MLB alternate logo project

ltravisjr

With spring training beginning, I thought I would present a little project I have been working on in my free time. My goal has been to create a simple alternate logo for every MLB team. I thought the simplicity of the designs would be easy creative exercises, but I have found out it can be quite a challenge to come up with plausible ideas for each team. Anyway, I will start with the AL Central, in order of last year's standings:

Detroit:

This was the most difficult. There was no real way to come up with anything simpler then the classic "D". All this logo shares with the Tiger identity is the colors, but I could come up with no better idea. It looks more like a school logo to me, but oh well, here it is.

DETALT.png

Minnesota:

I borrowed inspiration from the White Sox's actual alternate (with the diamond) and incorporated the "TC" and state outline. I thought it might be a bit formulaic, but I was rather pleased with how it came out.

MINALT.png

Chicago:

I cheated and went to the archives for this one. I posted it long ago as a cap logo, but I don't think I can do better then the gothic "C" with the sock inside it.

WSOXALT.png

Cleveland:

I couldn't get this idea out of my head when I began the project and I am pleased with the "C" of the Cleveland script with the feather. It fits my goal of being simple but identifiable.

CLEALT.png

Kansas City:

This might be my favorite. It is self explanatory, is simple, and clearly presents the Royals identity

KCALT.png

Well, for better or worse, that's it for the AL Central. As I complete other divisions I will post them as well.

LT

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All good logos.

Tigers - Turn it 180. Have the point of the plate and foot facing up, so psychologically you're saying that they're always aiming to be the best, the way you have it is subconsciously says to me that they're a franchise heading south.

Twins - I like it. Yes, it's similar to Chicago's, but how many times can people try and reinvent the wheel? There's only so much you can do before it's been done before. Good job on it, it's solid.

White Sox - My least favorite of them, that doesn't mean it's bad, just like the others better. It's still good so don't fret over that.

Indians - I like it. It's cool. I'm wondering if the feather shouldn't be a lighter red. The other thing is, maybe put it on top of the "C" in the back.

Royals - Simple I like it. I'm going to say the opposite of the Indians, but put the crown on the front of the R, maybe make the whole crown gold, and lengthen that front leg.

All good logos.

Tigers - Turn it 180. Have the point of the plate and foot facing up, so psychologically you're saying that they're always aiming to be the best, the way you have it is subconsciously says to me that they're a franchise heading south.

Twins - I like it. Yes, it's similar to Chicago's, but how many times can people try and reinvent the wheel? There's only so much you can do before it's been done before. Good job on it, it's solid.

White Sox - My least favorite of them, that doesn't mean it's bad, just like the others better. It's still good so don't fret over that.

Indians - I like it. It's cool. I'm wondering if the feather shouldn't be a lighter red. The other thing is, maybe put it on top of the "C" in the back.

Royals - Simple I like it. I'm going to say the opposite of the Indians, but put the crown on the front of the R, maybe make the whole crown gold, and lengthen that front leg.

Thanks for the critique, oddball. I'm happy you liked them. Anyway, you suggestion regarding the Tigers is a good one. The current version was the way I first imagined it and I never went beyond that, but your suggestion makes sense. For the Indians, I think I sampled their existing colors, but perhaps I overlooked the red. I had the feather at the bottom because it seemed to balance it, but I could be wrong. The idea behind the Royals was to borrow the color scheme of the crown in their current logo, as well as keep the R shape exactly as it appears in their full wordmark. I may well be able to improve the composition of it by sacrificing some of the similarity to their existing primary, but it is a tradeoff and a challenge to know where to draw the line. I am currently working on the AL East, but as I revisit this I will certainly keep your input in mind. Thanks!

LT

I just noticed you said you were putting it in the order that the division ended last year. On the last game of they year, Minnesota beat Chicago and Detroit lost to Kansas City making this the 2006 final standings..

