Only the Arizona Cardinals

NJTank

Alright, here's my two cents on this game.

I watched pretty much every moment of the contest last night, and I'm convinced that the Cards' O-Line is the main thing that's holding them back (apparently, so is Michael Smith of ESPN.com, because he wrote an entire article on it today). There's something really wrong when a running back as good as Edgerrin James can only manage 55 yards on 36 friggin' carries, and I'm pretty sure it's not Edgerrin, because he's healthy, and we've all seen what he can do when healthy in the past. If the Cardinals had had better run-blocking throughout the game, they would have been able to run the clock down more and/or make field-goal tries shorter. Plus, how on earth did Oliver Ross completely forget to block Mark Anderson on that one play where Leinart fumbled?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[Denny Green]The Bears are who they thought we were. That's why we took the damn field![/Denny Green]

Yes and the Cardinals are who we thought they were, too. Denny, you play to win the game, not just finish the game out.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Oh yeah; something else I wanted to say for those still reading this thread.

There might be such a thing as a cursed franchise, but the Cardinals certainly aren't one of them. It's mis-management over all the years that has caused their lack of success. And Coast2Coast, I know you said the draft should help, but it won't when management doesn't know how to pick players correctly and address the team's real problems. Why didn't Arizona management try to shore up their O-line in this year's draft, when it was an obvious concern for them the last couple of seasons? All they did was get Deuce Lutui, and as one ESPN writer pointed out, they really needed tackles more than guards (for proof of that, look no further than Ross' mistake yesterday). The other thing: why the hell is Arizona leading the league in cap space when they have obvious holes that need to be fixed? Seems to me that represents a real lack of commitment to winning on the part of Bill Bidwill.

Alright, here's my two cents on this game.

I watched pretty much every moment of the contest last night, and I'm convinced that the Cards' O-Line is the main thing that's holding them back (apparently, so is Michael Smith of ESPN.com, because he wrote an entire article on it today).

Again, everyone failing to give credit to the Bears for making plays. It's not like the Bears were a crappy defense, and all of a sudden started stopping the run, or started taking the ball away. They have averaged giving up only 3.3 yards per carry so far this year! And, the defense has a NFL high 17 takeaways. But that's okay, it was all the Cardinals sucking, and had nothing to do with the Bears being any good... :rolleyes:

Moose

But that's okay, it was all the Cardinals sucking, and had nothing to do with the Bears being any good... :rolleyes:

Moose

The Bears have been great all year, no one's saying otherwise. Last night, however, they had a bad game, and only won because the Cards faild to put them away.

Charles Barkley is the smartest man in sports.

Did you catch his Auburn-Florida Prediction on College Gameday?

He picked Auburn to win 21-17, had it not been for Auburn returning a fumble off a lateral on the games final play the score would have been 21-17.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Too bad the Bears don't have the best defense in the league.

I'd disagree with that, but it's closer than most people will suggest. The difference is that the Bears defense is completely dominant. The Broncos may give up less points, or have to this point, but they're more bend but not break.

They still haven't really given up a TD that's mattered too much, though -- the one they did was when the Broncos were playing to not get beat deep, rather than their usual defense.

Broncos have the best CB's and LB's in the League, though. That Bears D-Line is ridiculous, though. The Broncos struggle to get a pass rush.

The Bronco's Defense is right up there as the top 3 in the league with Chicago and San Diego. If I ranked them overall it'd be all homerism, so I won't. Their (Denver) Corners are the best in the League but its a tossup on Linebackers. Briggs and Urlacher. Phillips and Merriman. Those guys are pretty good. D-Line is no question.

If you watch the Bears, they give up some yards inside the 20s. But once it gets down to the Red Zone, its lights out (exception: 1st quarter last night)

I know I'm excited how this year is going to pan out for the Bears and everyone else. After last night, there isn't a team that's been dominate. There are about 12 teams that could still be in Miami for the Super Bowl. It'll be fun.

There was also a big taunting penalty after a Cards return on a punt. That was a ridiculous call. If a player doesn't throw the ball at someone, get right in another players face, or do something clearly ridiculous (think Moss's mooning), then taunting should not be called.

Didn't Arrington jump right up, spike the ball, then start jawwing with a Bears player?

Oh yeah; something else I wanted to say for those still reading this thread.

There might be such a thing as a cursed franchise, but the Cardinals certainly aren't one of them. It's mis-management over all the years that has caused their lack of success. And Coast2Coast, I know you said the draft should help, but it won't when management doesn't know how to pick players correctly and address the team's real problems. Why didn't Arizona management try to shore up their O-line in this year's draft, when it was an obvious concern for them the last couple of seasons? All they did was get Deuce Lutui, and as one ESPN writer pointed out, they really needed tackles more than guards (for proof of that, look no further than Ross' mistake yesterday). The other thing: why the hell is Arizona leading the league in cap space when they have obvious holes that need to be fixed? Seems to me that represents a real lack of commitment to winning on the part of Bill Bidwill.

in other words, they don't know what they are doing.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Too bad the Bears don't have the best defense in the league.

I'd disagree with that, but it's closer than most people will suggest. The difference is that the Bears defense is completely dominant. The Broncos may give up less points, or have to this point, but they're more bend but not break.

They still haven't really given up a TD that's mattered too much, though -- the one they did was when the Broncos were playing to not get beat deep, rather than their usual defense.

Broncos have the best CB's and LB's in the League, though. That Bears D-Line is ridiculous, though. The Broncos struggle to get a pass rush.

The Bronco's Defense is right up there as the top 3 in the league with Chicago and San Diego. If I ranked them overall it'd be all homerism, so I won't. Their (Denver) Corners are the best in the League but its a tossup on Linebackers. Briggs and Urlacher. Phillips and Merriman. Those guys are pretty good. D-Line is no question.

If you watch the Bears, they give up some yards inside the 20s. But once it gets down to the Red Zone, its lights out (exception: 1st quarter last night)

I know I'm excited how this year is going to pan out for the Bears and everyone else. After last night, there isn't a team that's been dominate. There are about 12 teams that could still be in Miami for the Super Bowl. It'll be fun.

I'll give you that Linebackers are a toss up. But the speed and athleticism of Al Wilson, Ian Gold, and DJ Williams is something special to watch. This Denver defense is the same way. Once you get around Denver's 35, it becomes almost impossible to move the ball. The Broncos defense plays extremely fast. I think the biggest difference between this year and last year is that not only is Champ Bailey healthy, but the injuries last year made him work harder to prepare and that carried over to this year. If the QB's smart, Champ Bailey can completely shut down his side of the field. He's made QB's pay this year when they've tested him.

IUe6Hvh.png

I have never seen a team that won play as crappy as the Bears did. It's true, turnovers aren't complete accidents, but even a defense as great as the Bears doesn't usually score 3 non-offensive touchdowns in the same game, much less in the last 16 minutes of a game. The 1985 Bears were the greatest pressure defense (sacks, turnovers) ever, and they never did that.

The Bears offense is in trouble because Grossman thrown off his back foot entirely too much. Any team in the playoffs that gets pressure in his face (read: Eagles) can expect a couple gimme interceptions, and the Bears' o-line isn't good enough to protect the QB in obvious passing situations when the Bears are behind.

Conversely, the Cardinals' offensive coordinator deserved to get fired after that game. In the first place, you don't keep calling something that isn't working. If they hadn't run Edge 36 times, you can bet they would have rung up more than 23 points before the fourth quarter. Their two field goals late in the first half were the best example of this- once they got in range they reined in the short passing game, which was picking apart the cover 2. I remember a 2002 game when the Patriots passed 30 plays in a row against the Steelers because they knew they couldn't run the ball, and they won the game.

But then, once they got their big lead in the fourth quarter, they passed when they didn't need to. As idiotic as I think Gregg Easterbrook is, because his case studies are incredibly selective, his thing about running up the middle 3 times late in a game where you have a big lead, especially when the opposing offense can't do jack, is on the money.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Bears fans are some of my least favorite.

I saw all of those people flooding the exits after Grossman threw that last pick...those were the same douches that were in the concourse after the game whooping it up.

The Bears should be 4-2. They had the Vikings game lost too. There Defense is VERY good, and VERY opportunisitc, but has been bailed out twice now by very steady RBs that dont fumble...fumbling.

I sound sour grapes, I am. I want it to be known I am a Vikings fan, and I was at that game and Rashied Davis scored literally right in my face.

Mark my words. The Bears will NOT win the Super Bowl this year. I would love to put my money where my mouth is going. Is there a bet in vegas to take the spread? I'd put $500 that they are using all of their 'mojo' too early.

12-4, then out the door.

Skol f-ing Vikings.

This was an important lesson for the Bears. They were getting complacent; you could tell from the interviews leading up to the game and so forth. They got caught with their pants down big-time on this one, and would've paid the price if Brian Urlacher didn't turn into a monster in the final period, and if Devin Hester wasn't ridiculously fast. Now they've been reminded that every game isn't going to be a blowout after all, and they're going to have to stay hungry week after week after week if they want to win a Super Bowl. I think we'll see a lot less gunslinging from Grossman, and a lot more running from Cedric Benson.

In spite of the near loss, the Bears are still the best team in football. A lesser team wouldn't have won it. Now they have an entire week to dissect what they did wrong and prepare themselves for two more games in which the opposition cannot be written off, and a road trip that will determine just what this season is going to be.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Welcome Dennis Green to the Tirade Fraternity

Presidents - Billy Martin, Tommy Lasorda

Co-Vice Presidents - Lou Piniella, Hal McRae, John Chaney, Kevin Gilbride

Secretaries - Sparky Anderson, Jim Shoenfeld, Herm Edwards, Robbie Ftorek, Mike Ditka

Director of Diddly-Poo - Jim Mora

Archived