it's your SONG...

tBBP

SO...here we are, now on to the ELEVENTH installment in this seemingly daily dosage of the Airline Football League Concept Series. (But I know some of y'all LIKE your daily AFL fix!!!)

Here's what I've done so far in this series:

American Airlines

United Airlines

Northwest Airlines

US Airways

Delta Air Lines

Southwest Airlines

Midwest Airlines

Continental Airlines

AirTran Airways

America West Airlines

And now, on to AFL concept #11. Simply put, In a word: SONG.

Just Song.

(Delta never really did identify whether it was Song Airlines or Song Airways or Song anything...just plain up Song. That's all it is.)

Before I get to explaining what hands-down is my most UNORTHODOX concept, here's the quick story behind it.

As most folks know, JetBlue's main market is the northeast U.S. (mainly between NY-JFK and Boston--that whole area) and travel destinations down in Florida (FLL and the like---that would be Fort LauderdaLe). They fly other places, too. Well, Delta wanted it's own little offshoot, and so it contracted Mr. Andy Spade to head the branding process. Andy Spade is the husband of Kate Spade, the founder of Kate Spade New York designer handbags. Keep that in mind as you read this, because that'll be a central theme--and one I didn't even know even while I was working with Delta until I did deeper research into this. Anyway, during the branding and marketing process, Spade and his cohorts identified their target market as "hip, style-conscious professional women". (Betcha didn't know THAT, now did you?) So, from all that research, it seemed these folks were really targeting women hard--Song was even run by a woman, Joanne Smith. (How's THAT for equal rights? I call that PROGRESS.)

The funny thing is, all the other stuff that Song included in its "branding package" appealed to "hip, style-conscious" people period. Following jetBlue's lead (or maybe to try to one-up JetBlue), the 757's Delta--er, Song, used were outfitted with leather seats and personal entertainment systems, including MP3 players, interactive trivia games, flight trackers, and DISH network satellite TV (which is also what JetBlue uses--or used to, anyway--I believe they still do). The other little quirk: in keeping with the "Song" theme, the whole "safety information and announcent" speech that FA's do--these folks actually sung it. Yeah--crazy, right?

Well, anyway, Song first took to the skies on April 15, 2003. It became hugely popular across many demographic ranges. However, while little baby boy was wowing the masses, its mother was going flat broke trying to support his activities (that among other things) and thus Delta went bankrupt in '05. Well, later on in that year, October to be exact, Delta announced plans to reel in its little baby boy and fold Song's operations back into its own. At the time, Delta also said many of the "customer friendly" in-flight entertainment features Song offered would carry over into its mainline operation. I have yet to see that happen, although Delta swears up and down the satellite TVs will be offered on ALL mainline flights--that is, mainline flights longer than 1750 miles. Song's last flight was from LAS to MCO (LAS vegas to Orlando--the airfield is named McCOy field) on April 30, 2005.

Okay...let me take a DEEP breath...

I'll just come out and say it: this may be the craziest concept you've seen me do. May be the craziest one I do. But then, Song's livery wasn't exactly "tame", either. See for yourself. There's two of those little "swishy" things--Song's logo--wrapped around the plane. Here it is, viewed from the other side. I can already see some of you going, "oh shoot--what is he done went and did with this?" From the wraparound logos (yes--they're included in this concept) to the electric green--this concept is NOT for those without an open mind. You want me to take that further? Wait 'til you see what I had to work with for the third outfit. It's Song's only other livery--and yes, it's pink. (You can also get a better view of the "wraparound effect".) Perhaps that was in keeping with the "catering to the women" thing? maybe--but it's unique, and I think Hawaiian Air (which IS included in this series, by the way) and Thai Airlines are the only other two airlines that even use pink.

Now back to the wraparounds. I tried my best (and many tries it took) to replicate that look on the pants legs. I also had an idea come to me, since there are TWO logos wrapped around the plane, to do something similar with the tops. And really, that idea came from these bad boys. (By the way, anyone besides me notice the different number font on the jersey? It threw me too--that ain't their usual style.) The wraparound on the jersey is reversed from the one on the pants because--well, that's how it is on the plane. As for the numbers I used, these are not years this time (because I just didn't like using "03" and "05"--remind me too much of those old FUBU jerseys everybody thought was so fresh back in the day), but rather, days. The 15th and the 30th. The 15th is the day Song first took off; the 30th is the day it took off last, both in April, albeit three years apart. (How odd is it that those are paydays, as well?)

Well...now that all that's over, I'm actually anxious to see what y'all got to say about this one...and even with all that I included, considering what I had to work with, I think it came out pretty crisp--the type of things that might "grow on ya"...

Presenting...SONG!!!

SongAFLv2.png

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I like it, you took a modern design and made it kinda classy, nice job.

You didn't have much to work with either, that's a very good concept. This whole project has been awesome.

thanks. I appreciate that.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

I like it, you took a modern design and made it kinda classy, nice job.

You didn't have much to work with either, that's a very good concept. This whole project has been awesome.

thanks. I appreciate that.

Hey, you deserve it, the whole project has been very well researched and very well designed.

All of the feedback I get is what keeps me going. Daily my list of airlines gets longer. I think I'm right at or around 25 right now. (This series was originally only about 10 or 11 deep--but I left room for expansion.) And then, I'm also getting requests for some airlines I've never even heard of or some that's been dead a while. But hey--I'm game. it's all helping me sharpen my skills. This is more than just a hobby to me--this is the kind of stuff I want to do in the real world. I know sports branding is a tough one to break into, but I know if I work hard enough at it, and learn how to break my own barriers (as this series really has taught me to do--check the evolution of my designs), I can get to where I wanna go.

So to all to leave me C&C, I truly and honestly appreciate. I can think something look great as hell but the next man won't, and so it's also helping me see how others see what I see--kinda teaching me to view things thorugh other people's eyes.

Next concept will debut sometime next week, can't say exactly when since i got midterms. But it's coming...and I can't even tell what's next. but you'll know it when you see it--just look for it!

Wow. That's all I can say right now.

There, now that I have that out of my system, part of the reason this concept is great because you have such a cool identity to work with. Excellent use of the logos, and that pant striping is the coolest translation of livery I've seen so far in your series. If this were a real team, I don't think pink would go over big with the players. But that's the beauty of a fantasy concept ;)

QPR%20Sig.png

very VERY interesting concept.....the pants are amazing...keep up the good work....(by the way its going,you will have all the airlines ever created on y our list!!!

Sure seems that way... :D

Looking back on this one, this one has moved up to the top of my list of favorites, right up there with Midwest and America West--and the more and more I look at it, I even impressed ME. (I'm my own worst critic, but I think that's true of most "artsy" people.)

Wow. I think Moser summed that up the best.

SO...let's see what I can cook up next...sometime next week (or maybe sooner) something new is going to show up on the boards...juse keep looking for it!!!

Love this design, the research you put into this is just amazing and I love what you're doing right now. It's great how you encorperated the company's theme/look/mood/identity and put that into an amazing uniform package. The pink set is spiffy and DEFINATELY out there, but it's very cool and trendy.

I give you 6 stars out of 5 and a job well done! Your work is simply amazing, and to quote Moser

Wow.

Great googily-moogily!

Judging this solely on its merits, you really nailed this one - perhaps better than the others to date. This is definitely outside the box, but it is exactly what it should be. Well-researched, and very well-executed. You sir, do some damn fine work - congrats!

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Sick work man. These are awesome, as all of your concepts for this project have been. I'm loving those pants. They're creative and unique. The colors are sweet looking too. I also like the introductions for all of these concepts, you really know your stuff. The work is phenomenal.

Awesome job.

Any plans to do Alaska Airlines? Just wondering because it's really big in this area.

Yes it is. Was on my original list, too--before it got "modified". (I think I'm up to like 20 or so now!)

Tight stuff, Bucco...I especially like how you made those hot colors (which I, believe it or not, happen to actually like!) work. BTW, DirecTV is what's on jetBlue.

I just found that out while researching jetBlue, too. But good looking on the info, anyway. (By the way, jetBlue concept to some soon...)

And, I'll just say it again: I really do appreciate all the C&C I'm getting from everyone, from the board rookies to vets and all in between. I really wasn't expecting this series to take off the way it has--but hey, guess that means I'm doing SOMETHING right!

Up next in the Airline Football League Concept Series, and in no particular order: the flag carrier of the "Great White North", the airline of the island state in the Pacific (I told you it was coming), a certain airline named for one place but based in another (it's in the northwest), and a special now-defunct airline that pretty much became known for its "bubbles".

Y'all know I love playing these "guessing games" with you...so feel free to tosso out your best! (As well as any more C&C you may have...)

Up next in the Airline Football League Concept Series, and in no particular order: the flag carrier of the "Great White North", the airline of the island state in the Pacific (I told you it was coming), a certain airline named for one place but based in another (it's in the northwest), and a special now-defunct airline that pretty much became known for its "bubbles".

The first is Alaska and the second is Aloha or Hawaiian. I can't think of anything for the third other than Horizon. No idea on the 4th.

The first is Alaska and the second is Aloha or Hawaiian. I can't think of anything for the third other than Horizon. No idea on the 4th.

I'd bet good money that the first one is Air Canada, not Alaska Airlines. The Great White North = :flagcanada:, not the tundra we bought from the Russians.

Carry on.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Right, my guesses are:

1. Air Canada

2. Probably Hawaiian but possibly Aloha, they're both in Hawaii.

3. Alaska (in the northwest, called Alaska but based in Seattle)

4. ?? No clue. I worked in the airline industry for 20 years and have read a lot of airline history but I have no idea what "bubbles" means...unless it's these short-lived Braniff uni's with clear plastic helmets to protect the flight attendants' hairdos (no, seriously).

pucci.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived