Charlotte 49ers Football

sc49erfan15

Now that I figured out why Photobucket was wiggin' out, here's the next installment in the March mid-major madness, Charlotte.

CharlotteFootball3.png

As always, comments:

-I'm ambivalent to this one in a lot of ways. There were lots of directions I could have gone. I thought about a gold helmet, but went with green instead because gold actually isn't used very much. However, for a team called the "49ers," there HAS to be some gold...so I used it liberally. Just not on the helmet. (I don't know, it made sense to me.)

-I don't know if it's visible, but the "49ers" logo is on the home jersey, while the "C-harlotte" logo is on the road.

-Couldn't resist matching sock stripes. :D

-Black alternate not just for the sake of having black, but black is a school color and it plus, looked a hell of a lot better than A: gold or B: monochrome green.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. What do you guys think? C&C is always welcomed.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Nice to see the inclusion of sock stripes on a college football concept, you don't normally see that too often.

If I had to make any critiques, they'd be very nit-picky, and I just like this concept as a whole vs. the sum of its parts too much to do so.

QPR%20Sig.png

I like it. I think you use the colors in the right way, as apposed to the basketball team, whose away jerseys are green and black with no gold. I like the white on white better than the white on gold, but I if you have the gold pants then enventually the team will go with white on gold.

Good job, althought the gold numbers on the green jersey is sort of hard to read.

I'm not pressing you to do it, but it would be nice to see South Alabama and Arkansas-Little Rock concepts soon. Both institutions have nearby facilities that would hold Division 1-A programs.

Nice, but compared to some of the other ones in this series, it pales in comparison to Vermont and Marquette.

First the good stuff. You made the colors work really well - even the black, which was a fairly recent addition (I remember when they were just green and white). Love the choice of helmet logo - especially avoiding the "49ers" wordmark. Love the use of striping throughout - sleeves, pants and socks most of all. Like the lack of a metallic gold alt, and the lack of black pants.

My two cents, since you asked...

1. I'd go with the gold helmet. The green looks nice, but with a team named for a gold rush, gold isn't an irrational choice for a helmet color. And a few teams have gold pants and helmets and they look fine (ND, Saints, Niners, etc.)

2. For a school that was founded in 1946 (and didn't have a campus of its own until 1961), it's an awfully traditional look. Don't get me wrong, I love traditional appearances to uniforms. But this school's history dates back all of 60 years, so there's less tradition to forsake here.

3. Instead of block numbers, I'd try the font from the wordmark - though without bevels.

4. What did green jerseys/white pants look like? Would it look more palatable with gold helmets? What about white jerseys/green pants? I like the gold, and it could work for both the white and green jerseys (like the Packers do with their one pair of pants), and I hate monochromes (all-white and team-colored alike), but I was wondering about the other combos, short of monochrome.

Great stuff, as usual...

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Nice, but compared to some of the other ones in this series, it pales in comparison to Vermont and Marquette.

First the good stuff. You made the colors work really well - even the black, which was a fairly recent addition (I remember when they were just green and white). Love the choice of helmet logo - especially avoiding the "49ers" wordmark. Love the use of striping throughout - sleeves, pants and socks most of all. Like the lack of a metallic gold alt, and the lack of black pants.

My two cents, since you asked...

1. I'd go with the gold helmet. The green looks nice, but with a team named for a gold rush, gold isn't an irrational choice for a helmet color. And a few teams have gold pants and helmets and they look fine (ND, Saints, Niners, etc.)

2. For a school that was founded in 1946 (and didn't have a campus of its own until 1961), it's an awfully traditional look. Don't get me wrong, I love traditional appearances to uniforms. But this school's history dates back all of 60 years, so there's less tradition to forsake here.

3. Instead of block numbers, I'd try the font from the wordmark - though without bevels.

4. What did green jerseys/white pants look like? Would it look more palatable with gold helmets? What about white jerseys/green pants? I like the gold, and it could work for both the white and green jerseys (like the Packers do with their one pair of pants), and I hate monochromes (all-white and team-colored alike), but I was wondering about the other combos, short of monochrome.

Great stuff, as usual...

First of all, thanks a lot for the great C&C. And my two cents on your two cents:

1. I did try a gold helmet, and actually started out with a gold helmet, but it just didn't mesh as well with the helmet logo as I thought it would.

2. Yeah, it is pretty traditional. And something tells me that if UNC-...er...Charlotte does get football, it'll be something more modern - probably one of the Broncos-esque templates. I guess this project is part-realistic, part-hopeful. Don't want everybody running around in a Batwing template. :D

3. I tried that as well, various forms of Futura. The one closest to the wordmark (Futura-Thin) made a really pointy 4 when I added layers around it...like it was trying to slice the player's neck off. The other forms of Futura I tried started to look like the Steelers, and you couldn't tell it was the same font as the wordmark. I also tried an old-west style, but scrapped that pretty quickly. I'd have loved to use a more custom font, just couldn't find one that worked.

4. Green jerseys/white pants looked pretty good, and I almost used them as the alternate instead of the black jersey. Had to pick between one and the other, though, and black jersey prevailed. Now, white jerseys/green pants...didn't try that one. I just tried it, and it looks pretty nice. A little Kotite Jets-ish, but good. That might be one change I have to make. Just have to think of which pair of pants to get rid of...gold pants, white pants, green pants...this concept ain't big enough for the three of 'em. ^_^

Once again, thanks very much!

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived