Wichita State Football

sc49erfan15

After seeing the Wichita State-Seton Hall game before the Tennessee-Winthrop game on Thursday, and being quite impressed with this team, I decided to make them the next in the series. Wichita State is now my favorite team in the tourney, aka "Anybody who's playing Tennessee." Plus, how can you resist doing a concept for a team called the Shockers? :D

WichitaStateFootball2.png

Comments, as always:

-Like Seton Hall, Wichita State vectors do not exist. The only vector I could find was the "Wu-Shock" mascot, which isn't exactly a logo that fits on a sports uniform, but I found a place for him as a patch on the pants.

-There is also normally two wheat stalks above the "WSU" logo, but I had to get the logo off of a hat (which didn't have the wheat stalk) and vectorize it.

-The helmet stripe is meant to taper off, much like the sleeve stripes. It's also a small nod to the baseball team, who uses gold front panels on their caps. Speaking of sleeve stripes, I thought they'd go with something a little modern, but still tasteful. I wanted to use something other than a block font, and with the name "Shockers," even though it's not related to electricity (the name comes from "shocking" wheat), I liked the look of the Wild's number font. The helmet is also similar to what the football team last used when it was discontinued in 1986.

-The tertiary logo is what the baseball team uses on their caps, and I included it even though it went unused. The wordmark is something the basketball team has on the collar of their uniforms, and I duplicated that here.

-Yellow alternate, because there aren't too many yellow football jerseys (especially ones that look halfway decent *coughoregoncough*) and the basketball team has a yellow alt.

-And finally, the first person who guesses why I chose #20 for the uniform number gets, I dunno, 15,269 cool points.

C&C is always welcomed, thanks in advance guys!

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Wichita State is now my favorite team in the tourney, aka "Anybody who's playing Tennessee."

Ok that was a low blow

,but as far as the concept goes the only thing do different is the change the number from gold to black,but everything else looks great.

And the most importaint thing is that you didn't use that funky pipping or Broncon stripes in your concept. so on a scale from 1-10 i give it a 8.5. :D

I could say something about the nickname "Shockers", but there are young'ns here that won't get it :P

Anyways, I really like the simplicity of this concept. The number font really works well with the logo/nickname. On the road uniforms, I might try reversing the black and yellow for the numbers, it might make them read a bit better.

QPR%20Sig.png

As a Wichitan, love the concept for the football team. The number 20 stands for the amount of years it has been since WSu fielded a Football team

Thanks a lot for the comments, guys. I thought with the basketball team's win today, this might catch more than four comments, but I'll take what I can get. I'd also like to say, both positive and negative C&C are welcomed...if you think my concept sucks, tell me, but also tell me why.

And the 20 is, indeed, the number of years since Wichita State has fielded a team, but it's also something else. The "15,269" in my original post had a significance as well.

Yeah, BigMac, I agree that WSU would probably at least start out at the 1-AA level. There are other teams in the MVC that play football, and most (if not all) are in the Gateway conference, but since the MVC doesn't sponsor football, I didn't include a conference affiliation directly onto the jersey as I did with some previous concepts.

I must also say that I didn't intend for the yellow to be this bright. I made this concept at my house, where I have a different monitor, that for some reason distorts some colors. Now that I'm back at my dorm...dem bright. :blink:

Again, thanks to all who have commented so far.

since you mentioned it, although he didn't play for the Shockers, he is from Wichita. Some Sanders guy, Barry I think it was? :P

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

since you mentioned it, although he didn't play for the Shockers, he is from Wichita. Some Sanders guy, Barry I think it was? :P

Ding ding, we have a winner. :D

Makes for a good topic of alternate history...what if Barry had gone to Wichita State? Would WSU still be playing football now? Would Barry have turned out? Dun dun dunnn...

• 6 years later...

Obviously this is an old post...but I stumbled upon it and can't help but to comment.

I am a Wichita State fan. My dad took me to baseball games and basketball games growing up, he had season tickets. I'm not old enough to remember the football team, I was born in 86, but it is a fantasy if mine to have football back. I made them a team on my NCAA football.

Now if I were doing the uniforms I'd do:

-the W from the baseball hats rather than the wsu logo, although I do like that on the sleeve.

-home black helmet, yellow W

black jersey,

black pants.

-away white helmet, yellow W, black outline

white jersey

white pants

-alt. home black helmet

yellow jersey

black pants

-alt away black helmet

white jersey

black pants