Minnesota Twins (96-66)

Detroit Tigers (95-67)

Chicago White Sox (90-72)

Cleveland Indians (78-84)

Kansas City Royals (62-100)

256dy87.jpg

nice set, i really like the new-ish looks being brought in. I have a royals concept somewhere on my computer that features a very similar R, so i love that idea. i think my favorite is the indians one, that would look really good on a BP jersey or something. nice work, can't wait to see the rest.

I just noticed you said you were putting it in the order that the division ended last year. On the last game of they year, Minnesota beat Chicago and Detroit lost to Kansas City making this the 2006 final standings..

Minnesota Twins (96-66)

Detroit Tigers (95-67)

Chicago White Sox (90-72)

Cleveland Indians (78-84)

Kansas City Royals (62-100)

Oops, you're right - my bad. Apologies to any Twins fans out there!

LT

I still contend that your White Sox monogram ought to be used by the team. Just brilliant use of negative space - and one of my favorite all-time concepts on these boards. Seriously, it deserves to be on their uniforms.

The Royals one is nice, although I've never been a fan of using the nickname initial in a team monogram. But what else are you really going to do with them?

Twins' idea is solid. It'd work. And the tiger paw is very creative, even if just a little bit collegiate.

Least favorite is the Indians. I get where you're going, but their road script font isn't iconic enough IMO to have a letter "C" essentially standing alone with a feather to represent the team. It reminds me of the old logos on Nintendo games like "Bases Loaded" when they didn't pay rights fees to have real MLB teams and their insignias on the game so they made up fake logos.

I'm looking forward to the other 5 divisions.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Good job...

Just one comment: The Tigers Alt is great, but I would turn the foot print 90 degrees, because It looks like the Tiger is scoring from the first base like that...

It Should Be Lawful for the Queen of Hockey Land, by and with the Advice and the Consent of the Sinners and the House of Pain, to Make Laws for Pucks, Hot Dogs and Good Government...

That Chicago one is brilliant.

i agree

Fonz? Is that you? Seriously, it's good that you agree, but giving actual comments and suggestions is actually helpful rather than padding your post count.

As for the logos:

Detroit: Like you said, not really anywhere for you to go with this other than a full Tiger or something. I'm not sure I like it, but I don't think the Tigers need an alt.

Minny: Decent. I actually don't like the diamond much. It might be better simply without the diamond

Chicago: Like VitaminD said, this could be used by the team. Simple, classy.

Tribe: I'd actually play with putting the feather off the top of the C, like as a headdress. Right now, it creates some odd space inside the C.

KC: I love this one. Near perfect for the Royals as an alt. Nice stuff.

DETALT.png

MINALT.png

WSOXALT.png

CLEALT.png

KCALT.png

Detroit has two major problems. First, those aren't Detroit's colors. Second, the tiger print is pointing the wrong way. That print shows that a tiger just crossed home plate running around the bases clockwise. In baseball, you run the bases counter-clockwise.

Minnesota: They already have an alternate logo that is basically this design, except that it's much better. Not sure how you could make this more derivative and less distinctively "Twinsish." Maybe you could make it some other team's colors, too, like the Tigers concept? Seriously, I'd fire the designer who showed me this.

Chicago: It was awesome before; it's awesome now. They ought to wear this on their ballcaps at home, right now, and they should put it on their road uniform sleeves as a patch while they're at it.

Cleveland: Anything that gets rid of Chief Wahoo is a good thing. And this is pretty good on its own, to boot. My only quibbles would be that it gets the colors and color balance of of the Indians all wrong, and that you need to do something to the C so it doesn't look so chopped off at the bottom. Look at the Indians' I secondary to see how to make stand-along cursive letters look good.

Kansas City: Sweet. This is a design that makes me say, "Duh!" as in, "I'd never have thought of doing this, but now that I see it, it's completely obvious." The best logos are like that -- you recognize how original they are, but they communicate what they're meant to communicate so clearly that once you see it you can't believe no one thought of it before. Nicely done.

20082614447.png

Archived