Bring Out The Green Jerseys

nyk

NBA Teams Paint the Town Green With Special Edition St. Patrick?s Day Uniforms

Posted Mar 8 2007 NBA.com

Celtics, Bulls and Knicks Celebrate With Festive Uniforms Featuring NBA/Shamrock Logo

New York ? March 8, 2007 ? For the second consecutive year, the NBA plans to celebrate the St. Patrick?s Day holiday with three teams showcasing Special Edition NBA St. Patrick?s Day Uniforms. The Boston Celtics, Chicago Bulls and New York Knicks will wear specially designed green uniforms during select games beginning March 11.

Three additional teams will get into the holiday spirit during their home games: The Dallas Mavericks will don their green uniforms on March 14 against the Phoenix Suns; the Seattle Supersonics (vs. the Golden State Warriors) and the Milwaukee Bucks (vs. the Charlotte Bobcats) will wear their green road uniforms on March 17. The Sacramento Kings will offer festive St. Patrick?s Day T-shirts designed by adidas.

This is the second year of the St. Patrick?s Day uniform program, which was designed by the league as a way to celebrate specific holidays through limited-edition merchandise and fan gear. Additional products that will accompany the NBA St. Patrick?s Day Uniforms include t-shirts, hats, headbands, wristbands and socks, as well as collector?s pins. Licensing partners participating in the NBA St. Patrick?s Day line include adidas, For Bare Feet and Executive Promotions. Spalding has designed a special St. Patrick?s Day basketball for the Bulls that will be available exclusively at the United Center Arena in Chicago.

The Celtics will wear their special edition green and gold uniform beginning March 11 at home against the Chicago Bulls. The team will maintain its signature road design accented with gold. The Celtics will also wear the uniform when they play the Atlanta Hawks on March 14, Dallas Mavericks on March 16, San Antonio on March 17 and New Orleans/Oklahoma City on March 19.

In Chicago, the traditional red Bulls road uniform will be changed to green. In keeping with tradition, the Bulls logo on the shorts and the back of the jersey will remain in the traditional red and black. The team will wear their green uniforms at home on March 13 and in Memphis on March 17.

The Knicks will wear their St. Patrick?s Day uniform at home on March 16 against New Orleans/Oklahoma City. The uniform is green with orange and black stripes down the sides and trim on the neck. ?NEW YORK? is across the chest of the uniforms in orange letters with white trim.

NBA St. Patrick?s Day merchandise will be available at the world famous NBA Store in New York City on Fifth Avenue, home to the annual St. Patrick?s Day Parade, starting March 8, online at NBAStore.com beginning March 12, as well as select Foot Locker and Champs Stores around the country. Participating teams will make merchandise available via their team shops.

Following is the schedule of games featuring 2007 NBA St. Patrick?s Day Uniforms:

3/11 Celtics* vs. Bulls

3/13 Bulls* vs. Celtics

3/14 Celtics* vs. Hawks

3/16 Celtics vs. Mavericks*

3/16 Knicks* vs. Hornets

3/17 Celtics vs. Spurs*

3/17 Bulls vs. Grizzlies*

3/19 Celtics vs. Hornets*

*Indicates home team

I could actually see the Celtics changing their uniforms for good. As crazy as it sounds, now that Auerbach has passed on, they might change to "fit with the times". The Celtics have sorta gone modern in the last few years. With all the LED boards on the ad boards next to the court.. they introuced those new alts, the dance team.

I'd never want to see the Celtics change anything, and hopefully there would be a backlash, but I wouldnt be surprised.

I'm confused about what they said about the Mavericks, Sonics, and Bucks. They are just wearing their regular green unis right? (Alt in Mavs case) Nothing special? Why even mention them then. It's not a St. Patricks Day thing if they already wear it.

This promotion sucks anyway. My girl got me tickets to that Knicks-Hornets game and now I dont even wanna go because of the green uniforms. It's really bad AT the garden because when the Knicks wear the greens you kinda think the road team is the home team. I remember watching the game on a small TV last year - it was against the pistons and at a brief glance the Pistons home resembles the Knicks home... plus on the garden court. Just a mess. Terrible idea. Although last year they had an exciting win over the Pistons in them.

One idea for the Knicks -- I wish they would base their Green unis around their homes, indead of their roads. Because The ones they have now are the roads, just with green instead of blue, and with orange trim and black stripes. If they used the homes then it would be green with orange and black trim and blue stripes. At least then they might still look like the Knicks - just with green added. That'd be better.

Anyone have time to throw that concept together to see if it might look better?

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

I could actually see the Celtics changing their uniforms for good. As crazy as it sounds, now that Auerbach has passed on, they might change to "fit with the times". The Celtics have sorta gone modern in the last few years. With all the LED boards on the ad boards next to the court.. they introuced those new alts, the dance team.

I'd never want to see the Celtics change anything, and hopefully there would be a backlash, but I wouldnt be surprised.

Don't count on it. That uniform is iconic. Fitting with the times means forgetting their league leading 16 world championships, and remembered the crappy team they have now. Trust me, they will never change.

I'm confused about what they said about the Mavericks, Sonics, and Bucks. They are just wearing their regular green unis right? (Alt in Mavs case) Nothing special? Why even mention them then. It's not a St. Patricks Day thing if they already wear it.

Yes, but they're wearing their green road uniforms at home, to celebrate the holiday. That's the distinction.

It would have been nice to add 3 more teams to the St. Patrick Day Celebration. Maybe turn other teams jerseys green. Imagina a green Lakers jersey.

I'm pretty sure the idea is to do this in only cities with a strong Irish heritage.

Oh, and the C's jersey should be the full-time road jersey, not just an alternate. That thing is gorgeous.

Yeah do that.  Do exactly THAT

It would have been nice to add 3 more teams to the St. Patrick Day Celebration. Maybe turn other teams jerseys green. Imagina a green Lakers jersey.

I'm pretty sure the idea is to do this in only cities with a strong Irish heritage.

Oh, and the C's jersey should be the full-time road jersey, not just an alternate. That thing is gorgeous.

I'd like to see the Boston home jersey be made out of the same double-knit material as the Golden State Warriors' authentic. Then, I'll take the current Boston green-and-black alternate and change all the black to white, and all the white to black. Then I'd change the fabric to the dazzle cloth that the Nuggets use. And I'd make sure the shorts are the ones with the triangles on the sides of the pants.

celticsASHgrnew1.JPG

Agree completely.

That, or they should go back to the 1960s uniforms, with a darker green and serifed "BOSTON" on front. I understand the team was very good in the 1980s wearing these, but they look like they're still in the 1980s with this set, and the team was also very good in the 1960s.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Except the '60s uniforms were roughtly the same as the modern ones, the ones with Boston in front were more late 50's, early 60's; but the bulk of the Russell dynasty was in the more modern jerseys I'm pretty sure. You could call the "Boston" ones more Cousy era; there is some overlap with Russell

• LMU locked this topic

Archived