ABC Sports No More

DG_ThenNowForever

From SI.com:

The sports division that spanned the globe to give viewers a constant variety of sports and asked pigskin-crazed fans if they were ready for some football has a brand new name: ESPN on ABC. ESPN will become the overarching brand for all sports programming carried on the ABC Television Network beginning Saturday, Sept. 2 -- the debut of ABC's college football season. "This evolutionary step reflects the extraordinary relationship ESPN has with today's sports fans and the dynamic changes in how sports are consumed," said George Bodenheimer, President, ESPN, Inc. and ABC Sports and Co-Chairman, Disney Media Networks, in a statement. "ESPN has been infused with ABC Sports' history of innovation, and we are committed to building upon that legacy as we continue to serve fans and our partners more effectively through ESPN on ABC."

ESPN said the new approach will cover all of the sports programming on ABC, encompassing all aspects of the production effort including on-air look, graphics and branding. "It's going to be interesting news outside of the sports media industry," sports television consultant Neil Pilson, a former president of CBS Sports who runs his own consultancy firm and often works with ESPN. "It reflects the continued expansion of influence of ESPN. This is a company that not only has four 24/7 cable channels, plus it's online, Internet, mobile phone, you name it, they now will basically contract for and control 400 hours of network broadcast time. This isn't to say they don't already do it. But now they have are going to have this additional brand platform."

How do you like that?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

From SI.com:
The sports division that spanned the globe to give viewers a constant variety of sports and asked pigskin-crazed fans if they were ready for some football has a brand new name: ESPN on ABC. ESPN will become the overarching brand for all sports programming carried on the ABC Television Network beginning Saturday, Sept. 2 -- the debut of ABC's college football season. "This evolutionary step reflects the extraordinary relationship ESPN has with today's sports fans and the dynamic changes in how sports are consumed," said George Bodenheimer, President, ESPN, Inc. and ABC Sports and Co-Chairman, Disney Media Networks, in a statement. "ESPN has been infused with ABC Sports' history of innovation, and we are committed to building upon that legacy as we continue to serve fans and our partners more effectively through ESPN on ABC."

ESPN said the new approach will cover all of the sports programming on ABC, encompassing all aspects of the production effort including on-air look, graphics and branding. "It's going to be interesting news outside of the sports media industry," sports television consultant Neil Pilson, a former president of CBS Sports who runs his own consultancy firm and often works with ESPN. "It reflects the continued expansion of influence of ESPN. This is a company that not only has four 24/7 cable channels, plus it's online, Internet, mobile phone, you name it, they now will basically contract for and control 400 hours of network broadcast time. This isn't to say they don't already do it. But now they have are going to have this additional brand platform."

How do you like that?

ESPN on ABC meet the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. :rolleyes:

metslogo_215.gif

If there can be "Nick Jr. on CBS" on Saturday mornings, I guess we can have this. Except it still seems like the tail is starting to wag the dog.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I don't really mind. Sure ESPN bothers me sometimes, but this is fine.

MNF was ABC's big thing (at least to me...but I'm only 18). Now that that's gone, if they wanna change their brand, that's fine.

And while I suppose I'm "rooting" for Versus more than ESPN, this is probably a smart business move to keep ESPN ahead of any future competitors.

If there can be "Nick Jr. on CBS" on Saturday mornings, I guess we can have this. Except it still seems like the tail is starting to wag the dog.

How do you figure? They are both part of the same company (Disney), so why is one the tail and one the dog?

[Howard Cosell]This is an absolute disgrace to the proud name of the American Broadcasting Company, that the name of some no-name cable channel, not available freely to the Great American Public, would be the brand name of the sports programming that I became famous for. It reeks of corporate communism. Where's Roone? He should be as furious as I am at this very moment.[/Howard Cosell]

There's my 2 cents, if anyone was asking for it.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

If there can be "Nick Jr. on CBS" on Saturday mornings, I guess we can have this.  Except it still seems like the tail is starting to wag the dog.

How do you figure? They are both part of the same company (Disney), so why is one the tail and one the dog?

Because ABC, as one of the traditional Big Three networks, has a tradition in sports and other programming that far predates ESPN coming into the Capital Cities (followed by Disney) fold. From that standpoint, ESPN is the tail/little brother/[CHOOSE OWN ANALOGY] that has now bypassed the dog/older brother/whatever.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

[Howard Cosell]This is an absolute disgrace to the proud name of the American Broadcasting Company, that the name of some no-name cable channel, not available freely to the Great American Public, would be the brand name of the sports programming that I became famous for. It reeks of corporate communism. Where's Roone? He should be as furious as I am at this very moment.[/Howard Cosell]

There's my 2 cents, if anyone was asking for it.

more like:

" ... would be the brand name of the sports programming that I MADE FAMOUS."

now THAT's Howard Cosell!

ABC is the major, national broadcast company, and ESPN is a minor, specialized cable channel. Sounds like dog-and-tail to me.

As for the TV display, I think it looks like some crappy "rerun" of an ESPN game that they just smacked the ABC watermark on. Looks very unprofessional. The blank portion of the bottomline (where "ESPN" used to be) also looks quite out of place.

Since we want to assume famous voices in here to get points across, here's my spin on it...

*CUE VOICE OF VINCE LOMBARDI*

"WHAT THE HELL IS GOIN ON HERE??!!"

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Call me a traditionalist when it comes to these kinda of things, but ESPN has lost their damn mind. You take one of the most prestigious companies when it comes to sports, and now you're basically pimping it out for youw own good. I don't like this.

As long as Bill Walton never calls an NBA Finals game, I'll be ok though.

I think for anybody over, say, 30, this means more than it would for younger viewers who grew up with ESPN. Those of us who remember Cosell ... Roone Arledge ... :"ABC Sports - the network of the Olympics" ... Jim McKay ... Wide World of Sports ... know what a sea change this is.

To the younger audience, it's more like "oh yeah, the broadcast network gets the finals of what we've been watching all year."

(yes, I'm with the first group.)

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Call me a traditionalist when it comes to these kinda of things, but ESPN has lost their damn mind. You take one of the most prestigious companies when it comes to sports, and now you're basically pimping it out for youw own good. I don't like this.

As long as Bill Walton never calls an NBA Finals game, I'll be ok though.

Didn't he do just that a few years ago with Bob Costas on NBC?

There's a very good chance I'm wrong about this....

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Kinda funny, considering they just revamped the graphic set for ABC Sports (again) at the beginning of this year, which finally gave it a decent look since they went to the red/yellow scheme.

Also funny is how a few years ago, ESPN based their previous graphics and logo on the ABC Sports graphic set, now it's the other way around.

kU6ns.gif

Since we want to assume famous voices in here to get points across, here's my spin on it...

*CUE VOICE OF VINCE LOMBARDI*

"WHAT THE HELL IS GOIN ON HERE??!!"

Agreed!

Or even better, from "Blazing Saddles"

WHAT IN THE WIDE, WIDE, WORLD OF SPORTS IS GOING ON HERE???

I think for anybody over, say, 30, this means more than it would for younger viewers who grew up with ESPN. Those of us who remember Cosell ... Roone Arledge ... :"ABC Sports - the network of the Olympics" ... Jim McKay ... Wide World of Sports ... know what a sea change this is.

To the younger audience, it's more like "oh yeah, the broadcast network gets the finals of what we've been watching all year."

(yes, I'm with the first group.)

I'm 22 and I'm with you. Why can't people leave well enough alone?!?!

columbusdestroyersrf6.png

osuzd9.png

Archived