Unusual Univ. of New Orleans baseball jerseys...

B-Rich

Last night, as I was watching the evening news, there was a recap of the U.N.O. - Loyola baseball game. The Privateers were wearing a very unusual jeresy I've never seen-- a script "N'Awlins" across the chest, underlined Dodger-style.

I tried to find a decent photo showing the design, but this is the best I could come up with:

bowser.jpg

"N'Awlins", of course, is a generally accepted way of spelling how "New Orleans" is pronounced by many locals (from what I understand, it's similar to Baltimoreans referring to their town as "Bawlmer" or "Bawlmar". To put it on the University of New Orleans' jerseys is certainly original, unusual and kind of cool.

Like most city-named universities (Miami, Pittsburgh, Memphis, etc.) UNO often wears jerseys that just read the city name, rather than "U.N.O." or "University of New Orleans". And their baseball caps feature just an interlocking "NO" rather then "U.N.O.". However, EVERYONE locally refers to the school simply as "U.N.O."

It is what it is.

from what I understand, it's similar to Baltimoreans referring to their town as "Bawlmer" or "Bawlmar".

For what it's worth, I've never seen it spelled "Bawlmar." It's always been "Bawlmer", hon. :D

As for these uniforms, that is an interesting idea. I don't think I've ever heard of a similar scenario elsewhere.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

It almost looks like they're using the 1992-2004 Montreal Expos template (royal blue pinstripes, blue script with red trim, serifed Varsity Block numbers), it works really well for them. Hopefully they'll have a better pic of the jersey front later in the season...

QPR%20Sig.png

Louisiana has a thing for unusual jerseys ... Tulane and Louisiana Tech using the Astros' Ultra Stripe in the 70s, Tulane's "two waves on a bat" design two years ago, the New Orleans Zephyrs' use of the Astros replicas a coupla years ago.

Wonder if you can get one of these at UNO's bookstore?

Archived