Seeing red in Washington...

NDwas

The Nats' unveiled their new red alts today against the Mets. The result? Three two-out home runs in the top of the first for the Queens Queens. And a 7-2 New York lead going into the bottom of the 5th.

DSC02701.jpg

I also noticed a photographer wearing an awesome hat - sort of a different take on the 'DC' hats........a 'W. Ooooh. ' B)

(sorry for the big head)

DSC02685_1.jpg

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have a picture, but I noticed that Frank Robinson was wearing a jersey. Whenever I've seen him manage, he's always worn a jacket. Anyone know why he's just wearing a jersey?

I don't have a picture, but I noticed that Frank Robinson was wearing a jersey. Whenever I've seen him manage, he's always worn a jacket. Anyone know why he's just wearing a jersey?

What are you talking about? Every manager of every team in every league wears a uniform. And almost every other manager in baseball wears a jacket over their jersey.

And besides, it's too hot to be wearing a jacket - it's almost 85 degrees on the field today. And the Nats' lost 13-4. :cry:

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

What are you talking about? Every manager of every team in every league wears a uniform. And almost every other manager in baseball wears a jacket over their jersey.

And besides, it's too hot to be wearing a jacket - it's almost 85 degrees on the field today. And the Nats' lost 13-4. :cry:

Nah, Frank often wears a short-sleeved windshirt (looks like the official pull-over windbreaker with the arms cut off) instead of the team's official jersey.

Assuming he's breaking some manager-in-uniform rule, who exactly is going to be the umpire who tells Frank Robinson to change his shirt? Even if you put aside the whole living legend, Hall of Famer, black sporting pioneer, one of the greatest ballplayers of all time thing, and even if you also put aside the fact that he's like 103 years old and you're supposed to cut old folks a little slack, and even if you further put aside his Presidential Medal of Freedom, there's the fact that until a couple of years ago he was boss of the umpires. That's a lot of stuff to put aside just to tell an old man to change his shirt.

So Frank wears his little short-sleeved jacket thingy instead of his uniform jersey just about all the time.

But to the point: That W is suh-wee-heet. Is it some kind of sample? A prototype? An accidental preview, or a glimpse of what might have been? The mere glimpse of that W cap has erased 18 months of the pretzel-W growing on me to the point that I almost like it. One glimpse of that photo and I'm back to my raging, Guillen-like hatred of the pretzel-W.

20082614447.png

Not true. John Gibbons never wears a Jays jersey he wears a workout thing...I saw in a article on TSN or Sportsnet that its called a "shell." Looks like a pullover type of thing.

SignatureNHL.png

"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"

I really like the hat, and then the jersey...just not together. It seems beyond me why they would not change any of them to blue, the red is so overbearing. I also do not like the patch on them, as it seems to be a bit of a DC logo overload, and it seems pointless to put the script W in the center of the patch.

If the Nats really wanted a cool alternate they would have made either the hat or the jersey blue. That would look fresh.

On another note, I think that the Nats should just drop the script W all together, they are not the Senators, and the DC logo is one of the best in baseball for both its blend of traditionalism and moderness.

DSC02701.jpg

I dont like that patch on those jerseys.

I agree. I love that patch on the home and road jerseys, but it sucks on this one.

Hat - DC

Chest - DC

Sleeve - DC

Wait, where do they play agian?

They should put a patch from last year, or a W inside the circle patch. As it is now, it doesn't look good.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I also noticed a photographer wearing an awesome hat - sort of a different take on the 'DC' hats........a 'W. Ooooh. ' B)

(sorry for the big head)

DSC02685_1.jpg

I love that cap. Very cool, and much better than the mismatched Walgreens W.

That is an old Senators hat. Love it.

I'm not so sure it is a Cooperstown Collection one. Perhaps one of those Nike caps with the cobbled-together logos (such as the Arizona cap with the flowing A as is found on the road jersey, or the DB made from the snakes)?

1_640.jpg

(sorry for the big head)

DSC02685_1.jpg

I love that cap. Very cool, and much better than the mismatched Walgreens W.

That is an old Senators hat. Love it.

That is NOT an old Senators hat. The W is gold, white and red, the National's colors. It appears to be a custom job.

Assuming he's breaking some manager-in-uniform rule, who exactly is going to be the umpire who tells Frank Robinson to change his shirt? Even if you put aside the whole living legend, Hall of Famer, black sporting pioneer, one of the greatest ballplayers of all time thing, and even if you also put aside the fact that he's like 103 years old and you're supposed to cut old folks a little slack, and even if you further put aside his Presidential Medal of Freedom, there's the fact that until a couple of years ago he was boss of the umpires. That's a lot of stuff to put aside just to tell an old man to change his shirt.

Every umpire should tell him to change his shirt, if it violates the rules. It doesn't matter if he runs the league, umpires, bat boys, peanut vendors, whatever. He is not above the game, nor should he use his position to intimidate or influence any umpires. And I think that was proven by his many ejections last season.

That's not to say that Robinson does any of those things, it's just a list of examples. I haven't read anything or seen anything to warrant feelings of Robinson being above the game.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived