St. Louis Rams...it's YOUR TURN!

tBBP

Well, moving right along here...

First off, I'm in the last 2 weeks of my term here at school, so these concepts have been coming a little slower than usual. But in two weeks I should be back to full-speed like I was before. (That was for those of you who've been wondering why I haven't been showing many concepts of late--didn't realize I had THAT BIG a following on these boards...thanks!)

Following is a list of the NFL squads I've already completed in this series:

Cleveland Browns

Tennessee Titans

Philadelphia Eagles

And now we head on over to the Gateway City. Y'all ready for this? In the words of Nelly, "do you wanna come and take a ride wit me"? Well come on then...let's RIDE ON OUT!

First things first. I've never really been a fan of St. Louis' current color palette. I wasn't too hot when St. Louis debuted that change; six years later I still don't like it. The uniforms themselves ain't that shabby--except for the plain gold pants. At least the white and navy pants have SOME character to them. SO, that's the first thing to know. Why? Because I did what 90% of the folks who've done Rams concepts have done--went back to the royal and yellow gold of old--actually, a slightly deeper royal and a slightly brighter yellow-gold. So there's that.

I think I stumbled across a great idea while doing my Eagles concept--combining eras. The Rams (and I think we can all agree on this) have had, throughout their history, one of the greatest-looking uniform "lineages" that have ever existed in sports, period. (That even includes the red and black sets they used orignally, back in 1937--bet y'all didn't know THAT did you?) There's plenty of history behind them, not the least of which was the ingenious "ram horns"--thought up by Rams' halfback Fred Gehrke-who studied art in college at Utah. Those horns debuted in 1948, and have carried all this way. It wasn't until sometime in the '70's that the horns made it onto the sleeves--one of sports' all-time greatest looks.

Well, as much as I would have liked to include those horns, I didn't? Why? two reasons. First,keeping in mind the ever-disappearing sleeves of current NFL jerseys, it'd really be pointless to try to replicate that. Secondly--and this was my central idea in doing this concept, as it was with my Eagles re-do--my aim was to combine the best elements of the Rams' past uniforms while also keeping the overall look fresh and modern.

We've already covered the colors, but I also added white into the mix--but only in the most miniscule manner, much like I did with the black in the Eagles concept and the red in the Titans concept. I kept the numbers the Rams use now, because I like those and they look good. They are yellow-gold outlined in white--just as they are now (except for the current Vegas gold), which is actually the style used back in the late 50's--gold outlined in white. (We'll get back to that era a little later when we get to my alt set.) In place of the horns on the sleeve, I used shoulder stripes that actually abstractly (are supposed to) resemble the Gateway arch in my recolored secondary logo--itself a combination of the current wordmark and the previous Rams logo/wordmark. It also is an element--save for the thinner outline--from the mid-60's-style jerseys. I know they look strange at first, but I had in mind the current--is the word truncated?--shoulder stripes of the Indy Colts when I did this--which is also why I went with the Denver Broncos cut-patterned jersey style (which is a template quite a few NFL teams are using these days). Plus, looking at that cut style from the front, it kinda goes give the impression of an "arch", doesn't it? My side views don't really show off the "arch effect" i was going for with the shoulder striping that well, but you may kinda get the idea if you study the front and back views and try to put it together. Staying up on the shirt, on the white shirts I made the sleeves blue, as they are now, and all shirts have TV numbers on the SLEEVES--just like days of old. On the white shirts, the numbers are yellow-gold outlined in white, just as they are on the blue shirts, to try to maintain uniformity with that element. That line of reasoning also explains my pants striping.

And speaking of those pants, the primary sets include the yellow-gold pants we all love, with a thin white/thick royal/thin white stripe, to replicate the numerals (speaking of the thin/thick/thin style). The secondary road set includes WHITE pants with a yellow/blue/yellow stripe (again mimicking the numbers on the white shirts), creating a white-on-white look, which harkens back to the Merlin Olsen/Deacon Jones era from the mid-60's-mid-70's. And, just for the fun of it, I also threw in a tertiary road set with BLUE pants with white/yellow/white stripe--only because I know half the community would be curious as to how that would look (including myself). PLUS, the Rams have worn 3 different styles of pants on the road--gold, white, and navy--so there you go. OH--and before I forget, i actually did tinker with the helmet a little bit. To me, it seems that with the white trim the Rams are using, some white outta be included in the helmet somewhere, so that's what I did. I made the facemask white, number one because I think it looks better that way (and not too different from the days of the gray facemasks), and two, if you look at the face of the ram in the primary logo--it's white. So there you go. Also, I did something a little out of the ordinary and added a teeny bit of white detail to the horns as well. Guess where I got that idea? Yep--that same primary ram logo. Take a good look at it--you'll see.

Okay, to the alt set. I based the look on the Norm Van Brocklin/Elroy "Crazylegs" Hirsh era of the early '50s, with the blue dome, yellow shirt, and white pants with thin blue/yellow/blue stripe. Yes--the triple blue stripe is there on the sleeves, and I even managed to get the TV numbers on the sleeves as well! I even included black shoes--how 'bout that?!

(By the way, if anyone wants to know where I found all this uniform information from, look here.

