New Methodist University Monarchs logos

leggman01

here are the logos

primaryextendedyy0.jpg

primary w/ extended wordmark

primarystackedjp4.jpg

primary w/ stacked wordmark

secondaryfullbodypv6.jpg

secondary - full body (my favorite of the bunch)

secondaryheadnt2.jpg

secondary - head only

monogramsmd2.jpg

monograms

here is the release

personally, i think they look amazing - as someone who was involved in this process from the start, i think skye really hit the mark with what the university was looking for

thoughts?

for those that are interested, here is a history of how this process got started almost 2 years ago...there was some major changeover in the public relations/marketing department that stalled the process, then the discussion about a name change from Methodist College to Methodist University (which happened in November) threw another wrench...ultimately, though, this is what we have and it's a direct result of this board

incidentally, skye also was chosen to re-design the institutional logo, which can be found here

jldesigns404eo.png

monograms look like Marquette only in Green and Gold instead of Blue and Gold.

actually, it doesn't really - this was a major point in the design process...the committee wanted to interlock the MU, much like marquette, but skye was concerned about trademark issues and delivered the staggered look

here is marquette's mu

marqulk47sf36h6g3y141mkdu6.gif

jldesigns404eo.png

Good stuff. Something about the crown bothers me, and the expression looks a little too awake and, well, rabid or crazy. I also don't much like the MU, except in the case of the shield. I think I'd like the head logo better if it was the entire mane, instead of cutting it in the middle. Nitpicks, but overall, great work.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Good stuff. Something about the crown bothers me, and the expression looks a little to awake and, well, rabid or crazy. I also don't much like the MU, except in the case of the shield. I think I'd like the head logo better if it was the entire mane, instead of cutting it in the middle. Nitpicks, but overall, great work.

tempest/leeds...i think the head logo will grow on you...i wasn't a fan of it at first, but have really grown to like it over the last few weeks

skye - feel free to correct me if this wasn't a thought that entered into your thinking, but i personally think if the entire mane had been kept on the head only logo it would have been way too vertical (and thanks for posting the sheets...i don't have those in yellow...just the gold option we were working with...too bad we lost that battle)

jldesigns404eo.png

this is a gorgeous package. great work skye, beautiful rendering of the lion. its always tough to do a logo like this and make it stand out as unique, because the concept (or a variation of it) has been done so many times (how many lion logos are out there, or even royal lions for that matter), but you pulled it off brilliantly. I love the MU in the shield, its much more ownable and unique than when taken out of the shield, and would have loved to see this package with that as the only monogram option.

I do have some problems with a couple details on this though, and while I hate to be that guy, I'm also a strong believer that the devils in the details.

So, first off, when i'm looking at the front section of the lions head. it looks as though its a flattened and then skewed to the right a touch, making the forehead of the lion appear distorted. the right most spoke of the crown juts out a bit further than i think it should, which only emphasizes that effect. this is even more evident in the head only mark (which i agree with everyone has something of an unnatural look to it). The head only mark seems almost as if its italicized .. its not balanced as well as it could be in my eyes.

I had a few free minutes today, so i tweaked those few things and came up with this (just look at the forehead and crown on the full mark):

methodist_fix_1.jpg

methodist_fix_2.jpg

I think the new head only mark works pretty well, especially when slapped onto a helmet:

methodist_fix_3.jpg

I know its nitpicking, but just wanted to satisfy my own eyes. don't mean to denigrate your work on this in the least skye, just tossing in my two cents.

js - i think your first "tweak" is so minimal, it's hard to call it an improvement - 98% of the non-designing public wouldn't be able to tell the difference between those 2 logos

the head only version you did is not an improvement, at all, in my opinion, and illustrates the problem that i mentioned earlier with trying to incorporate more mane...the logo gets too vertical and becomes very limiting (coincidentally, that logo has a real buffaslug look about it, and i know you, of all people, would want to avoid that :))

when skye first worked up the head only version the committee asked him to tweak it and make the bottom of the logo similar in shape to the carolina panthers logo - i think skye did a great job of getting close to that without duplicating it

jldesigns404eo.png

js - i think your first "tweak" is so minimal, it's hard to call it an improvement - 98% of the non-designing public wouldn't be able to tell the difference between those 2 logos

the head only version you did is not an improvement, at all, in my opinion, and illustrates the problem that i mentioned earlier with trying to incorporate more mane...the logo gets too vertical and becomes very limiting (coincidentally, that logo has a real buffaslug look about it, and i know you, of all people, would want to avoid that :))

when skye first worked up the head only version the committee asked him to tweak it and make the bottom of the logo similar in shape to the carolina panthers logo - i think skye did a great job of getting close to that without duplicating it

I absolutely agree that skye did a great job with this whole thing .. and i also agree that my nitpicking is just exactly that. its mostly because the lion is so well rendered, that the slightest flaw is what jumped out at me. and i completely agreed with the slug comment ... as i said before, it was done hastily in a few minutes, and more of a conceptual rendition than a literal one ... tighetened it up a bit to a more literal one now. for anyone who didnt see it ... the mane was much longer than the one you see now, and leggman was right ... it was quite "sluggish" (shudder)

I agree with John about the head only mark, as well as the italicised look of the face and crown. It's a great graphic package, but there are things that could help it make the jump from great to perfect, and I think John illustrated those perfectly. With the head logo, you want to keep it from being too vertical, but that's what it's lacking. It's so contained that it looks like it's just a piece cut from a whole, which is exactly what it is. The sweeping mane that John added adds some really nice motion to the logo that it currently lacks.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived