San Diego Chargers Concept...

ColeJ

i've been working on this concept for a little while now... tweaking things and changing color tones and striping ideas...

well today, i think i came to a decision about what it should look like, and here it is...

it's far from my normal traditional designs, so i'm calling it experimental... the pants are especially experimental, but hey.. it's the chargers. they're the ones who decided that putting lightning bolts on their helmets, jerseys, AND pants would be a great idea. so maybe they can pull it off.

starting off with the home uniforms.

sd-home.png

and now on to the road set up.

sd-road.png

and finally, the darker navy blue alternates.

sd-third.png

it was a real bitch trying to come up with a modern design, and having it line up correctly with the pants, while at the same time not having 5 pairs of pants that can only be worn with 1 jersey each. i think i came to a happy medium...

as always with my concepts with multiple pants, the pants that are closest to the jersey are the primary pants. the pants on the right are alternate pants, for a change of pace.... also, i wouldn't be against the powder blue pants going with the navy jersey once in a while... the navy jersey actually looks good with all the pants, imo.

i sketched these out earlier, with a head-to-toe model, to see how things would look as a whole, and i think it looked great... but since i'm not the greatest with illustrator, i'm not going to attempt these on the 3d template. if anyone else wants to, feel free...

and yes, that is the padres font... and no, it's not just because they're both in san diego.. .i just love that font :) and i didn't want to use block numbers on this design.

also, i originally wanted to go with a darker sandy gold color instead of yellow... but scrapped it for multiple reasons... it was even going to have a gold helmet at one point... but it ended up looking too drab, dull, and depressing for a team named chargers, with electrical bolts all over the uniforms... also, even with the addition of powder blue to the scheme, it started to look a lot like the rams... and that wasn't what i was going for in the slightest.

so, comments? suggestions? critiques?

i don't want to make this into a poll like my last one (vikes), because i don't want to bug everyone that's already seen it by it popping back up on the front page every week, when someone new discovers it. lol. so i'd appreciate feedback in typographical form, rather than ballot box form :)

I still don't like powder blue when it comes to the Chargers. But what you've worked out is a good enough compromise, I guess. The basic design of this set would definitely be a step forward from what they currently wear, and there seems to be more of a dynamic quality to them that the current set lacks. Good job all around, but if it were me, I'd be using the dark blue jersey as the primary.

QPR%20Sig.png

I like the bolt on the pants. It looks really sharp.

I don't know about the 2 tone home uniform. To me something about it doesn't look right. I can't pinpoint what that is though

I still don't like powder blue when it comes to the Chargers.  But what you've worked out is a good enough compromise, I guess.  The basic design of this set would definitely be a step forward from what they currently wear, and there seems to be more of a dynamic quality to them that the current set lacks.  Good job all around, but if it were me, I'd be using the dark blue jersey as the primary.

i appreciate the compliments about it being more dynamic. rarely are my designs "dynamic" :)

but i didn't think anyone actually had a problem with the team wearing the color of powder blue. i thought the anti-powder blue thing was simply anti-retro...

and i don't think there's anything retro about my concept.

i guess i'm just misunderstanding the anti-powder-blue argument.

-edit- also, the pants design isn't too "out-there" is it? that's actually what i'm looking forward to feedback on the most.

-edit- also, the pants design isn't too "out-there" is it? that's actually what i'm looking forward to feedback on the most.

with the way some pants like the Falcons, Bengals, Cards, and Vikes have now these would fit in while keeping the bolt on them

im not sure if i care for the powder blue, im not a big fan of that color to begin with.

on the other hand im not sure what other color would go with htis other than powder blue. if you sub powder blue with navy then it becomes navy over kill and theres not really another color that accents the navy on the concept as good as the powder blue. so the color scheme is probably the most logical.

however i do like the concept as a whole, its new and innovative with out being a monstrocity. I really like the pants especially since the bolt wave motion.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

alright... so i ended up working them onto a full-body "3d" template... this gives you a better idea as to how it would look on the field.

i decided while i was working on that, i might as well show every possible combo, since it's just a matter of using the magic wand fill tool :) so here's how it turned out.

every possible home combo:

sd-homecombos.png

every possible road combo:

sd-roadcombos.png

every possible alternate combo:

sd-thirdcombos.png

i really like the pants, now that i see it 3d..... and i also sorta like the all-white, as well. which i didn't think i would.

You did a great job figuring out a way to make jersey side panels line up with pants (and even socks!). For that you deserve kudos. It's a shame the same can't be said for the folks who designed the new Vikings uniforms.

I really like these designs. The only think that I am not entirely sold on is the floating white bolt on the white pants. I don't really see how you could improve on it, though.

You did a great job figuring out a way to make jersey side panels line up with pants (and even socks!). For that you deserve kudos. It's a shame the same can't be said for the folks who designed the new Vikings uniforms.

I really like these designs. The only think that I am not entirely sold on is the floating white bolt on the white pants. I don't really see how you could improve on it, though.

making it all line up actually was a lot more difficult than you'd think. lol...

originally, i wanted to have no side panels... meaning the powder blue jersey would have yellow piping down the sides, but between the yellow would still be more baby blue... but then i didn't want to have yellow piping on the pants, because i wanted to do something special with the bolt... so then the little dip-down thing would have had to be baby blue, meaning that the white jersey and the navy jersey would either be inconsistent, or i'd be having pants that only go with 1 jersey.

-sigh-

but it worked out... i'm a freaking nerd for trying so hard, considering that i have zero history and zero future in professional design. :) i work at a damn police department, for god's sake... but i had fun.

and about the white bolt on the white pants... i tried every color you can imagine, but i didn't like it. i tried baby blue and navy blue, but those didn't look electric, because they are too dark... then i tried yellow, but it looked VERRRY retro... foutsy, even... i don't dislike the white bolt on white pants.. but it is the one problem with the concept that i'm not in love with.

Fan-frickin-tastic! :notworthy: The pants are perfect except the albino bolt, but not much you can do. The colors and the logo modifications with the baby blue is awesome. Totally better than anything I will ever do. And, as some have already said, much better than their currents. Keep on keepin'g on!

Twitter • Facebook • Instagram • LinkedIn • Tumblr

cole - i LOVE the combo of the powder and navy blue...i might be in the minority, but i love the chargers in powder blue and i really love their white helmet...wonder how that would look with this set?

anyway, you asked about the pants - i like the side panel above the bolt a lot, but i'm not sure the one below the bolt is necessary...i wonder if it would look better without it? - that's my ONLY critique of this set...i really like it!

jldesigns404eo.png

DAMN!!!! those are too good

man i would buy that entire set in a heartbeat!!!!

great job

You'd buy football pants?

he'd buy the ones i designed... they're that damn outstanding. they'd outsell the raiders replica jerseys.

you'd see people wearing them with polo shirts on casual friday at work.

Great job with these Cole. They're very modern (which works well for the Chargers) and they tie in the current threads and the throwback baby blues.

A yellow bolt on the white pants might look better. I'd also like to see what it would look like if you got rid of the spike on the pants below the bolt.

buffalo_sig.png

Archived