Delta Air Lines

tBBP

Great to actually have an off-day to do what I want (concepts) instead of what I have to (homework and such)...

That said...welcome back to the Airline Football League Concept Series. For a look at all previous concepts in this series, check out the following links:

American Airlines

United Airlines

Northwest Airlines

US Airways

And now, presenting the FIFTH installment in this series...good ol' Delta Air Lines.

Maybe one of the most recognizable airlines in the industry, the company actually got its start in CROPDUSTING back in 1924 in Monroe, LA (the world's first). One of the primary investors in that company was a guy named Collett Woolman. Four years later, the company was renamed Delta Air Services, after (what else) the Mississippi Delta. It was also around that time the company moved it's HQ to Atlanta. The company became Delta Air LINES sometime around 1934, and, like US Airways, grew out of acquiring other airlines, among them Northeast, Western, Eastern (for those who remember THAT airline), as well as many of the assets of Pan American (it of the "Flight 103" notoriety). The current CEO is Gerald Grinstein (and somewhere between Leo Mullin and him, this airline went from the best in the industry to being run straight into the ground.) So there's your quick history lesson (as well as inherent explanations for names and numbers on the jerseys.)

Anyway, I have a certain amount of "fondness" for these people, since I spent 3 years of my life loading/unloading/cleaning their aircraft. However, it wasn't like I had much to work with, and I was not about to try to incorporate those "flowing colors" into the design (that's Delta's terminology for the look of the tail). One thing folks should know is that this may be one of, if not THE most buttoned-down airlines in the industry (ask anyone who used to work there or who still does-they'll tell you), so I tried to keep the look raher simple and traditional but at the same time "jazz it up" a little bit, just like Mr. Grinstein's trying to do with the airline now.

Now, for the third outfit. I think this may be one of the best I've created. I wanted to do something special for it, and the inspiration came from this. It's the "Spirit of Delta" aircraft that was purchased back in the early '80's by Delta employees--the first 767 Delta ever had. It got repained in a special 75th anniversary scheme to celebrate Delta's...um...75th anniversary back in 2004. The inspiration for that came from this--one of Delta's earliest aircraft. For the helmet, I did something totally unique and worked off this. I think the design carries a deep sense of nostalgia for anyone who has any kind of connection to Delta.

So, without further ado...I present Delta Air Lines! C&C appreciated...

deltaairlines.png

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

'Preciate it dawg...anyone else?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

The home and away uniforms seem a bit plain, but you've definitely made good use of the logo and color scheme. Royal Blue and Red have been done to death, but there's a reason for it: the two colors look good together. The highlight of this concept is the throwback, by far the best of the three uniforms. Great work, keep 'em coming...

QPR%20Sig.png

The home and away uniforms seem a bit plain, but you've definitely made good use of the logo and color scheme. Royal Blue and Red have been done to death, but there's a reason for it: the two colors look good together. The highlight of this concept is the throwback, by far the best of the three uniforms. Great work, keep 'em coming...

True...(insert particular shade of) blue and red have been done to death ESPECIALLY IN THE AIRLINE INDUSTRY (let's see...American, United (used to), Delta, USAir (well, American and USAir it's kinda easy to tell why)--even AirTran managed to slide it into their palette. But yeah--about the "plainness", that's sorta the vision I had for that. In doing this, though, I came up with a completely new idea for these. It's a special edition; that version will debut later (I think the folks in Atlanta will REALLY like that one).

'Preciate the comments, though. (And by the way Moser, whatever happened to that mouse-stick-figure thingamajob avatar you had? That thing had me crackin UP!)...

The home and away uniforms seem a bit plain, but you've definitely made good use of the logo and color scheme.  Royal Blue and Red have been done to death, but there's a reason for it:  the two colors look good together.  The highlight of this concept is the throwback, by far the best of the three uniforms.  Great work, keep 'em coming...

True...(insert particular shade of) blue and red have been done to death ESPECIALLY IN THE AIRLINE INDUSTRY (let's see...American, United (used to), Delta, USAir (well, American and USAir it's kinda easy to tell why)--even AirTran managed to slide it into their palette. But yeah--about the "plainness", that's sorta the vision I had for that. In doing this, though, I came up with a completely new idea for these. It's a special edition; that version will debut later (I think the folks in Atlanta will REALLY like that one).

'Preciate the comments, though. (And by the way Moser, whatever happened to that mouse-stick-figure thingamajob avatar you had? That thing had me crackin UP!)...

Mouse Fitzgerald (the main character from Adult Swim's 12 Oz. Mouse for those of you not in the know) will be making his triumphant return to my avatar space when the new episodes start airing next month.

QPR%20Sig.png

Nice work as usual. And thanks for the history lesson that comes with every concept unveiling.

Eastern Airlines... my family went to Florida, our luggage went to Los Angeles. We got a shopping spree on them for our troubles, which made for funny family stories (this was many many moons ago). I think I still have a deck of Eastern playing cards, but I'd have to dig through a hot, steamy attic to confirm that.

As for the concept itself, I think you nailed Delta pretty well. Buttoned-down company, all-American colors and a simple logo doesn't leave you with much flexibility in what your concept. If they were a little more stylish, you could make good use of the triangle all over the uniform - collar striping, pants striping and all - but I think you'd lose the essence of the company.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Hey look, it's the Montreal Concordes!

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Nice work as usual. And thanks for the history lesson that comes with every concept unveiling.

Eastern Airlines... my family went to Florida, our luggage went to Los Angeles. We got a shopping spree on them for our troubles, which made for funny family stories (this was many many moons ago). I think I still have a deck of Eastern playing cards, but I'd have to dig through a hot, steamy attic to confirm that.

As for the concept itself, I think you nailed Delta pretty well. Buttoned-down company, all-American colors and a simple logo doesn't leave you with much flexibility in what your concept. If they were a little more stylish, you could make good use of the triangle all over the uniform - collar striping, pants striping and all - but I think you'd lose the essence of the company.

Back in the days when Eastern ran a "focus" operation in Pensacola, I heard a good many stories similar to yours. Actually, that airline provided a good many memories for a lot of people--especially the day one of their planes cracked in half after a hard landing at our airport back home.

Back to my concept--I appreciate the remarks (from you and everyone else). As far as the preludes to my concepts, that's 1) to satisfy any possible curiosities, sort of a FYI-type deal, and 2) to lay out my goals and guidelines I set for myself, to gauge whether or not you the people think I achieved those or not--after all, that IS the purpose of this forum.

As far as "more stylish"...while doing this I came up with a derivative of this concept--a "special edition", if you will--that actually isn't too entirely far off what your mind's eye saw with the widgets. (If anyone at Delta hears you or anyone else call them "triangles", they will strangle you--guaranteed :P ) That will be unveiled soon...think "70's-ish"...and speaking of this concept, the only thing I didn't include (and I thought about it) is black shoes, since Delta BEATS IT INTO OUR HEADS THAT BLACK STEEL-TOED SHOES OR BOOTS ARE REQUIRED PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT. But that wouldn't have looked too goo with what I came up with, so I left the shoes white, except on the 75th anniversary edition.

...And as far as what your stork is bringing this Autumn 2006...if it wasn't done up in MS Paint, Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator, was it birthed out of InDesign or something? (I'm just tryna guess what other program besides 3ds Max you could have used... :D )

FOR EVERYONE: for my next unveiling, I'm kinda going back and forth about whether I should show the world Continental next (to finish off the "legacy carriers"), or kinda dive into the LCC's and show Southwest next...decisions, decisions...

Archived