As for the logos, well...the primary, tertiary, and wordmark logos are recolored; the secondary logo was discussed earlier.

Overall, I think the entire package is fresh, pseudo-retro, and uniquely modern all at the same time. But--as usual, that's just one man's opinon--my two rusted Lincolns.

And now time for me to (hopefully) bless the eyes of the Ram faithful as well as all others who liked the Rams' looks in the past. Here I present to the world...the St. Louis Rams!

STLrams.png

Let the C&C commence...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

YES!!! Thank you!!! you went back to the old colors, but kept the Ram logo. I LOVE it!! I'm not to hot on the yellow alt though. Or the blue pants. It seems like the Rams have always had bad luck when they wear they're blue pants, I don't think they wear them anymore. You should try making an alt that has their OLD colors, with no yellow, just blue and white. Back from the Cleveland days. They're in Madden I believe.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

You should try making an alt that has their OLD colors, with no yellow, just blue and white. Back from the Cleveland days. They're in Madden I believe.

I'll drop some knowledge on ya: the Rams wore red and black in their first season in Cleveland, but then switched to blue and gold (in fact, their gold jerseys for most of those years looked like what B has up). they didn't switch to the blue and white scheme until the mid 60s, wearing that combo until they returned to their senses in 73.

as you might've figured out by now, I never liked those 60's uniforms...they are the rare triple whammy: the unis that came before looked better (the gold and blue northwestern stripes), the unis that came after them looked better (the almighty horn sleeves), and they hold the unwanted distinction of being the most boring set the Rams have ever had (sleepz)

didn't realize I had THAT BIG a following on these boards

heh, you're no AAO but you'll do :D now THAT boy got a following. eh well, it's a great compliment to have a following (even if it's smaller than mine :D and mine's puny)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I'll drop some knowledge on ya: the Rams wore red and black in their first season in Cleveland, but then switched to blue and gold (in fact, their gold jerseys for most of those years looked like what B has up). they didn't switch to the blue and white scheme until the mid 60s, wearing that combo until they returned to their senses in 73.

All of which was covered in my intro--well, except for the mention of Cleveland...

...there's another little "hidden" element contained within this set...I'm waiting to see if anyone can figure out what it is...study the concept carefully... (I do this a lot, for those who haven't caught on yet--especially with my Airlne Football League Series...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

I'll drop some knowledge on ya: the Rams wore red and black in their first season in Cleveland, but then switched to blue and gold (in fact, their gold jerseys for most of those years looked like what B has up).  they didn't switch to the blue and white scheme until the mid 60s, wearing that combo until they returned to their senses in 73.

All of which was covered in my intro--well, except for the mention of Cleveland...

...there's another little "hidden" element contained within this set...I'm waiting to see if anyone can figure out what it is...study the concept carefully... (I do this a lot, for those who haven't caught on yet--especially with my Airlne Football League Series...)

Is it that the yellow on the shoulder mimics the "arch" element in the secondary logo?

And did you ever respond to my second guess of Independence Air on the bubbles thing? B)

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I'll drop some knowledge on ya: the Rams wore red and black in their first season in Cleveland, but then switched to blue and gold (in fact, their gold jerseys for most of those years looked like what B has up).  they didn't switch to the blue and white scheme until the mid 60s, wearing that combo until they returned to their senses in 73.

Is it that the yellow on the shoulder mimics the "arch" element in the secondary logo?

And did you ever respond to my second guess of Independence Air on the bubbles thing? B)

No.

And yes.

OK, it's not the hidden element but the shoulder stripe DOES evoke the arch, correct?

Yessir it does (or is supposed to, anyway). If you can see it, I'd say mission accomplished.

Hint about the "element": it's actually not so much an element; it's found on the back views. Look closely...and keep in mind the city of St. Louis.

Well, I don't have a clue. Googled the Brickenborough name and didn't get anything, and the C. Haynes is too generic to Google.

C. Haynes...heh, I thought more folks here could talk some country grammar. eh well, I'll drop the hot ish...a fella named Cornell Haynes Jr. whom the world knows by another moniker: Nelly

Brickenborough...I been schwabbed on that one.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Well, I don't have a clue.  Googled the Brickenborough name and didn't get anything, and the C. Haynes is too generic to Google.

C. Haynes...heh, I thought more folks here could talk some country grammar. eh well, I'll drop the hot ish...a fella named Cornell Haynes Jr. whom the world knows by another moniker: Nelly

Brickenborough...I been schwabbed on that one.

CONGRATULATIONS...WE HAVE OURSELVES A WINNER!

(The Brickenborough name means nothing; it's just the latest in a line of ridiculously long surnames I've been using for this series--if y'all haven't picked up on that yet--just so see how long names would look on these things.)

And skyaa1, I coulda swore I wrote back on that...but eh well. You and I both now you got that one right. You and Mr. Racine can share the same prize/// :winner:

By the way, skyaa1...your boys is next. Just figured I'd let you know. Any suggestions you may wanna toss my way since you ARE the #1 Saints fan here?

(Feel special--that's the first time I've ever asked for a suggestion before completing a concept. Just to gather more outside ideas than i already have..)

Archived