UNC-Wilmington Football

sc49erfan15

No requests for this one in the Milwaukee thread, but here we have another school whose team was in the Big Dance but doesn't have football: UNC-Wilmington.

*ahem*

UNCWFootball1.png

- :D ...I'm not gonna lie, I went nuts. I really like UNCW's color scheme, but not so much the logo...which is why the soaring seahawk is on the helmet instead.

-Yep...that's four jerseys we got there. It was originally only three, but I decided to go crazy with another sand-colored jersey.

-The wave pattern...I dunno, I just went with it. I'm guessing it's going to be one of the "some people hate it, some love it" deals.

Positive and negative C&C is always encouraged, just throw some suggestions in there if you don't like it. And there's a reason I picked this number, as well...first person to get it wins a lobster or something.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Yes, UNCW does have an interesting color scheme. I think you did the best you could with it, but I almost would have preferred to see white pants with the home uniform. I think the striping pattern (which was an interesting interpretation BTW) would pop against a white background better than it would the yellow.

As for the reason you picked #23, does it have something to do with Michael Jordan growing up in Wilmington (and attending H.S. there)?

QPR%20Sig.png

Once again a great concept! I agree with moser that white pants could work on the home jersey. I think the only Big Dance/No football teams you have not done are Oral Roberts, Gonzaga, Belmont, and South Alabama. It would be interesting to see what you could do with the rest of the teams.

Once again, great job on this. For the waves, maybe try having just one bigger one instead of three, and center it so half is on the jersey and half is on the pants. But regardless, this is A1.

it looks real nice, but i am having trouble seeing a school actually use these on the field. i know the idea is to make jerseys for teams without football teams, but i think these wouldnt translate well onto a real jersey. the yellow (i know you didnt pick it, they did) is way too much for pants and an alternate jersey. i like it used as stripes or outlines, but not as a major part of the uni. i cant relate to this concept as much as your others, but it still looks great. i liked the number font at first but the more i look at it, the more i dislike those little extra top serifs. they throw it off. on the home alt, the waves look wierd because it is blue on blue. this was probably done so they didnt have 3 pant sets, but this concept isnt real anyway, i'd like to see you make the waves green.

I like this concept, waves and all.

I can't say I am a fan of 4 jerseys for a small college's football team (even if it exists only in our minds, it's a financial drain... :rolleyes:), and if I had a choice I'd dump the light yellow/sand color. Then again, I am a fan of green and blue.

My only gripe is the helmet. The soaring white seahawk looks to tranquil and sedate for a football helmet. I don't like the totem pole lookalike either, but I don't think the bird you used is the answer. This may be one case where lettering would work better - a vertical arched "UNCW" in the same way UNLV and TCU decorate their helmets.

Moser can have my lobster (I'm not all that crazy about it), but I had that one. Can I get a pound of Kinston-style barbecue and some hush puppies instead? I dated a girl in college who went to Laney High (as did her mother; Mom was pre-MJ, and she was post-MJ. Oh well - my initials are MJ, so I've got that going for me...).

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

This is probably one of your best concepts. No offense to your other ones. The eagle on the helmet is better than the seahawk head. I like four uniforms, but it probably would not happen for a small college. The stipes on the sides are odd, but the given the jersey oringinality.

DRew

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

i'd like to critique these as a uncw grad (and someone who wishes they HAD a football team)

1 - you're right...the primary logo is one of the worst in division 1 - i actually did a redesign of a logo for them that i'm quite proud of...i don't want to hijack this thread, so i won't post it, but it's not that far back in my posts if you want to see it

2 - i love the wave/stripe concept and i think it really works well for uncw...they use a wave in their print and web marketing campaigns, so it reinforces their marketing, in a way...i'm not sure about 3 of them, as someone else pointed out, but i think one would work...i like that idea so much i used it on my wilmington whitesides fantasy football concept a few weeks back - they have a bit of a wave pattern in the hoops uniforms they wore against gw, but i can't put my hands on any photos...if memory serves me correct, there was a teal and white "wave" on the side of the shorts and also under the arm pit on the side of the jersey

3 - all the dark green has got to go, especially on the helmets - uncw's official colors are butter (yellow), navy and teal...maybe it's my monitor, but what should be teal looks very green to me

4 - you've used much more yellow than uncw uses for any of their uniforms - navy, teal and white are the primary colors used...yellow is occasionally used as an accent color, but even then, it's rare - in fact, i can't remember ever seeing yellow in any uncw uniform except on the logo (and yellow golf shirts for the golf teams)

5 - the academic logo you've chosen does make a better helmet logo than the primary (almost anything would), but i'm not sure about the white application on the teal helmet...i've dropped it as-is on a white helmet in the past and been quite pleased with it - i also don't think there is any chance that they'd use a teal helmet, either - navy is very likely, but teal...not so much

overall i think this is great work - from a creativity standpoint i think it's the best you've done in this series, but i don't think that anything that you've done is realistic for uncw, especially given the way the rest of their uniforms look - keep up the great work!

jldesigns404eo.png

II don't like the totem pole lookalike either

vitaminD - you probably knew this, but that's actually the number 1

Yeah, I knew that. But it looks more like a totem pole to me, the same way the LA Kings' "1" when they first started wearing their current sweaters looked like tomahawks before they modified them.

We're # [totem pole]!!! :rolleyes:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I think the only Big Dance/No football teams you have not done are Oral Roberts, Gonzaga, Belmont, and South Alabama.

I think he's done gonzaga b4. I'm not really sure but i remember seeing a gonzaga concept with this template so i'm thinking 49erfan made it.

As for the concept i agree with leggman that some blue/teal should be added because i was lookin at this concept and then their BBALL jerseys and i think it could use more blue. But besides that the whole wave thing looks great.

Archived