Providence Football

sc49erfan15

The inspiration for this football concept came, of all places, during my vacation last weekend. We were doing some shopping before we left, at one of the ginormous Myrtle Beach shopping complexes, when while wandering around a music/DVD/bookstore, I found a book about Providence College basketball. Being such a random book, loaded with pictures, and that it was only $4, I bought it...and since they have no football since 1941, they're perfect for this series.

ProvidenceFootball2.png

-Tinkered with the template a little, so the sleeves aren't as weird and so that one shoulder doesn't look like it's flat anymore. It looks a lot better, and it's easier to work with, as well. Thanks to whoever suggested that, I think it was Bucco B.

-I thought the shield/cross logo looked a lot better on the helmets than anything else. I also thought that "Providence" looks really good on the front, so I used it on all three jerseys. Numbers, again, intended to match the wordmark.

-The pants design is something borrowed from the basketball team. They seemed to dive into the "leg stripe" design on basketball shorts in 1994ish, and have had a few different uniforms featuring them, so I included some subtle stripes on the front of the pants.

-Throwback is a combination of several 50s-70s basketball styles. The Friars of the 50s and 60s wore sleeved (yeah...sleeved) basketball jerseys, and the early 60s unis had stripes similar to these. Perfect for a football uniform. Some 50s jerseys had silver and black drop-shadowed numbers, so I used those. And the PC on the helmet is something that was used for a lot of warm-ups, but most evident in the 70s.

-Oh yeah, and mad props to anyone who can guess why #14 is on the throwback jersey. I love doing these. :D

As always, C&C is welcomed and encouraged! Thanks in advance.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Basic, which is fine being Providence and Rhode Island and all, the helment is ver good, with the shield. You should have used the P somewhere on the jerseys. Sorry but I really dislike throwback uniform, its really ugly manil

teams.gif

Someone be a World Champ, please!

Fantasy Football Keeper League.....PM me if you want to join!!

Looks good. I did one of these concepts awhile back and I thought the shield on the helmet looked best also. If anything the friar logo on the shoulders doesn't contrast that well against the black home uniform. Also, have you tried black socks with the away uniform? The throwback looks great! I'm diggin' the numbers and helmet.

Awesome Shane, just awesome. It's a real shame that Providence doesn't have football, their identity lends itself so well to so many sports (baseball in my series, football in your series). This is exactly what I would expect Providence's football team to look if they sponsored the sport. My only comment is that you might want to try an interlocking "PC" on the throwback helmets instead of what you have, although I suppose your rationale works.

Oh, and would #14 have anything to do with one Lenny Wilkens?

QPR%20Sig.png

It's a real shame that Providence doesn't have football, their identity lends itself so well to so many sports (baseball in my series, football in your series).

I don't think Providence ever had football. They dropped baseball about 10 years ago.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Where's the friar playing football?

6503178-c.jpg

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

These are really nice and the helmet is fantastic. I am not a real fan of that font, but that is the College's fault and you somehow made it work. A friar playing football (in a Heisman pose?) would be a great addition.

I wish these were real so URI could beat up on PC in football too. Go Rams!!! :D

-Tinkered with the template a little, so the sleeves aren't as weird and so that one shoulder doesn't look like it's flat anymore. It looks a lot better, and it's easier to work with, as well. Thanks to whoever suggested that, I think it was Bucco B.

Guilty as charged. ^_^

That said, there's really a lot that one can do with such a simple color scheme as black, silver, and white. These look really clean. IMO the Friar head would have looked better on the helmet, but I think what you got here works real good, too.

This design wins due to simplicity with what I call "subtle fonk" (the word's really "funk" but down south we pronounce it with a long vowel sound "o"). What I mean is the primary home/away is sans striping or a lot of piping save for the little bit on the knee pads (where'd that idea come from, just curious? nice touch) and then with the oh-so-cool font the Friars use. Like the offset outline, too.

Nice and nice through and through.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

:blink: .

I've liked almost all of the concepts in this series, but this one is my favorite. You absolutely nailed it. If Providence ever got a team, this is what they'd have to wear - including the throwbacks. Perfection, without extra colors or stepping outside the identity package they provide already. Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

BTW, what was the significance of the number on the XU concept? I can usually guess them, but I drew a blank on that one.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

as a huge friar fan, i think these are very good. IMO, the "swooshing" friar logo would look good on a helmet, looks speedier than a shield. but other than that, these are nice, pretty consistent with their basketball uniforms.

I'm not really a big fan of those throwbacks, but they're not bad.

If only they had a football team... all i have is URI Football, and they're not the best i've ever seen..

TDZiMMB.png

Awesome..thanks guys!

Everyone seems to agree that this A: looks good and B: does a good job of fitting into their current identity...and, well, that's kinda the point of this project. :D

To answer some questions...

Moser, I agree, Providence has a great identity package...and it is a true shame that they at least don't have baseball!

A friar in a Heisman pose would be simply awesome. However...I'm really not trying to add any logos to the teams, apart from something very small or something that combines existing logos.

Subtle fonk (hey, I'm from down south too...y'ain't gotta explain it ta me... :P) ...haha, I'll take it. B) The knee pad striping comes from the basketball team...they've had a few uniforms featuring shorts stripes on the legs (think mid 90's Pacers, that's the only prominent example I know of) and the basketball team seems to have kinda adopted that as part of their identity, so I ran with it.

VitaminD...thanks a lot for the comment, as always. You, as well as Moser, seem to be a "regular" for this project, and that's very much appreciated. The Xavier throwback stumper was Dan Abramowicz...haha, yeah, I kinda had to dig deep for it, but he was probably the best player XU ever put out.

And Moser nailed it, this one was none other than Lenny Wilkens.

Thanks once again to everyone who commented and to anyone else who might comment...I usually reply after a few days or about 10 posts, just so I can reply to more posts at a time, instead of posting after every 2-3 replies...but I've noticed that after I post my first reply, the thread pretty much dies...if you got somethin' to say, keep it coming! I'm always open to suggestions.

But anyway...now to start getting ideas for the next team!

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

friggin awesome. I really enjoy every element of this.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

• 4 weeks later...

Put the friar head on the helmet, with FRIARS written under it. There's no sense in putting the same logo on a uniform in 2 different places.

nicolevaidisova.jpgbarack-obama-043007.jpg

The reason I am on this earth-Nicole Vaidisova

Barack and Roll!!

• 6 months later...

Archived