If it was up to me II

AFB

If it was up to me this is how I would do the NHL TV deals.

FOX= Saturday games (1st 13 weeks)

NBC= Saturday Night games (final 13 weeks)

FX= Wednesday Night (1st 13 weeks)

USA= Wednesday Night (final 13 weeks)

All-Star games would be on a Saturday night and it will rotate between FOX & NBC

FOX & FX would televised the 1st quarterfinals

NBC & USA would televised the Semi-finals

FOX & NBC would rotate the conference & the Stanley Cups finals

:hockeysmiley:

What do you think freinds!

NEXT WEEK

THE NBA.

No Fox we don't need no robots in hockey.

NBC- Sunday games (February-End of the Season)

USA-Tuesday & Wednesday Night Games- All Season

FX-Simulcast of CBC HNIC

All-Star games would be on a Saturday night on NBC

USA-Playoffs Tuesday-Thursday

FX-Mondays and Fridays and select Simulcast of CBC coverage so all playoff games are on TV somewhere.

NBC Weekend Coverage and Stanley Cups finals

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

no love for ESPN, or Espen as we like to call it where I'm from.

I'll just sum up every argument against ESPN that has been posted here before:

ESPN never cared about hockey, never advertised that it was airing hockey and never even paid to show it. I may have had higher ratings than VS, but it never made the NHL any money.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I thought they paid $120m/year in the last contract. And I only remember the lack of promotion being a problem with the games on ABC. If the NHL does get another cable partner next year, I would like to see the rights go to USA or perhaps TNT/TBS. It burns me up to think of the league going back to ESPN, hat in hand. FX isn't in the sports business anymore.

I am not sure why many posters have talked about the addition of the USA Network to the NHL package. Even if it was not seen that ESPN "cared" about the sport, what did SportsChannel America actually do when they had the national package? Not much in my opinion (and I did have SportsChannel and Jiggs on my cable system).

What, as it relates to sport, has USA Network done in the past 10-15 years? I know these:

1-They ended the "Tuesday Night Fights" series in 1998 after 17 years.

2-They did not renew their WWE contract from September 2000-October of 2005.

3-They do carry the Westiminster Dog Show, Thursday/Friday coverage of The Masters and the US Tennis Open.

4-While USA ran XFL games in 2001, that was before the creation of NBC-Universal in 2003.

That is all I can think of. Since the creation, they have done little in terms of sports. If they wanted to do something, then I would think that Arena Football games would have been on in the past two years. Plus, unless NBCUniversal goes fully into an HD package, it does not help the HD audience.

Plus, dividing a package up that much would spell doom for the local contracts which the other cable channels. Remember, most FSNs are not owned by one corproation, then there are many issues to finalize if there wold ne multiple national games per season.

I am not sure why many posters have talked about the addition of the USA Network to the NHL package. Even if it was not seen that ESPN "cared" about the sport, what did SportsChannel America actually do when they had the national package? Not much in my opinion (and I did have SportsChannel and Jiggs on my cable system).

What, as it relates to sport, has USA Network done in the past 10-15 years? I know these:

3-They do carry the Westiminster Dog Show, Thursday/Friday coverage of The Masters and the US Tennis Open.

4-While USA ran XFL games in 2001, that was before the creation of NBC-Universal in 2003.

That is all I can think of. Since the creation, they have done little in terms of sports. If they wanted to do something, then I would think that Arena Football games would have been on in the past two years. Plus, unless NBCUniversal goes fully into an HD package, it does not help the HD audience.

Plus, dividing a package up that much would spell doom for the local contracts which the other cable channels. Remember, most FSNs are not owned by one corproation, then there are many issues to finalize if there wold ne multiple national games per season.

Hmm. Almost all of the USA hockey games from the 2006 Olympics, men and women, were on the USA network. So, even though it was basically an NBC broadcast, hockey on USA is not without precedent.

Hmm. Almost all of the USA hockey games from the 2006 Olympics, men and women, were on the USA network. So, even though it was basically an NBC broadcast, hockey on USA is not without precedent.

And USA also had a full U.S. contract early in the 1980's. Regardless, the OP talked about what he would do if he were bettman. However, we can think what we want, but the network does not want to air the programming it means little as a concept.

I can't say with much certainty, but it seems to me that WWE programming leaving the USA Network was not the USA Network's doing. Vince McMahon was shopping those TV rights around for some time, and when he got a sweet deal from TNN (later Spike TV), he made the deal with them.

Of course, TNN/Spike turned out to be a bad move ? it wasn't available in as many households as USA ? so I believe they came back for less money than they could have gotten elsewhere (plus prime time specials on NBC).

So, uh, where's the NHL going to get the money to pay these stations to show it?

Maybe they'll save up enough money from Versus over the next few years. Though Personally I don't see a problem with Versus. I wish Versus would've shown the entire Stanley Cup finals last year. They might have actually shown a post game and not cut out while they were still passing around the Cup. A pre-game would've been good too. Atleast ABC showed a half hour pregame when they had it.

I'll take an obscure channel like Versus with good coverage over some butchered job from a big name channel that doesn't care.

If Versus/Comcast were smart they could easily turn Versus into "Hockey Central" and become a must have channel for American hockey fans. Most American fans just complain about not being able to watch a game every now and then - but if they actually felt like they were missing something they might order it. Put on the World Juniors, college hockey, European champions cup, whatever.

And USA also had a full U.S. contract early in the 1980's. Regardless, the OP talked about what he would do if he were bettman. However, we can think what we want, but the network does not want to air the programming it means little as a concept.

USA Network also carries PGA Golf and the U.S. Open Tennis and does a good job broadcasting those sports. I like Hockey on that network. It better than Versus and all USA plays now everynight but Mondays is Law and Order.

USA didn't run XFL. TNN did, along with UPN and the obvious NBC. I think that's the perfect TV deal, though they shouldn't air night games. Day games are fine.

David

I thought that maybe with the success of HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA that maybe NBC could make the NHL the new primetime sports with the success of Sunday Night Football.

The name would be NBC NHL SATURDAY NIGHT. :hockeysmiley:

Archived