.gif

2004 World Cup

tkachuk_hit090304.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Yeah, I noticed this too... the white helmets for USA's aways are particularly terrible looking. Any one else notice that none of the pants have any kind of striping either? The whole look is just very amateur / practice squad. Not suited for international level play.

No they do. It's verticle on the front.

I think the navy helmet would be better for the USA. Did anyone see the little feature showing the Nike people heat-sealing on the "C" on Chelios' jersey? It looked like something you'd have done at your local mall or ice rink pro shop. How bogus!

Don't you think the USA numbers should have a red outline? Aren't Canada's outlined?

Also, has anyone noticed the back of the players' socks? It looks like they have a similar "wavy" mesh insert like the sides of the jerseys do. By the way, those vertical sock stripes are a total waste. Thank God the Canadians still wear conventional-looking hose.

USA! USA! USA!

I don't know how long the one helmet thing has been going on, but I think as far back as the '92 olympics the US has been wearing the white helmet. Personally, I like one helmet for the olympic teams, it makes it the olympics for me. Though in the '96 World Cup of Hockey I found a pic of Tony Amonte with a blue helmet, and the Miracle on Ice they wore blue helmets.

i personally think team usa nailed the look in the 2002 olypics. i look at those uniforms and they are just a perfect balance of red and blue. as for the helmets yeah the white helmets with blue unis is dumb but i guess they figure there is no need for two helmets for a two week tournament.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

I think the navy helmet would be better for the USA. Did anyone see the little feature showing the Nike people heat-sealing on the "C" on Chelios' jersey? It looked like something you'd have done at your local mall or ice rink pro shop. How bogus!

Don't you think the USA numbers should have a red outline? Aren't Canada's outlined?

Also, has anyone noticed the back of the players' socks? It looks like they have a similar "wavy" mesh insert like the sides of the jerseys do. By the way, those vertical sock stripes are a total waste. Thank God the Canadians still wear conventional-looking hose.

USA! USA! USA!

The socks not only have a back insert, they have a few different sections. It looks like the knee is a circular piece sewn to the leg, with the stretchy mesh or whatever in the back. Kinda ridiculous for a frickin sock. What, conventional socks aren't swift enough? Blah. Also, can anyone confirm that all the numbers on the swift jerseys are screened on? I'm almost positive they are because of the shines I see on the dark numbers, but I guess they could be a really thin fabric. I think screenignt he numbers on just lookd really cheap, but I know they're going for light weight everything.

Archived