Nike Poised to Outfit DFB

Fred T. Jane

OK, it just an offer at this point, but this is pretty huge. Besides, when it comes to the DFB and Adidas, it's not like their coloured kit was worth anything at the World Cup. I mean, where is the green! <_<

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/6227148

Nike makes bid to equip Germany

Associated Press

Posted: 8 hours ago

FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) - Nike has made "a commercially very interesting" offer to become the supplier of equipment to the national team, the German soccer federation (DFB) said Friday.

No details of the offer were made public. The national team has played in outfits provided by the Germany-based adidas company since the 1954 World Cup, when it won the first of its three titles.

The players were allowed earlier this year to start using shoes supplied by their personal sponsors.

DFB president Theo Zwanziger told the board about the Nike offer, the DFB said in a statement.

Nike is based in Beaverton, Oregon, and is the world's largest maker of athletic apparel.

Adidas recently extended its contract with the DFB until 2014, but Nike's offer would be valid from 2011, the DFB said.

Zwanziger has held extensive talks with adidas to inform the company about the Nike offer. The two sides agreed not to disclose any details and not comment further, the DFB said.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

If Nike gets the German Federation contract, then all bets are off, indeed. It'd be strange for Germany not to continue supporting a business that started and remains in its own country. Same with England and Umbro.

Nike should stick to the USA, Portugal, Australia and Brasil.

Archived