New logo pops up for Cedar Rapids Kernels

Royals Insider

MKSkdtxZ.jpg

The Cedar Rapids Kernels unveiled their new logo Wednesday, marking another step in the progression of one of the Midwest League's longest-running franchises.

Now taken for granted, the idea of a team having a unique name and corresponding logo has been increasingly cultivated in the Minor Leagues. The Kernels' evolution is indicative of changes that have swept through the sport in recent years.

From 1965 until 1992, Cedar Rapids simply named itself after whatever Major League team it happened to be identified with. But when the Cincinnati Reds terminated their affiliation with the club after the 1992 season, it became clear that a change was in order. The team decided to forge a new identity, and named themselves the Kernels.

"When we changed our name to the Kernels in 1993, Minor League marketing was in its infancy," said Andrew Pantini, the team's director of Graphics and Technology. "Our logo was a national hit at the time, but in recent years we came to feel like we've been left behind."

The now outdated logo, which was set against a red backdrop, featured a baseball emerging from a corn husk. It has been replaced by a far more striking image: an anthropomorphic, bat-shaped, cap-wearing ear of corn.

"We felt it was time to refresh our image and come up with something more appealing and character driven," Pantini said. "This is a way for us to forge a new identity."

The new logo is a departure for the club, who are entering their 14th season as an affiliate of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. In order for the ear of corn to be recognizable, the Kernels had to deviate somewhat from their traditional red, white and blue color scheme.

"We wanted to keep our team colors, but the ear of corn didn't look right," Pantini said. "It ended up looking like a banana or a tropical plant, so we ended up choosing the color green instead."

The end result further establishes the unique identity of the 45-year-old franchise.

"The Angels have been a great affiliate, but with the old logo we looked like the baby Angels," Pantini said. "Our new logo is very appealing, and it really sets us apart."

I like it.

And the full set:

Home, Road and BP jerseys:

Home-Jersey.jpgRoad-Jersey.jpgBP-Jersey.jpg

Home cap:

Home-Hat.jpg

Alt cap:

Alternate-Cap.jpg

I worry that it might be a bit too busy, and I don't like the road wordmark, but there's a lot that I do like about this set.

Here's a better look at the cap logos:

Cap-Logo.jpg

Alternate-Logo-sm.jpg

For reference, the old "Baby Angel" jerseys:

kernelsbaseball_1916_157433.jpgkernelsbaseball_1916_743671.jpg

Yeah, I think if you first see it without the wordmark, it reads as a bat. If you see it with the superimposed wordmark, something gets broken up - the vertical line - and it doesn't look like a bat to me.

Yeah, I think if you first see it without the wordmark, it reads as a bat. If you see it with the superimposed wordmark, something gets broken up - the vertical line - and it doesn't look like a bat to me.

The post so nice you made it twice :D

I agree with the sentiment that this is trying to do too much. It's a bat, an ear of corn, a K, a baseball dude.

It's where I sit.

I love it. Perfect for a Minor League team, yet not TOO outlandish like some do. It's very clever with the bat as the corn. The "Hidden" K actually looks good (Though it goes against my usual philosophy, I do feel it's OK for Minor League teams to use the letter of the Nickname rather than the location. Heck, I work Retail for the Springfield Cardinals and our New Sunday caps for 2007 features a "C", aswear our regular hats feature the S with the Bird on the bat. It's not officially unveiled, so I can't really say more. But the "Letter" of the Nickname still feels wrong for Major League teams, however.) Only thing about the jerseys is how they both say Kernels, but in similar yet slightly but not too different, ways. I'd rather it be the same, different altogether, or say the location. But all in all, I like this.

?and I found my answer on the Kernels website:

?Prior to 1992, the Cedar Rapids teams tended to adopt the nickname of their affiliate?, said Andrew Pantini, Director of Graphics & Technology. ?When the Cincinnati Reds ended their affiliation in 1992, the team held a ?name the team? contest and Gary Anderson (of Signal Communications) designed the current logo, which was widely praised throughout professional baseball. Dan Simon and Studio Simon were recommended as the company we should choose to help create our new logo and I feel this was a great choice. Dan was very helpful as we negotiated all the hurdles of creating a new identity for the Kernels.?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

This new package strikes a design/word choice nerve.

The old logo is what a logo should be - a symbol.

This knew thing, while I like it and think it is neat looking, is not a logo. It is a cartoon design. It is cool looking and all, but it is not really what I consider a logo.

Somebody posted a while back that the mark of solid, time-tested, logo is one that can be easily reproduced in the margin of notebook paper in study hall or a board meeting. :D

fade.gif

for the most part i like this package, but there are a few things i dont like

1. the cap logo, the k isn't very noticable and makes the hat look horrible

2. the wordmarks. the home has the hidden k which i have already stated i dont like, while the away wordmark has the name of the city under the team name. something i reall dont like.

3. I also dont like how there is very little red in the jerseys.

still an upgrade though

for the most part i like this package, but there are a few things i dont like

1. the cap logo, the k isn't very noticable and makes the hat look horrible

2. the wordmarks. the home has the hidden k which i have already stated i dont like, while the away wordmark has the name of the city under the team name. something i reall dont like.

3. I also dont like how there is very little red in the jerseys.

still an upgrade though

You hate 90% of it, yet it's an upgrade. Wow.

For the record, the K is minor league genius. I want a hat, but I need a jersey.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived